CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heating Problem

Old 07-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
MadApocalypse
Heating Problem

well i have had my corn snake for about 2 weeks and i noticed a problem my room stays about 70-80 and when i use my heat lamp there times it will go to 90 in there so im having a problem using any heating for my corn during the day ( if i don’t use heat it stays between 80-85 during the day an 75-80 during night )

where i live corn snakes are found in the wild so should i use heat or will my room temp be fine ?

Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
HerpsOfNM
Those room temps will suffice. Your other option is to use a light bulb with reduced wattage. Most appliance bulbs have the same style base as what you are most likely using. Those bulbs are 25 watts. The other 2 options are 1) using an under cabinet halogen-xenon puck light coupled with a slide dimmer switch or 2) investing into a properly sized heat pad and the forum-recommended hydrofarm thermostat.

I use the puck light and dimmer switch combo for small gecko cages, like the Phelsuma I keep. If you have a large cage that's set up semi-naturalistically I could see keeping the basking light route. However, the energy saving and safer heating route is honestly using a heat pad and thermostat combo.

If you search the forum, you can find amazon links to the hydrofarm thermostat, as well as I believe I've posted links to the puck lights and dimmer switch that can readily be found at home depot.

Additional note, invest in a good digital thermometer for accurate temp reading, or even better a laser thermometer. You can get the laser thermometer at harbor freight.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #3
MadApocalypse
the bulb im using for my heating lamp is a 100w bulb

Old 07-24-2016, 02:06 AM   #4
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadApocalypse View Post
the bulb im using for my heating lamp is a 100w bulb
WAY too much wattage for either of the tank sizes you've mentioned in other posts.

If you are using a 100watt bulb and a simple analog (dial) thermometer, you are WAY hotter than 90°F. Analog (dial) thermometers use a bimetallic strip that coiled and moves as it heats or cools. They are seriously inaccurate to a potentially lethal level for reptile keeping needs.

For comparison:
I use a 60 watt on a 20 gallon long for some young box turtles that puts the basking site to 90-95. In a pinch when I've had a power sun (mercury vapor bulb) die on my ackies or beardie, I've used a 75 watt GE reveal incandescent to bring my basking site on a 40 gallon up to and over 100°F. The PowerSuns are 100W and bring the immediate basking site into the 110-120°F range.

You should be at 40 (60watts max) for the standard screw-in type incandescent bulb. GE has reworked their reveal incandescent bulbs, and if I recall, what was 60w is now rated at 43w which should work.

For now I'd ditch using a bulb for cage heating if your room is at the ambient range you've mentioned. My herp room is of similar ambient heat, where my holdback/hatchling rack is the only rack without heat in the room. Temps are routinely in the low to mid 80s within the rack.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:29 AM   #5
MadApocalypse
thank u so much
what would be the best way to heat him without getting it to hot ( I know uth but that's not possible with my tank an stand atm ) and sorry if I ask so many questions this is my first ever snake

Old 07-24-2016, 02:43 AM   #6
HerpsOfNM
  1. aluminum (HVAC) tape...found down the ducting aisle. NOT "duck" tape or duct tape, but aluminum tape, once the heat pad is in place, use the tape to secure the outer edges to avoid having them accidentally peel http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Ta...7792/100030120

2. vinyl feet - used to elevate the tank, place at each corner and 1 in the middle on each long side. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9964/100047252
    http://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-12-Pa...umpers/3034874

3. a quality UTH...I say quality, but I honestly use zoomed heat pads

4. hydrofarm thermostat - this one is Jump Start, but it's the same thing as the Hydrofarm https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-Ce...arm+thermostat

There is the sticker shock of going UTH, but truthfully you'll save in the long run on energy costs compared to using a basking bulb. Depending on cage size, you're looking at 8w or 16w for the small or medium Zoomed heat pad, plus whatever wattage the thermostat pulls. Later you can invest into something like a herpstat by Spyder Robotics, which offers proportional or pulse heating. Pulse, IIRC is simply on/off 100% power. Proportional actually maintains a set temperature, based upon probe readout, and then uses a percentage of power to bring your heating device back to temp. If you really need to come up to temp, it might use 80%, if you're just slightly off, it may only use 10%. It's a lot more efficient.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
MadApocalypse
what Is the aluminum tape for tho ?

Old 07-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #8
HerpsOfNM
you tape the perimeter of the heat pad to keep in place. Some UTH do not have an adhesive side and need to be taped into place. The aluminum is flame resistant, and shouldn't dry rot like "duck" tape will over time from being heated. The Zoomed UTH do have an adhesive side, but I'd still secure the outer edges with aluminum tape.

BE CAREFUL USING THE TAPE. It does have a sharp edge and can cut you. I've been cut by both the tape at home and also using it in another form as a cover for toxicology lab sampling plates. The cover form managed to slice through 2 layers of nitrile gloves, but thankfully did not slice me.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 AM   #9
MadApocalypse
thanks for the help ^^

Old 07-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #10
hypnoctopus
I love that foil tape. I use it now with all my heat pads. I stick a piece of aluminum foil to the sticky part of the heat pad and then use the aluminum foil tape to place it wherever I want.

Another thing to consider is that the under tank heater does not have to go underneath the tank if that will not work with your setup. You can stick anywhere along the lower walls (on the outside of the tank) so that it can get proper air flow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google