CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

OMG OMG PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #51
Nanci
I'm sorry if that's your impression of us here, Timmeh. We'll try to do better.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #52
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I'm sorry if that's your impression of us here, Timmeh. We'll try to do better.
Gotta admit, it IS less boring than it sometimes is.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #53
axis1
I was gonna quote something that someone said earlier, but rather than throw more gasoline on the fire (and I DO LOVE a nice FLAME WAR, occasionally!), maybe I should just say the following without taking sides:

Sometimes, it is really worthwhile to listen to the message without looking at who the messenger is. I have a difficult time with this myself, especially if the message is coming from a source of hypocracy (I'm a Recovering Catholic so, need I say more on that issue?). However, if the same thing that a hypocrite says is stated by someone who I respect, I am more apt to listen to it. But why? Especially if they're BOTH saying the same thing? So, even if someone you don't really care for is telling you something, sometimes you need to just look at WHAT they are saying so as not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Just sayin'.

So, who's up for a game of dodgeball with a flammable pumpkin?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #54
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh___ View Post
Not that I've never seen toxic, it's just that I wouldn't expect someone here to be this rude and people stand with said rude person. Congrats on 1,000 posts by the way.
There are both sides to the coin here the way I see it:

1. Karl's stance. I've seen it on a number of forums that I've participated on over the 20 years I've been cruising the internet. Some of those members were naturally that way, some "learned" that way through constantly repeating themselves. No one is holding them to the candle to reply either, yet as frustrated as they are they keep replying. I've been one of those such (learned) individuals, particularly when it came to leopard geckos. I get it and I, at times, am in the same boat as Karl rowing right along with him.

2. Again, while I understand where Karl is coming from - I truly get it - I also enjoy helping out. A number of people here also seem to feel that same way, whether they've only got a year of experience and 1000 posts or years of experience and approaching 80k posts. Speaking of the later, Nanci, just go look at her personal sub-forum here (SnickerSnakes) to see all the helpful and heartfelt information she's posted within in.

I think you're confusing standing with rude with sympathizing with rude. You're 16, should you ever find yourself possibly working retail at a pet store, be it corporate or mom & pop, you'll soon find yourself understanding Karl. You may not stand with him, but you'll definitely sympathize. The worst part (for me) of getting to understand it at that level is holding a BS in Biology, mind you during a depression (not a recession), and receiving the backhanded compliment of, "Wow, you're knowledgeable! Did you go to school for this? Why aren't you doing something better with your degree?"

At the end of the day, even the kindest, nicest of people have to vent; even if it is over something as simple as answering beginner questions.

Here's a little hint though: It's not that simple, because if you step back and think about it. If the wrong information is given, you and anyone else that repeats it are shaping and molding a bad habit(s) for a beginner species. Habit(s) that could lead to a poor experience in keeping what we love, be it as simple as corn snakes or leopard geckos to as difficult as Uroplatus, Naultinus, or Boelen's pythons.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google