CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Corn laying eggs

Old 04-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
DiddyD
Corn laying eggs

Hi all,

So this morning when I woke I noticed a load of eggs in the my snake tank that definitely weren't there last night! I have two corns which I have had for around 2 years, since there were hatchlings. I was told by the breeder that they were sisters! I have. I idea if one is actually a male of if these eggs are just unfertilised eggs. Anyone able to tell me?!

Thanks

Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
so in other words you have 2 snakes that stay in the same cage all the time? You're lucky you have eggs. One day you'll have 1 extremely fat snake and you'll be wondering where the other one went.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
DiddyD
Yes I do. When. I went to a breeder to buy the hatchling she convinced me to take two. Telling me that males fight, and male and female will have babies but two females are fine together. As a breeder, I trusted what she said even though I only went for one. That was two years ago.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
good luck with that

Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyD View Post
Yes I do. When. I went to a breeder to buy the hatchling she convinced me to take two. Telling me that males fight, and male and female will have babies but two females are fine together. As a breeder, I trusted what she said even though I only went for one. That was two years ago.
This is a case that someone takes what applies to one or more species of reptiles and then incorrectly applies it to another. What she described is more common in lizards for instance.
I know that it is common in Europe to co-hab corn snakes. In the states we discourage it. Hatchling corn snakes are known to cannibalize even though it is rare. With adult corns it is unheard of. The stress that adult corn snakes put on each other that co-habitate can be harmful and even terminal. I would separate them.
The eggs look questionable. A female can lay infertile eggs without mating. They can still be two females. You should get them professionally sexed.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
FireTigeris
Separate the snakes from another and take the eggs, candle them in 3 days, look for veins.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Corns are generally not cannibalistic as adults, but there are other reasons not to house them together, regardless of their sexes.

It is recommended to keep them houses separately.

Can you take a better pic of the eggs? It doesn't have to be that close, but a clearer image in good light will help determine if the eggs look good or not.

Depending on the ambient temperature in your house, you may not need an incubator. If you have a room or closet, etc that consistently stays warm enough (like 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit). That is, if you want to try and hatch them.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
Nanci
I'm 95% certain those eggs are fertile. Head down to my personal forum for some ideas about how to get ready- you're having babies! Or, if you do not want to have babies, you can, at this point, freeze the eggs for 48 hours.

If you are keeping the eggs, you need to act immediately so they don't get any more dehydrated.

Right now, while you're getting organized, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot, buy a pack of orchid moss. Soak it with well water or spring water (not tap water with chlorine) wring it out AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and place a 1-2" layer in a plastic container. Place the egg pile on top of the moss, then cover them with another layer of moss. (If the eggs are clumped together, do not separate them.) Put the cover on, no holes for air exchange. Place the container somewhere warm and low-light or dark. About 80-82F is perfect. Open the lid once a week and fan the eggs. Expect hatchlings in roughly 60-70 days.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
DLena
Surprise and congratulations. Wow! Nothing like a little jolt to the system to rev up your morning.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google