• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My own little controversial topic... Just how "weird" are we?!

Thanks for the compliments (though now I feel a little self-conscious as if it seems that I was fishing for them, lol :sidestep:. My point was that even "girly" looking girls can surprise people and have a weird fascination with snakes.

I definitely want to take my snakes into public after reading through this thread (it's a long read but worth it). There seems to be a lot of good that can be done by just exposing the public to our trade, hobby, fetish, or whathaveyou. As long as you make yourself available and THEY come to YOU when in public then I believe a lot of minds can be changed ^_^.

Thanks for the compliments (though now I feel a little self-conscious as if it seems that I was fishing for them, lol :sidestep:. My point was that even "girly" looking girls can surprise people and have a weird fascination with snakes.

I definitely want to take my snakes into public after reading through this thread (it's a long read but worth it). There seems to be a lot of good that can be done by just exposing the public to our trade, hobby, fetish, or whathaveyou. As long as you make yourself available and THEY come to YOU when in public then I believe a lot of minds can be changed ^_^.

I can't speak for Rich, but I didn't even think that you were "fishing". LOL.

Absolutely!! I go to the schools when invited (even put one in my daughter's 2nd grade class "semi-permanently") and show them off. I show them to the kids where I work and have even helped a few of my house "daughters" get their own. I believe that it starts with the kids. Kids that have a good initial exposure to snakes grow to be adults that respect snakes.

I wouldn't be surprised if that guy who "admired" my VBB bought himself or his kids a corn snake in a couple of years. I know his son wants one!!! LOL.

Jadie, you are beautiful! Definately not the stereotypical idea of the heavily pierced, tattooed, overweight guy strutting down main st with his python on his shoulders, that's for sure!

I have been told that I don't look like a snake keeper either. I'm a dumpy middle aged woman with no tats, who owns a small business.

And I think you are right about women being more open minded than men about certain things. ALOT of men I know are terrified of snakes. Our sales rep from Raleigh can't even look at a picture of a snake!
I also keep rats as pets and belong to the biggest online community in the "rat world". Way over half the rat owners are women, if you scroll down the nics, men's names are few and far between! I think something like 75%-80% of rat owners are women.

I guess that makes me doubly wierd!

I don't know about weird, but I do get a lot of questions at school. I mention to people my fascination with reptiles, and that I currently run a reptile rescue & rehoming center (it's just getting started...). Most of the people down here usually have a story about "OH YEAH! My cousin had a snake. a HUGE yellow one! I swear, that thing was like 15 feet long! It was really kind of cool, but I'd never want one." And it's usually conversations that start like that that have me talking about all the different kinds of snakes, and how not all of them get that huge. At a pet store in Denver (i was in there to get feeders), there was a woman in there who wanted to get a baby burmese python for her 5 YEAR OLD nephew! She said she hates snakes, and she hates her sister, so it'd be payback by getting him the snake. I was thrilled when someone from the staff overheard and said "Sorry ma'am, but I'm not going to be able to sell anything to you. Our animals matter more than your payback." Then she asked why, and the clerk went on to explain how large the snake would get, and how reptiles are not disposable animals. I really did admire the guy for standing up to that woman and saying "NO." I know that's a little off topic, but that was just to mention that there is education out there for anyone willing to ask, so people shouldn't fear us. They should come with open minds.

This is such an interesting topic! Yes, Jadie, we all know "the look." I've had an assortment of critters of many types over the years, and had seen "the look" occasionally before. My first snake resulted in more looks. When I added more snakes, more looks - and more extreme looks. But that's okay. I don't fit the stereotype either.

I've never been involved in formal animal rescue efforts, but for as long as I can remember, I've gotten called when something flew/crawled/slunk somewhere it wasn't expected to be. If I could extract and help it, I did. If not, I called the real rescue folks.

I teach high school, and like other teachers on this forum, I've got corn snakes in my classroom. They're native to my area, and I love hearing a student say that they won't kill them on sight anymore. I love seeing the fear in students' eyes disappear with time and patience.

Creepy snake lady? Maybe. Do people think I'm weird? No doubt. But I'm not really sure that that's because I have snakes! :sidestep:

Haha, yeah once people get to know me they're like "whoa... you're a girl who plays video games (and can win!), watches anime, breeds and keeps snakes, is learning to play the guitar, and codes software for a living... you're weird :p".

After reading your posts I had an epiphany... schools... I should totally talk to my old teachers and principal and see if there is a day that I can come and show my snakes off and educate the students about them (and possibly get a couple of them interested in purchasing my new babies ^_^).

I'm totally going to look into that 0_0. I wish I had a couple more rare morphs to bring though... right now all I have (that I would be willing to bring) would be my normal, who was a rescue project, an Okeetee, and a ball python (as well as a few cornsnake babies, and Delilah my gopher snake but I wouldn't allow anyone to handle them).

Hmm, maybe that isn't enough to qualify as a "show"... but I COULD set up in my biology teachers room (she has a cornsnake in there already) and stay for the day accepting students visiting me during breaks and lunches...

