• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long can baby snakes stay in the incubator...

bonzor

After they hatch??
I´m going on holiday and my corns are do to hatch when i´m gone.
Can they stay in the incubator for a few days??
And the first cluch hatched after 60 days is this one to going to hatch after 60 days (same parents). I`m hopeing that they will take more time to get out this time. :shrugs:

Good question. I have some in the incubator also that will probably hatch within the next week or so and I hate to keep checking every day because I have another box in the incubator and I don't want the temps to keep jumping around.

They would be ok for a while. Some people keep them together in the egg box until after their first sheds. As for living in the incubator, I house my hatchlings in individual containers in the incubator until they have begun feeding. So they are fine at "incubator conditions" for a while.

How long will you be gone though? I would say anything under a week would be ok… but the shorter the better.

Incubation time isn't really determined by the parents. It's the result of temperature. If you've incubated at a higher temp, they will hatch sooner. If you've incubated at a lower temp, it will take longer. :)

listening to the advice of people more expierienced then myself, I left my hatchlings in the incubation boxes about a week till they shed. I had no problems with it at all. The only question I have is should I give them a water bowl? I'm worried they will get vermiculite in the water and ingest it.

after they are expected to hatch i´m coming home after a week. I do have someone to lock after my animals so if it is nessesey she can move them to other boxes.

oh man, this is an old thread, but it's the first that came up in a gogle search, so i'll comment and hope the bump attracts some new attention.

i have the opposite question: when is the earliest that hatchlings can be taken out of incubator conditions? i ask because i used spagnum moss rather than vermiculite, and although my eggs and the area around them are free of mold, there is some mold at the other side of the incubator that i would like to keep the babies away from. when they came out of their eggs i put them each in their own 3x8" ventilated containers, but i'm a little concerned if the humidity change is too extreme or too early? my room has a large fish tank so the humidity is 55%. is that ok for the delicate hatchlings, or do i need to augment their humidity by putting something moist in with them?

I take them out and put them into individual tubs as soon as each is completely out of the egg and moving around. I don't wait for them all to hatch. I find them difficult to handle if I leave them together - I open the egg tub lid and 15 little beasties all make a run for it in different directions!

I've rarely had a problem first shed in their separate living quarters. You could provide each of them with a tiny container of damp kitchen paper if you're worried.

Back