CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

new baby okeetee corn snake

Old 07-24-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
RaiseD
Question new baby okeetee corn snake

Hi all this is my first ever post here and i just bought my new and first snake yesterday and i have a few questions for yall!

first of all i bought the book "the corn snake manual" which helped me a lot but i still has a few interrogation. I bought a 3 weeks old snake and he is really agitated. i'd like to know if its normal for any baby snake to be stressed like she seems to be ( cause she is a female hehe). Everytime i try to touch her she just move HELLA fast and run for the other side of her vivarium. hope she will become more and more tamed and plz tell me she is not an hyper-excited snake...hehe

well that is all thnaks in advance and hope i will love my first snake!

bye all,
Raised

Old 07-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #2
SilverTongue
What would you do if a GIANT HARRY MONSTER that you didnt know reached down to pick you up??!!! Especialy when you thought you were safe in your hide???

It is gonna take time they are more tense when they are young. Try putting one of your socks in the cage with her so c\she can get use to your sent, LoL but dont be crule LOL

Old 07-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
RaiseD
...you serisous? putting oen of my socks in the cage??? hmm isnt there any other way to let them know im not that big hairy monster he thinks i am

Old 07-24-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
SilverTongue
Time and paitence! I am sure others have some great advice also

Old 07-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #5
SilverTongue
Ohhh also make sure to handle her every except after you have fed her for 48 hours and when she is shedding okie!

Old 07-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #6
Alicia
Give her some time to settle in. I know it's hard to leave them alone when you first get them, but it's the best thing. Leave her undisturbed for 3 days. She is just afraid right now. Read your Corn Snake Manual front to back and back to front Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2002, 03:06 PM   #7
reaper
hi and welcome

you should give her a chance to settle in to her viv before trying to handle her give her atleast 3 days without touching her or picking her up let her feed then leave for 2 days after she feeds then start handleing her for short periods at a time like 5 mins every day unless shedding or just fed.

good luck

this site has helped me a lot so injoy your corn and dont be afraid to ask

Old 07-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #8
apollo's mom
maybe not your socks...

maybe a shirt instead of your socks. i think if a big hairy monster chased me around the left their socks in my home id be upset. lol just teasing but yeah the sock thing always comes up as a way to get the snake used to your scent. a shirt will also work. or if you dont want to leave your shirt for snake poo then wash a rag in your typical detergent and carry it around and handle it a lot for a day. make sure to rub your hands all over it a lot. but the most important thing is to let your snake settle in to her new home first. after she has a chance to explore and start feeling safe then she can calm down a bit. after that it will be good to start handling her a little at a time daily (except after feeds and before sheds). eventually your baby will love you and hug you and squeeze you and name you george. grats on the new snake

Old 07-25-2002, 03:25 PM   #9
RaiseD
well thank you all for all the info, I really apreciate it and i wont hesitate whenever i have a question about my snake. I'm really happy to have found this nice helping forums. Thanks again, i have another question this time about shedding. When will she shed for the first time? is it always the same for each snake? how much time before her first yuo guys think?

RaiseD

Old 07-30-2002, 03:54 PM   #10
srw3897
solution

i know what it feels like. My snake was the same at first and was even trying to bite me. Dont worry she wont bite you she just wants you to think that. She probably wasnt handled much before so handle her and she will get used to you very soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google