• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Luis Torres - BEWARE!

Rich, I know this isn't a laughing matter, far from it. But I was amused by the first ad right at the end of your thread on Fauna Classifieds:

Debt Solved in 24 Hours.
Write Off Debt You Can't Afford. Free Advice - No Obligation.
www.debt24.com

Taking someone to court, especially across the country, is VERY expensive to do, and basically not a feasible plan. Unless the "damages" are $100K or above, I doubt most attorneys would even want to talk to you.

I seriously doubt Luis will ever pay me the money he owes me. Surprises me, because I've known the guy a pretty long time. Just goes to show you, it's only the people you trust that can screw you. So when you are in business, it actually is better to trust no one. Unfortunate, but those few bad apples (especially those that are bad on the inside and look good on the outside) spoil it for everyone.

I found this kind of late and sure the statute of limitations has already expired but: you could have sued him in small claims court locally. Usually the laws of the state where the business is located are the laws that apply, which means where you are, not him. Now of course you would have spent a couple hundred bucks in court costs and notices, but you could have gotten a judgement against him and maybe placed a lien on any property he has.

Just a thought.

I found this kind of late and sure the statute of limitations has already expired but: you could have sued him in small claims court locally. Usually the laws of the state where the business is located are the laws that apply, which means where you are, not him. Now of course you would have spent a couple hundred bucks in court costs and notices, but you could have gotten a judgement against him and maybe placed a lien on any property he has.

Just a thought.

I believe it would have just been throwing good money after bad.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Minor point of interest, but it seems to me that even if you succeed in getting everyone else to avoid "selling" him stuff, he may eventually try to offload YOUR snakes that he's stolen....at which point, he gets away with it altogether.
This makes a very good case for using RFID tags in your animals. I know they are kind of expensive & generally used only in high-end specimens, but...think about it this way, they are tagged with your info until they are paid for in full and THEN you transfer ownership....otherwise, they are liable for THEFT, in a criminal court of law. ;^)
(And yes, I am already thinking about the pitfalls of trying to insert those little tags into tiny hatchlings!)
I really shouldn't let my mind wander...it's too little to out by itself!

I live in Southern Utah, and will be traveling near Murray next month. If you have the guys address and get an injunction I'd be glad to pick up your snakes for you.

I'm glad this is on here, because I'm such a newbie If I ever order online I will be posting on the forum asking for any advice or good breeders. I never even thought about this.

Thanks for the warning.

So beware of ANYONE from Utah offering to get animals from you. Even if he offers cash up front, please recall that he will still be using the animals he stole from me with YOUR animals to further his ambitions.

This whole thing is unfortunate. And seems to have happened awhile ago. Is this still an issue? And because I live in Utah, does that mean people will be hesitant to sell to me or buy from me if I were to breed? I find that a little unfair however, I can understand where the hesitation comes from. Just wondering, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Glad to see the warning. Even though I'm not looking to buy or sell anything now, I'm happy tosee anything that might prevent people like this from doing it again.
One point I wanted to make, Rich. You're assuming he's looking to buy, therefore he has money he should be paying you. I would tend to think that he's just looking to rip someone else off...but that's just me.

Guys.. this originally happened 3 years ago. I'm sure Rich has counted his losses by now.

For the new people, it's always good to check the BOI out if you're unsure of a seller when buying from people online.

just read this thread. im also not looking to buy any snakes right now and i will probably struggle a little when i do as im a uk member. But i just wanted to say weldone for putting this out there and making people aware of the slime ball.

"For the new people, it's always good to check the BOI out if you're unsure of a seller when buying from people online."- What is BOI? (probably a stupid quewstion) And how would i check it when/if i decide to buy online in future?

just read this thread. im also not looking to buy any snakes right now and i will probably struggle a little when i do as im a uk member. But i just wanted to say weldone for putting this out there and making people aware of the slime ball.

"For the new people, it's always good to check the BOI out if you're unsure of a seller when buying from people online."- What is BOI? (probably a stupid quewstion) And how would i check it when/if i decide to buy online in future?

Here's a link to the Board Of Inquiry forum -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Early this week I was QUITE surprised to find an envelope in my post office box containing a money order from Luis Torres in the amount of the remainder (I think, I don't recall any longer...) that he owed me from those animals I sent him. I honestly never expected to hear from Luis again. So I now consider this matter to be closed and over with.

Thanks Luis, but I honestly regret losing your friendship.

Are you saying it's safe to do bizness with Luis now?

What I stated was that Luis sent me a money order. Nothing more, nothing less in regards to your choosing to do business with him. Hopefully you would consider going into a transaction with him armed with enough knowledge to make a rational decision about it.

Early this week I was QUITE surprised to find an envelope in my post office box containing a money order from Luis Torres in the amount of the remainder (I think, I don't recall any longer...) that he owed me from those animals I sent him. I honestly never expected to hear from Luis again. So I now consider this matter to be closed and over with.

Thanks Luis, but I honestly regret losing your friendship.

Are you shizzling me??? This thread, and my hatred of LT, by association, has been a staple in my CS.com life for as long as I can remember.

Congratulations

Are you shizzling me??? This thread, and my hatred of LT, by association, has been a staple in my CS.com life for as long as I can remember.

Congratulations

Oh my goodness, me too! What in tarnation am I going to do now???

Back