CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hi from Texas!

Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Snitty
Hi from Texas!

Hello everyone!
I've always been interested in reptiles, but it wasn't until recently that I've really wanted a pet snake. The thing is though, all of my pets are adopted and I would really like to adopt of corn snake (or ball python, but corn preferably). I don't know if this is an unreasonable want, but I prefer to provide a loving home to animals who don't have one, then buy from someone who'll just breed more to replace the one I bought, if that makes sense.
So that all being said, I have to find a snake that needs to be adopted, but before that, I really want to have a set up ready. I've been reading a lot online about the needs of corn snakes, but a lot of sites contradict each other. So I'll be asking you guys a lot of stupid questions, but that's just because I want to provide the best life I can to my future snake.

Also, if you think adopting a snake is a stupid idea for a beginner, feel free to tell me that it is, but also let me know why.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
Twolunger
I think it's a great idea adopting a corn snake. Check your local Humane Society or rescue groups in your area. I often see snakes being offered in our local rescues or online on lists. If you want to read about proper corn snake care just scroll down to Nanci's blog on this forum and she has a post which will give you a lot of information.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Dragonling
I think adopting second hand is a great idea, and I'm sure there may be a rescue nearby with a corn or two. Starting with a well established subadult or adult eliminates the troubles that occasionally come with tiny babies.

Your wording makes me suspect you've been swayed by the adopt-don't-shop movement. I strongly encourage you to investigate the origins of that movement and its ultimate intent for pet ownership worldwide.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Snitty
Thank you for affirming that adoption isn't a bad choice. I'll

Dragonling, I understand your concern, but I just feel like it's the right thing to do, since I have the means to. That being said, to each their own, and I would never tell other people to adopt, since adopting pets of any species comes with risks of illnesses and behavioral issues due possible past mistreatment.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 AM   #5
MysticExotics
Welcome!
There aren't nearly the number of snakes in shelters/rescues as there are dogs and cats, but I understand your choice to go that route.

I support both responsible breeders as well as reputable rescues/shelters, regardless of species, and feel that as long as the buyer has educated themselves, it is their choice which route to go.

Be sure to post lots of pics when you do get your new addition!

Old 05-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Pumpkin D. Cat
Greetings! I'm from Texas as well! I'm new to snakes, and new to this forum, but I'm here to learn!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google