CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

What is the difference?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Crazy Colubrids
What is the difference?

What is the difference between an Ultra Anery and an Ultramel Anery?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Nanci
Ultramel is ultra + amel.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Crazy Colubrids
I mean visually

Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Arpolis
I am no expert but since there have been no other responses all day I will throw my two cents in. As far as I know Ultra is a type of Hypomelanism where an Ultra is close to a hypo in appearance and ultramel is a cross between the Ultra and Amel since Ultra is allelic to Amel. When combined with Anery that is where it seems things get hard to tell. A "very" loos rule of thumb is that an Ultra Anery is darker in appearance compared to an Ultramel Anery. In both instances they look similar to ghosts. But looking at examples from several breeders, that does not always seem to fit the bill. VMSHerp is doing some great work with the Ultra gene and has many examples on www.VMSHerp.com and Done Sodersberg has some great examples too at www.cornsnakes.net. Several great looking Ultramel Anerys may also be seen at http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/ultramelanery/. Most breeders will end up telling you though that half the time unless breeding trials have proven both parents are true Ultra Anerys then the offspring are usually labeled as Ultra/Ultramel Anerys because it is too hard to identify some times. So my question to you, was this a curious question or have you seen some snakes you want and are looking for identifying advise? Usually the more back story you can give to catch peoples attention will drive more answers.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
Arpolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Ultramel is ultra + amel.
In retro spect I ment no offence to you by my "no other responses all day" comment Nanci. Just no other responses that met the OP's actual question which was clarified after your comment.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Crazy Colubrids
Ok so Ultras are darker than Ultramels. I was just curious because I plan to breed my Ultramel het Charcoal to my Pewter and then keep back two of the babies to breed together. I might get two that are het Ultra and I was just wondering whether Ultra combos are darker of lighter than Ultramel combos.

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Susan
Homozygous ultras as a general rule will probably be a bit darker than an ultramel, but there will always be exceptions so until it is proven via breeding results, if there is a chance it is an ultramel and not an ultra, it should be labeled as having that possibility.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google