CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

How to transport my snake after feeding.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh___ View Post
How not to make someone feel welcomed on the forums.
Hey Timmeh! How ya been dude?

Sorry to have laughed at your (or anyone's) expense. Not my style to hurt feelings purposely (though I seem to do a BANG-UP job at it unintentionally, which just makes me wonder, ya know?). However, if you personalize anything that anyone says, and I know it's difficult NOT TO when it's directed AT you, but you're going to be in for a looonnngg and unhappy life, in my opinion. I think it's better to develop either an ability to ignore people when necessary or a very thick skin! Both is even BETTER!!!

Just a suggestion. Remember, people say what they say from the safety of being somewhat untouchable from behind a computer or phone screen. If they were face-to-face with you, would they say the same thing? Probably not or who knows? The point is, it's not worth personalizing or getting upset over. To learn this now will keep you ahead of the game for decades to come! Believe me!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Zombiegirl
You could always invest in a snake hook...I use one for my snakes with 'tude and it's a lot safer than using tongs...just my $0.02.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #13
Giga
You could just feed in the normal cage, dispensing with the feeding bin altogether, and thus completely avoid the problem?

I've always fed mine in the cage with no problem.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
You could just feed in the normal cage, dispensing with the feeding bin altogether, and thus completely avoid the problem?

I've always fed mine in the cage with no problem.
There are SO many pros & cons about feeding in a separate tub. However, it seems like there are many more pros, especially in the area of cleanliness, so I think I'll stick to feeding my sneaky ones separately from their enclosure. Besides, most folks who don't are either breeders or those with so many snakes that to feed each snake in a separate bin would be extremely impractical! Like having only one porta potty at a biker's rally, ya know? Or a facsimile thereof!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
Giga
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
There are SO many pros & cons about feeding in a separate tub. However, it seems like there are many more pros, especially in the area of cleanliness, so I think I'll stick to feeding my sneaky ones separately from their enclosure. Besides, most folks who don't are either breeders or those with so many snakes that to feed each snake in a separate bin would be extremely impractical! Like having only one porta potty at a biker's rally, ya know? Or a facsimile thereof!
I suppose cleanliness might be a concern; you do very occasionally get blood or other substances on the substrate, but simple spot cleaning after feeding sorts that out, and I have rarely found it necessary with my mild mannered corn. Otherwise, moving them has a number of cons - if it's a timid snake (like mine), moving them risks stressing them so that they won't eat (mine won't eat if there's someone in the same room as him), or risks getting bitten if it's a food-aggressive snake and the smell of mouse in the air makes it nippy. And then you have to carry a now food-heavy snake back to their normal enclosure which means a) more risk of getting bitten and b) discomfort on the snake's distended belly, which can cause a regurge (I appreciate this is rare and is often a sign of mishandling, but on the other hand, there's no risk whatsoever when you just leave 'em be). There's also the fact that the snake is going to come to associate the food bin with food and possibly get excitable/nippy at the sight of it. You might argue that they just associate hands with food if fed in the cage and that that's worse, but I would argue that a) if you're handling as often as I do (5-6x a week), they're going to associate hands with being handled first and being fed second, b) I usually place the mouse somewhere in such a way that they can't actually see my hands and have to explore for their dinner, so it's not a concern and c) even if you don't handle often and they can see your hands when you offer, it's no different than them associating hands with feeding tub and therefore with food anyway.

The cleanliness issue is definitely a minor con of cage-feeding, but I think it's outweighed by the pros. My corn nor my sand boa would not eat if he was first handled and plonked in a box, and my false water cobra would go berserk every time he laid eyes on the feeding tub. OPs little corn biting is no big deal, but falsies are big and mildly venomous - I don't wanna' get bit. Luckily my guy is a gentleman and has never tried to bite outside of food time. With rat in the air he's a different kettle of fish entirely.

It certainly isn't a time thing for me; I only have three snakes (four soon!), and I devote a lot of time to caring for and handling them.

All that having been said, while I do believe cage feeding is better, I don't think there's anything wrong with tub feeding if your snake is neither easily put off by being handled nor likely to get overly excited... I just don't really see the point. Basically it isn't very important whether people cage-feed or tub-feed.

I wanted to mention it here though because I want OP to know that if moving their snake post feed is a problem, they can easily circumvent it by cage-feeding to no ill-effect whatsoever.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #16
DollysMom
This "where to feed" thing can become a huge and ugly debate. I've seen it happen.

I'm certainly not a mod here, but would prefer if this is going to morph into a "where to feed" debate thread, that a new thread on that subject be started.

The topic of this thread is safely moving the snake back its enclosure after feeding. While not moving the snake is a solution, debating the pros and cons of where to feed can quickly blow up. Sad especially because each has its pros and cons but neither is always right or always wrong.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Giga
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
This "where to feed" thing can become a huge and ugly debate. I've seen it happen.
Huh really? I wouldn't have thought it mattered that much. Some things that people argue about I can understand because it really matters in terms of animal welfare - things like enclosure size, breeding of morphs with known physical issues and live-feeding - I can understand where the upset comes from, but where to feed? I dunno' I just find it a really minor issue. I think cage-feeding is best over all and wanted OP to know it was something they could consider to overcome the biting issue, but I don't feel that strongly.

I really didn't mean to cause an argument; I'm new and wasn't aware that it was a sensitive subject. Sorry if it came across as at all argumentative

Old 07-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #18
Zombiegirl
Quote:
Huh really? I wouldn't have thought it mattered that much.
To some people it really does, and she's right...I've also seen some pretty ugly debates/arguments over the proper "where to feed" issue. Personally I feed in separate bins...it gives me a chance to spot clean, change water, etc without having to worry about disturbing the snakes. I've never had an issue moving mine back to their vivs after they've eaten. Granted, I have a system in which I don't have to move any of them far (i.e. into a different room, etc). I have one snake that I feed in her viv and that's only because she flat out refuses to eat in a different tub...my rubber boa. All of the rest of them have no issue. Personal preference

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
Huh really? I wouldn't have thought it mattered that much. Some things that people argue about I can understand because it really matters in terms of animal welfare - things like enclosure size, breeding of morphs with known physical issues and live-feeding - I can understand where the upset comes from, but where to feed? I dunno' I just find it a really minor issue. I think cage-feeding is best over all and wanted OP to know it was something they could consider to overcome the biting issue, but I don't feel that strongly.

I really didn't mean to cause an argument; I'm new and wasn't aware that it was a sensitive subject. Sorry if it came across as at all argumentative
It's fine and I purposely kept my comment non-personal. I hoped just to not go there on this thread at least.

For the record, I feed two out and one in so its not like I ride only one horse in this race.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google