CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Controversial Discussion: Direction of This Site

Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Lucille
I can only answer from my own perspective. I have spent years over on Fauna watching the fine tuning of this very question. My personal conclusion is that moderation is best useful 'medium rare'.

Too much, and the forum is stilted, not natural, and not enjoyable. Too little and the place becomes a bloody mess, with loud illmannered and/or annoying people driving away many of the quieter types who came for community, not a fight.

However I'm always mindful of those old science fiction stories where you change some little thing and the future is totally unrecognizable as a result, so change can come back and bite you.

Right now,I think this is a good place to be. I also think that Rich trusts his mods to be sort of like cops in a way- their good judgment is what can prevent a conflagration; we see some pandas but there are a boatload that never materialize because of moderator intervention.

A mod can issue a gentle reminder to some and that is enough; others need a trip out to the woodshed. And it takes a good mod to know which is which.

My forum is mostly non cornsnake related. I would be happy to gift the fee to the site and shut it down if people think it is too off topic and if they feel only cornsnake material is appropriate here.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
Carinata
In all I love the memebers of this forum and the forum in general. They rock! Some more than others but I like almost every member of this forum in their own way. A few things that could change are less political threads! They take away from the site and make it a hostile place. Also members pulling things from other sites to this one (Facebook Facebook Facebook!) And when members criticize a member for no other reason than past interactions or what they hear from other members. The corn specific forums are getting cluttered and new member threads are really hard to read just from the thread title. I will think of more later,

Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Members attacking each other personally, instead of attacking their ideas. Name calling. Spiteful antagonism.
It will be VERY difficult to keep a site "nice" without the moderators becoming "not so nice"......

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
It will be VERY difficult to keep a site "nice" without the moderators becoming "not so nice"......
Hah! Now that I'm no longer breeding, producing, or selling, I realize that I have far less incentive to be "nice.". Maybe you can sympathize!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
medusacoils
I realize that the name of this forum/site is "cornsnakes.com. I always thought it was meant to be a place for people, with similar interests (ie corn snakes) to come together and have the kind of discussions that friends would have. That doesn't always necessarily mean, "corn snakes".

It's not that I don't like the pictures, the questions from newer members or even the established members. I think that it's great the way that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Members attacking each other personally, instead of attacking their ideas. Name calling. Spiteful antagonism.
This comment really bothers me, because it's a direct violation of the site rules. Name calling, attacking, antagonism, etc. isn't something that should be taken lightly. In a school system, that behavior would be considered bullying.

I think that behavior needs to stop, but I don't think the menagerie of topics, should go away.

This site is too good and the majority of the visitors and patrons are great. Recently, when faced with a family dilemma, I have seen how great they are. I think it's wrong to judge the site and it's members, by the behavior of a few.

Hope that helps!

Wayne

Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
RobbiesCornField
Love the forum the way it is. There's a few people I can't stand, but until they're banned or leave, I'll just have to put up with them.

I definitely agree that personal attacks have been going a bit too far, which is why I've been attempting to stay out of a lot of the more heated debates lately. Save for a random jab or two.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
Love the forum the way it is. There's a few people I can't stand, but until they're banned or leave, I'll just have to put up with them.
I'll never leave!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post

I definitely agree that personal attacks have been going a bit too far, which is why I've been attempting to stay out of a lot of the more heated debates lately. Save for a random jab or two.
I'm sorry Robbie, I guess I will go sit in my corner!

Wayne

Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
I'm sorry Robbie, I guess I will go sit in my corner!

Wayne
Oh pshaw! You're fun to have around! Who's gonna make fun T-Rex caresheets if you're off in your corner?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #20
Roy Munson
I don't want to start deleting posts. Save the silliness for dyk.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google