CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Worried about stunting babies growth

Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
smale492
Unhappy Worried about stunting babies growth

So I weighed the pinkies that were suppose to be 2-3 grams... and some didnt even clock in at 1 gram and even that only some came in at 1... I feed him 2 and this time 3 just because I feel like his growth may be impacted... since he was so small when I got him months ago and didn't eat right away... I am worried he is small at 23 grams from being multiple months (got him in fall and he didnt eat like at all over the winter). I was thinking of getting small fuzzies soon 4-5 grams just so he can possibly get back on track.

He eats everything presented to him and has never regurged and is very alert at all times if that is ever a question and temps are always perfect shockingly.

Advice would be welcomed and maybe name of a good online frozen mice breeder?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
A growing snake (babies) eat roughly 10% to 13% of their body weight per feeding. This is why it's important to weigh both the snake and the items being fed to it. You have already done both.

Since your snake weighs currently @ 23 grams, he should be eating 2.76 grams per feeding. As he grows, so should his meals. You stated the pinkies you have weigh about 1 gram or so each. Just feed 2 or 3 at a time until he gets bigger. Plain and simple.

And no, at 23 grams, he's not big enough yet for Fuzzies. Most Fuzzies are around 3 to 4 grams. (You might be able to find smaller ones, but once again, too big an item is even worse than too small an item. An item too big can cause a regurgitation which is harmful, even deadly to snakes.) Most people switch to Fuzzies at around 35 grams.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
A growing snake (babies) eat roughly 10% to 13% of their body weight per feeding. This is why it's important to weigh both the snake and the items being fed to it. You have already done both.

Since your snake weighs currently @ 23 grams, he should be eating 2.76 grams per feeding. As he grows, so should his meals. You stated the pinkies you have weigh about 1 gram or so each. Just feed 2 or 3 at a time until he gets bigger. Plain and simple.

And no, at 23 grams, he's not big enough yet for Fuzzies. Most Fuzzies are around 3 to 4 grams. (You might be able to find smaller ones, but once again, too big an item is even worse than too small an item. An item too big can cause a regurgitation which is harmful, even deadly to snakes.) Most people switch to Fuzzies at around 35 grams.
Sounds like a good plan yeah I will just keep feeding him 2-3. Do you know of any good online sellers of frozen mice, because I am kinda pissed they dont actually weigh the advertised price the pinkies were suppose to be.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to purchase mice online. First of all, you have to buy huge bulk to actually save any money. The shipping charges are outrageous.
If a person had dozens of snakes I could see it being a good idea, but if you're like me and have a single pet snake, you can easily find all you need at local pet shops for reasonable prices.

So you could purchase 200 pinkies and get a bargain rate, but you probably only need 20 or 30 before you switch to fuzzies. So than you have all those pinkies left over. Then you purchase 200 fuzzies to get a good price and after feeding 30 of them he is ready for hoppers. And on and on. I can get 4 large frozen mice at any pet store for about 12 bucks. And I don't have to worry about if they arrive frozen or not. I don't have to worry about if I miss the delivery. I don't have to worry about if they are way under weight (like your current situations is proving to be.)

I've just always been the kind of person that I like to see what I am actually purchasing, and I tend to not buy anything online unless I can't find it elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to purchase mice online. First of all, you have to buy huge bulk to actually save any money. The shipping charges are outrageous.
If a person had dozens of snakes I could see it being a good idea, but if you're like me and have a single pet snake, you can easily find all you need at local pet shops for reasonable prices.

So you could purchase 200 pinkies and get a bargain rate, but you probably only need 20 or 30 before you switch to fuzzies. So than you have all those pinkies left over. Then you purchase 200 fuzzies to get a good price and after feeding 30 of them he is ready for hoppers. And on and on. I can get 4 large frozen mice at any pet store for about 12 bucks. And I don't have to worry about if they arrive frozen or not. I don't have to worry about if I miss the delivery. I don't have to worry about if they are way under weight (like your current situations is proving to be.)

I've just always been the kind of person that I like to see what I am actually purchasing, and I tend to not buy anything online unless I can't find it elsewhere.
Yeah I feel ya but sadly it is my only opportunity since... the town I go to school has banned the sale of snakes.. so the only store that has mice frozen has them pretty dang expensive. Luckily I have been able to only buy mice in packages of like 20 online but yeah still the problem of under weight... I'm just trying to sadly work with what I have gotten into.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Twolunger
You have had good advice already regarding feeding your corn. I don't know of any city that has banned the sale of all snakes, except perhaps venomous, or naturally found within the state, but if that is true you have my sympathy. When I only had a couple snakes I found local snake owners by posting notices at pet shops and animal feed stores so that several of us could partner to buy a large order from the rodent companies. There are companies that list approximate weights of their frozen rodents. Do a Google search.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google