CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Video of C5Z using Xiaomi Mi 4K drone

Old 09-04-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
Rich Z
Video of C5Z using Xiaomi Mi 4K drone

I took the C5Z out the other day to fill up the gas tank, and after I returned, I thought maybe I would try to take some photos of the car before putting it back in the garage. But wait a minute, what about using the drone to take video? Haven't really tried that yet.

So I launched the drone and tried the "orbit mode" function, which allows you to set a center point, then set the radius, height, speed, and angel of the camera. I think some of the more expensive drones will do this better by allowing you to basically designate a point of interest, that the drone's camera will always point to. But this more manual process seems to work fairly well, all things considered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZuedYounY

Probably would be more interesting to get the drone down lower and circle the car closer to the ground, but just couldn't do that near my garage and with trees all around on the other side of where the car was sitting. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out a good spot where I can do something like that to see how it turns out.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Twolunger
I thought you might try something daring like landing on the C5Z roof. I love the blue color. That's my favorite. I always end up with white or light silver down here due to the heat.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I thought you might try something daring like landing on the C5Z roof. I love the blue color. That's my favorite. I always end up with white or light silver down here due to the heat.
Hmm, I guess I could launch from the roof, but I'm not sure about trying a landing on it. The surface is quite slick, so there would be a good chance the drone would slide off if the backwash from the props pushed the drone one way or another. But might be an interesting effect with the camera pointing straight down........

Old 09-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Twolunger
I was just kidding. There's no way I'd take a chance on damaging the roof of my car by trying a stunt. I would try it with a hoopty, but not a Vette. LOL. I was chatting with a neighbor, who was sitting in a nice Mercedes sports car, and noticed a perfect circle indented on the roof of the car. I asked her about it, and she said her daughter put a beer can on the roof just before the neighbor decided to put the retractable hardtop down. GRRR!

Old 09-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Rich Z
Well, as soon as I can get the mechanical issue straightened out, I am planning on getting the car repainted anyway.

Matter of fact a while back I tried my hand at doing wet sanding on the car figuring that if I screwed it up, no real big deal since I would just have to accelerate my schedule for getting the car painted. Didn't turn out too bad. Got rid of a lot of the orange peel that Corvettes tend to have. I only worked on the horizontal surfaces and that worked out well for what I did. Except when I got to the deck lid area and saw all the zillions of tiny scratches there, and basically quit in aggravation. Which were likely caused by one of the shops I had the car at gave cats free reign of the joint and they likely caused the scratches when climbing on the car. Since I saw cat paw prints on several other cars he had parked there, I'm pretty confident that was the cause. Of course, I had brought a car cover out with the car when I had it there, but the guy never bothered to put it on the car when it was sitting outside. Well, that and I learned why they recommend that you tape up the edges of body panels when doing wet sanding....

Old 09-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Twolunger
Hold on to your wallet when you want the car repainted. The shops act like they are spraying liquid gold on the car.