Lol, just pondering out loud to myself *is rambling now*. :rolleyes: I got too excited ^_^.

Haha, yeah once people get to know me they're like "whoa... you're a girl who plays video games (and can win!), watches anime, breeds and keeps snakes, is learning to play the guitar, and codes software for a living... you're weird :p".

After reading your posts I had an epiphany... schools... I should totally talk to my old teachers and principal and see if there is a day that I can come and show my snakes off and educate the students about them (and possibly get a couple of them interested in purchasing my new babies ^_^).

I'm totally going to look into that 0_0. I wish I had a couple more rare morphs to bring though... right now all I have (that I would be willing to bring) would be my normal, who was a rescue project, an Okeetee, and a ball python (as well as a few cornsnake babies, and Delilah my gopher snake but I wouldn't allow anyone to handle them).

Hmm, maybe that isn't enough to qualify as a "show"... but I COULD set up in my biology teachers room (she has a cornsnake in there already) and stay for the day accepting students visiting me during breaks and lunches...

Lol, just pondering out loud to myself *is rambling now*. :rolleyes: I got too excited ^_^.

See, sometimes the normal stuff is the best stuff to bring. Like in my area, it would be best to bring in a normal corn snake because that's what people would be seeing in the wild. Granted, the morphs would be fun to bring in, and if I did talks, I'd probably bring in several cornsnakes, my asian rat snakes, my ball pythons, and a boa or two. Don't know if I would bring in the baby burmese yet.

Hooray for snakes at school! I had to lobby for permission to have them here, but I've never regretted it! And yes, I have them at home too. I'm trying to figure out how to smuggle one along when I travel! lol

I don't have a lot of snakes either... just the kings, the asian rat (VBB), the leucy, the longnose, and the corns... all colubrids. However, I find that no matter what I bring, the fascination is there and therefore the teaching opportunity. :santa:

Cool topic! I have always loved snakes, critters, video games, art, science, physical activity and the outdoors. All of those responses get the typical "YOU like those things Allison?!" haha, it seems to be a good conversation starter.
All of my coworkers think I am flat out crazy because I'm constantly changing the computer's desktop to my newest snake, spider, centipede, or wild found snakes. Most act repulsed, but many start actually asking questions and seem intrigued.
As for the family, none of them like snakes. My mom is alright with them, but she never liked it when I went around their house with them.
Another observation is that women are usually less afraid or disgusted than men, at least in most of my experience with friends, family, strangers, etc.

c070.gif
Just about as weird as It gets. Thank goodness for that too cause it's the normal people you got to watch out for. Their really dangerous.
a055.gif
a100.gif

People are always shocked when they find out I keep snakes. I usually leave an impression of seriousness about me....
boy imagine their surprise when they find out I keep&breed snakes, practice tarot reading(there's a snake in one of the sets I read with!) and whatnot...

The sheer shock of it allows me to get away with things I doubt others would manage... like... I convinced someone that my snakes live off of marshmallow only.

I wasn't sure what this thread would entail when I started reading, but I have to admit, I enjoyed every single word!
I wouldn't say that we are weird, perse, just out of what society has taught us is normal. We make our own normal, IMO.
My daughter was interested in lizards, so we bought her a beardie about 4 years ago. She eventually lost interest, so we rehomed him, but that developed my interest in snakes. I never used to like them really, but tolerated them as a necessity in the scheme of life. Then I started to watch more on TV and read more, started hanging out on this forum and learning all I could. I had decided that I wanted a snake, but my ex said over his dead body, not in his house...etc. Long story short, I left him a year and a half ago, and had a corn snake within 2 months! I don't regret it for a moment!
My co workers know I have a snake, many are grossed out, some show interest and I've spent several minutes of my day telling people what she eats, how often, etc. They do call me the snake lady, but I consider it a term of endearment rather than derogatory! One of my co workers asked me recently if my snake was the same to me as my cats or dogs. I said yes, without a doubt. If anything were to happen to her, I would be on the floor in complete and utter sorrow, bawling my eyes out. She was shocked by that...but I love Nekoda the same way I love my cat, and would be devastated if anything were to happen to either of them.
I have had the opportunity to educate as well...my daughter has taken Nekoda to school, and the kids were fortunate it was feeding day and Nekoda ate for them. She has a great strike response, so it was quite cool for the kids (teenagers actually, 15 & 16 yr olds). Anytime I can answer someone's questions I am happy to do so. I've even steered the local pet store employees straight a few times.
Nekoda will not be my only snake. I am just trying to decide what to buy next, and where from. I wish snakes were as inexpensive in Canada as they are for some of you in the states. But maybe its agood thing too, as I would probably have more than I really should. My landlord wouldn't be too pleased to know I keep a snake as it is, nevermind more than one!
Anyway, just wanted to share and say thanks for the giggles this morning...love this forum...
Sandra
Oh, PS...those of you that posted pics....all normal to me!

Another observation is that women are usually less afraid or disgusted than men, at least in most of my experience with friends, family, strangers, etc.

