• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

$25 more for a feeder?

HeavenHell

Okeetee Freak
I've been seeing ads on kingsnake lately where folks are selling animals that are not eating F/T mice. The ads says they'll get them started for another $25/ per animal. Something about that doesn't sit right with me. Any thoughts? :confused:

I suppose as an unscrupulous seller it's worth a try. Maybe they'll sucker in someone inexperienced, who doesn't realise that a reputable seller would never sell a Corn that ate anything other than f/t.

Some reptiles do insist on live only, but I imagine either:
a) this would be a species-specific thing and nothing out-of-the-ordinary for some sorts of reptile, so the buyer will already be expecting it and it wouldnt affect the price.
or
b) the live preference is not normal and would usually result in the animal selling for less. In this case, I'd expect the seller to view it as a "problem animal" and bear the cost of conversion to f/t themselves.

IMHO the ad is an attempt to drill money out of people who don't know better. Shame on them.

I agree with Bitsy. I have seen animals advertised for sale with the "live only feeder" description, but at that point the buyer knows what he is getting and can make the choice whether or not to buy the animal.

Usually you see them advertised the other way around- less for a snake that demands live, or that requires lizard-scenting, or out-of-egg. No one thinks any less of a breeder for offering a price reduction for a live-feeder, especially an adult.

Usually you see them advertised the other way around- less for a snake that demands live, or that requires lizard-scenting, or out-of-egg. No one thinks any less of a breeder for offering a price reduction for a live-feeder, especially an adult.
Interesting the power of advertisement isn't it?!

I suppose as an unscrupulous seller it's worth a try.

IMHO the ad is an attempt to drill money out of people who don't know better. Shame on them.
What is unscrupulous about selling nonfeeders cheaper than feeders? You better check the for sale ads here because by your logic, Carol, Jeff Mohr, Susan and a bunch of others are unscrupulous . . . 50% out of egg specials, not guaranteed feeders? :shrugs: Same thing. Shoot, on a $100 snake you're paying $50 more for a feeder! :eek:

D80

I don't see anything unscrupulous about it! If you want them to put in extra time and work with a particular animal, they're offering to do it for a fee. Sounds 100% reasonable to me. LOTS of people sell non-feeders cheaper, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Well, if the ad has them priced $25 less to get you in the door, then you realize the actual price is higher, that's kinda a cheap gimmick in my mind. If they're more up front about it, it's odd but not that bad. It's when you get into false advertising that it's a problem.

So what kind of snakes were the snakes for sale on Kingsnake, anyway?? Something that is notoriously hard to start on FT mice, or something that you would expect to feed on FT with no problems, but the person just wants them out the door??

So what kind of snakes were the snakes for sale on Kingsnake, anyway?? Something that is notoriously hard to start on FT mice, or something that you would expect to feed on FT with no problems, but the person just wants them out the door??

Just what I was thinking...grayband hatchlings immediately comes to mind as one I would expect to see such an ad for.

seems fine with me. read the add... buy what the add says... or don't!

I sell nonfeeders from time to time... they are greatly discounted and PLAINLY labeled as nonfeeders.

No harm no foul!

Yes it was a grayband ad. I see your point for discounting OOE snakes. Reading the ad, it just seemed they were selling "eating" as an accessory.

I can see where the labeling of the ad caused a little confusion. It does make it sound more shady when stated as though a good feeding snake is an extra charge, as opposed to a non-feeding snake being at a discounted price, even if it's basically the same thing. It just makes it sound as though their good feeding snakes are the exception, rather than the non-feeding, so it does make you think that it's a bit suspect.

It's all in the advertising, I suppose. I can definitely see where there would be an extra charge on starting gray-bands, though, as it's a lot more work to get the non-feeders to eat than most species. Mostly because of the scenting. More work, the higher the price. But on the flip-side, you might expect that effort to be done free of charge (or at least hidden in the full price), as these are supposed to be the experts that should have the most success getting the species that they've chosen to breed to eat.

All in all... not too strange, but wording is everything, and you're right, the wording could have been a little more appealing.

I suppose as an unscrupulous seller it's worth a try. Maybe they'll sucker in someone inexperienced, who doesn't realise that a reputable seller would never sell a Corn that ate anything other than f/t.

What is unscrupulous about selling nonfeeders cheaper than feeders? You better check the for sale ads here because by your logic, Carol, Jeff Mohr, Susan and a bunch of others are unscrupulous . . . 50% out of egg specials, not guaranteed feeders? :shrugs: Same thing. Shoot, on a $100 snake you're paying $50 more for a feeder! :eek:
D80

You may want to ad Rich Z to the list as well....he was selling out of the egg animals way back in the day. :sidestep:

Back