CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens A collective field guide to the cultivars and cultigens (morphs) of corn snakes.

Anerythristic Type "A"

Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Susan
Anerythristic Type "A"

GENETICS:
Homozygous Type "A" Anerythrism (bb) - Simple recessive

Trade Names:
Anery
Black Albino

Selectively Bred Variations
Pastel Anery
Anery Okeetee

Again, I can't find a better description and history than what Rich Zuchowski wrote for his SerpenCo site:

"The type 'A' Anerythristic corn is one of the few cultivars of the corn snake that has thriving populations existing in the wild. As a matter of fact, this particular homotype is apparently a positive survival trait for the corn snake and the percentage of Anerythristics to normal colored corns appears to be increasing. At least in the population found in southwest Florida. Possibly this is because most of the roads in this area are of a crushed shell and asphault mixture that a snake that is blotched in pattern of mostly grays, blacks, dark browns and whites would be nearly invisibile to predators as it crawled or laid on this type of surface. In a discussion with Dr. Bernard Bechtel years ago, he told me that many years ago he had heard rumors of a black corn in southwest Florida and tried in vain to obtain a sample. Finally able to do so only after several years of trying. So much have their numbers increased that today many collectors would consider it unusual to not find a good percentage of the Anerythristics during a typical night of 'collecting'.

As mentioned above, this cultvar of the corn snake is a study of shades of black, gray, and white, in varying degrees and intensities. It is also not at all unusual to have maturing specimens develop shades of brown in the blotches. In the greater majority of the examples of the 'A' Anerythristic corn snake, yellow will be strongly visible along the sides of the head and neck region when they reach about 20 inches in length. Some examples may have the yellow extending down the sides a good way towards the posterior of the animal as well. But there do exist 'A' Anerythristics that completely lack the yellow coloration. These are typically very starkly black and light gray colored, and are quite the eye catchers. Intensely contrasted in some individuals. Of the varieties of 'A' Anerythristic corns found, the ones completely lacking the yellow appear to be the most difficult to come across. To further complicate the locating the 'no yellow' form, the yellow is not apparent in the babies at all, so you have virtually no guidelines to help you select the very few that might turn out this way.

Recently I have been having second thoughts about the way we classify the gene we are calling 'A' Anerythrism. For years we were describing this animal is one in which the red and orange coloration had been removed from a typical normally colored corn snake. But is that really accurate? It seems unlikely to me that underneath those colors, BLACK would be lurking underneath the pigment so the removel of the reds and oranges would leave it exposed. Doesn't it seem more likely that the reds and oranges are REPLACED by melanistic pigment? I believe that a normal corn that had the reds and oranges removed, with all other pigments remaining the same would be a very pale looking animal instead of a darker one as we see in Anerythrism. I'm not by any means suggesting a new name for this particular cultivar, but I'm inclined to think of it more as Hypermelanistic rather than Anerythristic, simply because it seems to be more a case of much more melanism in the pigment rather than a lacking of erythrism. IMHO, of course."

Old 08-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Sindrik8x
3 Month Old Anery

3 Months Old

Old 08-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Chip

Anery "okeetee" project, snake is one year old in the photo.

A big adult (1998 vintage), with some "zig zag" in her pattern.

Both of these are devoid of yellow coloration often found around the neck.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
notserp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post

Anery "okeetee" project, snake is one year old in the photo.

A big adult (1998 vintage), with some "zig zag" in her pattern.

Both of these are devoid of yellow coloration often found around the neck.
That looks more like a ghost variation then type A anery.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by notserp View Post
That looks more like a ghost variation then type A anery.
That is one of the reasons I love this gene and it's many combinations so much! The variation that can be expressed is astounding! While I adore the light and colorful anerys that can be confused with ghosts, I don't care for the dark ghosts because I just don't see the reduction in melanin that one would expect with the hypo gene.

I know there are many dark hypos, but you can still see the bronzing of the belly checks. And yes, I know that even some normals don't have entirely black belly checks, but the look of a hypo belly check is just different enough that it can be recognized with some experience. However, I have more difficulty with the very dark ghosts. I will admit that I don't have much experience with the very dark ghosts (I've never had a dark ghost hatch out yet...knock wood) but the one I examined fairly closely, although briefly and in poorer light, did not show me the bronzed belly checks and I personally would have considered it a ghost at all unless I knew for a fact that it was produced by a pair of proven hypos. And even then, I would have my doubts!

To me, Chip's example is a good one of an anery that has lightened up with age that also shows the lack of yellow which, in the past, had been inaccurately used as a way to differentiate anerys and charcoals. Now I wonder if there is actually another gene involved that controlls the presence of the yellow neck or not. I purchased an amel from South Mountain last year strictly because it did not have any yellow, even on the neck, and I found that quite unusual in an amel and I had to have it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
CarlieLynn
Eye

Belly

With Flash

Without Flash

Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Rigby & Marcy
Hope it's okay to add one.
Young adult anery, face and eye

Same snake, body

Old 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
dave partington
Assorted anery corns

Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
dave partington
discovered the super macro setting.
is any snake which is homo anery allowed on this thread,
for instance, an anery hypo caramel bloodred amel motley?
Here's a couple of corns homozygous for Anery A

Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
chris68
Tequila Sunrise line anery A

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
anerythristic corn snake