You are not alone in this observation! The boys are the biggest wimps when it comes to my snakes!

well, at my school most of the boy's think it is cool. but why do i have so many...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

the girls however think it is really weird and how can i like them, but most are totally freaked out, some would not even touch one but i reckon most would be willing to at least touch one with little encouragement and assurance that it is not going to eat them!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I bought a BP from a friend of mine and she brought him to me in class. As soon as she pulled him out of his bag to show me, some people freaked out and moved their desks as far from me as possible. Others, though came up and asked to touch him and hold him (and yes, the majority of these people were girls). On my way off campus, I was holding him talking to my friend and I was surprised by the amount of people who asked if I brought my snake to school every day!!

It seems like (as been said previously on this thread) a lot of people are scared of snakes because they simply don't know much about them. I've noticed that some of my friends that have told me about their fear of snakes, after watching me hold mine or other people petting and holding my snakes will come closer and closer until they finally put a finger on the snake and then loose all reserve and ask to hold him (if not to just be able to say that they've held a snake).

It also helps around people who are timid to hold the snake's head under my arm facing behind me and let them pet the middle of his body away from his head. I've calmed several friend's and two aunt's fears of touching them with this method.

back on topic... I've noticed that "snake people" or my friends that have snake and you fine folks here on cs.com are some of the nicest and most accepting people I've met!!

You are not alone in this observation! The boys are the biggest wimps when it comes to my snakes!

We had a party at my boyfriend's house recently and it was funny to watch all the guys be freaked out by the snakes while the girls remarked how pretty they were. The guys were especially freaked out by the corn snakes because they moved fast.

I'm lucky enough to be in grad school in a herp lab, so keeping snakes (and other herps) is seen as quite normal amongst my friends. Out of the 5 students working in the lab right now only 1 doesn't own a snake, lizard, or both.

The biology grad students freaked out everyone at a university-wide grad student social when we brought a baby ringneck snake my friend found around to show everyone before letting it go. We wanted to show them how cute and tiny and harmless it was....they were terrified. The snake was less than 7 inches long and probably weighed ~2g.

My mother thinks I'm crazy for having my spotted python. I haven't told her about the other snakes (7 currently).

As for spiders and insects? I kept a black widow as a pet for most of last year and have no real fear of spiders, but my boyfriend is terrified of them. I don't like mole crickets and grasshoppers make my skin crawl because of a bad experience I had as a kid (one bit me, I went to pull it off and the body came off but the head stayed on my hand biting me). I don't necessarily run around trying to find and play with other creepy crawlies, but I don't mind most of them.

Fire ants suck though.

Yesterday, I had pulled out my charcoal corn to clean his tank. While his bedding was in the microwave, I took him out onto my front porch/patio so he could enjoy some sunlight and warmth. Well, one of my neighbors saw. She called back into the house "HEY GIRLS! WANNA SEE A SNAKE?" Immediately, 4 girls ranging from age 4 to age 12 were standing at the screen listening to me talk about my cornsnakes. One of them asked "Can they bite?" to which my response was "All animals can, and will, bite. It's just a matter of being careful so they don't have a reason to bite you." Since my charcoal wasn't exactly one that I would trust little kids petting, I ran inside to get my male BP. He's never struck out at me or anything. I come out with him, and he's all balled up in my hand, in the typical BP defensive pose. So we set him on the ground, and everyone crowded in to look at him. When he finally started to unravel, I picked him up again and held him so they all could pet him. They all said it was "SO COOL!" But the youngest girl, as she was petting him, said "Just don't let him go! Don't let his head go!" I thought it was so cute that she knew he could bite, and if he did, it would hurt, so she respected him. I've decided that very soon, I'm going to try and do a reptile talk at some of the schools around here.

I go through phases of finding the 'ewwwwwww!' reaction from work colleagues irritating. Right now I've got a couple of regular patients and a couple of the nurses asking for hatchling updates every shift. In particular 2 regular patients who were just admitted couldn't wait to ask me about them. The colleagues who think I'm odd, with whom I don't bother to discuss my pets, keep butting in with their comments. To add to my 'strange' status now I'm getting a little grief about my horse-riding and planned riding holiday, which is being regarded as an odd way for a grown woman to spend free time (also being asked for updates on my progress and the foals by the same patients).
Ok, big rant time! I do not put anyone down for their hobbies or lifestyle, I listen politely and express interest in their interests in DIY projects etc.
I'm wondering why I'm not paid the same courtesy.
I don't volunteer info about my spare time to random patients, the ones who I know well because of frequent admissions have gradually found out because they are bored stupid and want to know what I do when I'm not at work, then other patients overhear the conversations and the snakes' fanclub grows! These 2 patients in particular have followed Lil's progress from her early troubles and still ask about her, one of them used to ride and would love to be well enough to do so again.
Why does sharing my hobbies with people who are asking about them give some colleagues the green light to judge me?
I don't think of myself as weird, and I get a little jaded at times with being told I am.

Back