• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I need help identifying my snake.

redwillow

Pacer fan
I bought this snake at a convention from a breeder who looked fairly professional compared to the other breeders. She was in a case with one other snake who looked almost identical to her and they were labeled as caramel. I posted pics of her a few days ago and I received allot of feedback suggesting that she was not a caramel. I looked at over 100 babies at the convention and picked her so I am definitely not disappointed, but I would like to know what she is so I can pick her out a boyfriend. She is orange like a Terra Cotta pot.

Attachments

• 140055393669_3300_1.jpg
    140055393669_3300_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 140055489029_3300_1.jpg
    140055489029_3300_1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 161
  • 140055314053_3300_1.jpg
    140055314053_3300_1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 161
What a pretty snake!

Dean, I looked at the head shot and saw that the outlines to the head patterns are mighty faint...what do you think of this little one being a hypo? I was leaning more towards hypo until I saw your post and you know your morphs more then I do so I don't want to contradict you.

Red willow, Was there a label on the tub? what did it say? If your snake had caramel 'anything' on the tub then I would say it would be het caramel which means it would carry one copy of the gene but not be actually a caramel in it's looks (please excuse me if you know about genetics, I'm trying to really simplify it just in case you're a genetics newbie!)

Good luck with your new snakie!

At first I thought hypo because of how vibrant it is, however it has black enough borders for it to be a classic corn...

I was thinking hypo as well...but I'm not going to argue with you Dean (Hoping you don't mind me calling you that? ;) ). I'm one of the afore-mentioned genetic/morph newbies :grin01:

princess said:
What a pretty snake!

Dean, I looked at the head shot and saw that the outlines to the head patterns are mighty faint...what do you think of this little one being a hypo? I was leaning more towards hypo until I saw your post and you know your morphs more then I do so I don't want to contradict you.

Hey Adèle! Long time no see. :) I wouldn't say that I know morphs better than you do at all. And I never trust my hypo conclusions. I'd say that there's a good chance that you're right, though. Better photos would help. :)

Thanks for the input and compliments everyone. I think she looks hypo too. She was labeled as a caramel so hopefully she is het for caramel. I was a genetics newbie until I found this site. :) I'm aiming to breed caramel-bloodreds. What would be the best boyfriend for her?

redwillow said:
Thanks for the input and compliments everyone. I think she looks hypo too. She was labeled as a caramel so hopefully she is het for caramel. I was a genetics newbie until I found this site. :) I'm aiming to breed caramel-bloodreds. What would be the best boyfriend for her?
Well, I would never base a project that was important to me on a possible het. I'd probably get another male and another female. I'd get a male amber (het blood if you can find it), and a female bloodred (het caramel if you can find it). You could breed this suspected hypo to the male amber, and possibly prove both the hypo and the caramel het in the female. Then you could breed the amber and the bloodred to produce normals het for caramel, hypo, and blood to start your project. It would be a tremendous shortcut if you could find the hets I specified. :)

I think your little one looks like a hypo. Are her borders brown or black? They look brown in the pics. Anyway, there is no way of knowing for certain unless you do breeding trials when she is old/big enough.

Beautiful little one, by the way!

Back