CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How often should make snake poop?

Old 04-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Albino Billy
Red face How often should make snake poop?

Billy is 4 feet long and I fed him two rat pups last Wed. and Thurs. (One Wed and the other early Thursday morning) He pooped yesterday and today. Is that normal? How often are they supposed to go potty?

*Note* The only reason I fed him that way is because he was actually found in a parking lot and I didn't know how hungry he was and he wouldn't take the small rat I offered. I fed him one rat pup and he greedily ate it up. I offered him the other, larger one the next morning just to see if he might still be hungry and he ate that one faster than the other one. Now I will go to a mouse once a week...

I just was wondering about his poop and how often he will go. Did he do two because he ate two rats?

Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albino Billy
Billy is 4 feet long and I fed him two rat pups last Wed. and Thurs. (One Wed and the other early Thursday morning) He pooped yesterday and today. Is that normal? How often are they supposed to go potty?

*Note* The only reason I fed him that way is because he was actually found in a parking lot and I didn't know how hungry he was and he wouldn't take the small rat I offered. I fed him one rat pup and he greedily ate it up. I offered him the other, larger one the next morning just to see if he might still be hungry and he ate that one faster than the other one. Now I will go to a mouse once a week...

I just was wondering about his poop and how often he will go. Did he do two because he ate two rats?
To be honest, I don't know what's normal for your snake, I don't believe there is a normal cycle down to a "day". It all vary's with the genetic of the snake and the feeding schedule and such. So what I do is to keep a chart and note what I see and do, poop, feeding, shedding etc. Then you'll start to figure all that out.
Just so you know that corn snake are opportunists eater so they will eat anytime. What I suggest is feeding it an food item that is no greater than 1 1/2 times of the snakes girth, and just to feed on one day not two day.
Consitering the snake was on his on for a bit make it more of an opportunist eater. I would think.

Good luck and post a picture on the snake.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
Albino Billy
Smile

This is a picture of Billy I took last night. He seems to really like my 13 year old son.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Lennycorn
Good looking snake you have, Holly.

Good luck with it.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Albino Billy
Thanks, I sure think he is pretty. Once I get this heating thing down pat, I will rest easier. I am so terrified that he is going to get too warm or get a belly burn from his uth. I am getting great advice but it is all mixed. Most people are telling me to use newspaper between the uth and the aspen and then I am hearing I need to NOT use newspaper and use a towel and get a probe and not trust the digital stick on thermometer. Ugh! I am so confused. I guess it would help if I didn't have OCD. LOL! But his home has to be perfect and I am making myself crazy trying to make sure he isn't harmed by that uth.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albino Billy
Thanks, I sure think he is pretty. Once I get this heating thing down pat, I will rest easier. I am so terrified that he is going to get too warm or get a belly burn from his uth. I am getting great advice but it is all mixed. Most people are telling me to use newspaper between the uth and the aspen and then I am hearing I need to NOT use newspaper and use a towel and get a probe and not trust the digital stick on thermometer. Ugh! I am so confused. I guess it would help if I didn't have OCD. LOL! But his home has to be perfect and I am making myself crazy trying to make sure he isn't harmed by that uth.
Yeah, You will get different opinions. On the top of some of the forum there is a FAQ you should read. Basic care and such> My Computer is down and I'm using a laptop, so I can't give you some link yet. Don't sweat it too much , corn are pretty "sturdy", just work out what you can and fine tune as you go. Do try to get the temp of the uth down so the snake won't get burnt is then main concern, how is up to you . Using paper towel to newspaper until you get a probe. And yes the stick on thermometer are junk,they just give you the air temp not the substrate temp where the snake is.You be fine.
Hides...you can be used food boxes, depending on the snake size, to save money, flower pot too. If funny what you could use. Just read up on some old post too , scroll down to the archive to the very bottom right and click.
Hope this help.

Good Luck

Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Albino Billy
Thanks... I was concerned for him til I get the probe so I put a thin layer of newspaper over the glass where the uth is, then felt it until I knew it wouldn't be hot if he burrowed and laid right on top of that and then I put the aspen. I am getting a probe today and will adjust accordingly. He has two hides, one I bought because it is the only one I found that is big enough for him, it looks like a rock, really nice. The other I made out of a box. That is what my brother always used and he seems to like them both. I have one at his cool end and the other over his uth. Good?

Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
BeckyG
A second what Lenny said, only feed your corn on one day per week. It won't hurt him that one time you did it, but in future, pick a feeding day and stick with it. Your snake looks big enough to to be eating every 7 days.

That is one good looking snake you have there. It actually looks like a butter or a creamsicle to me. How lucky you are to have found him! Lucky for him as well.

Hides made out of boxes are fine. The snake doesn't care, just so long as he feels safe. The fancy ones are for your benefit, not his.

I responded to your other post, hopefully in a way that is clear and consise. Many of the responses you got didn't make sense to me, either. But some people like to make things much more complicated than they have to be.

Good luck with Billy. He is gorgeous.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Albino Billy
I got your other post on heating and THANKS SO MUCH! Yeah, I didn't want to feed him on two different days BUT as I said, he refused the small rat (to me it was too big too but the pet store guy argued) So, when I gave him the rat pup, he gobbled it up and then took off to his hide. I didn't want to mess with him anymore because I didn't want him to regurgitate and it seemed like a snack instead of a meal (it was a smaller one and didn't even make a lump when he ate it) Sooooo... I let him have the second one in the early hours of the next morning. I won't do that again, promise, that was just to get his belly full. He has a very small head for being so long and thick in the middle. I think a breeder mouse would be a good size for him (1 1/2 times his head girth, right?)
Yeah, the pretty hides are for me, definitely, since he is in a large viv and where he can be seen in that room when you walk in, I wanted his home to look as nice as mine, hehehehe... But he does have his one box because it was such a perfect size and all the pretty hides at the stores are too small but for the one I got him.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Albino Billy
Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you, I had posted a few days after I found him and then found this forum to get lots of info. He was found by me and my husband as we were walking through our condos, he was just stretched out in the parking lot. We have checked all the usual places where someone would post or call to report a missing pet and no one has looked for him that way. We all love him and hope to give him a good, long, happy life.
I didn't know he was a butter until I came on here. With his coloration, I thought he was albino. I am not used to morphs and this is a great learning experience. I had already put the name, Albino Billy, on as my screen name but we officially renamed him, Butter Billy. LOL!