CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Plans subject to change without notice

Old 06-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Rich Z
Maybe I am just overly cautious, but driving through South America, Central America, and Mexico just seems really dangerous these days. Heck it was a long while back where I read an account of someone who went off on a trip to Mexico and just vanished. People went down there to look for him and discovered the chief of police of some town driving the missing guy's vehicle.

Yeah, you are pretty much on your own and at the mercy of everyone around you in some places. And quite honestly, I am very reluctant to go anywhere that I could not take a gun with me. I really don't like feeling defenseless and completely subject to the good will of everyone around me and Connie. Sometimes you just need the ability to force goodwill on strangers.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
Twolunger
I'm old enough to remember when we could hitchhike all over the U.S. and stay at youth hostels. I can also remember when you could pick up a hitchhiker without fearing for your life. The times sure did change.

I was talking to a friend who told me his mother became a citizen of Mexico. Apparently she is part of an artists colony somewhere down there. He said it was not easy becoming a citizen of Mexico. I guess it's easy to travel though but another story if you want to be a citizen there.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I guess it's easy to travel though but another story if you want to be a citizen there.
Well, I guess it depends. If you are traveling from south to north, apparently the good folks in Mexico will even arrange a caravan for you to help you along on your trip.

So I guess your friends planning that trip from South America to Canada can plan on free transportation through Mexico if they play their cards right.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Twolunger
I think a police chief is going to have another car to drive. Fools like the two German boys are ripe for the picking in Central America, and they will be lucky if they make it to Mexico.
Even if they do there will probably be 17 illegals hanging out of the car.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #15
Rich Z
Well, this certainly helps to highten the concerns I expressed earlier....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-dep...ered-rv-stolen

Interestingly enough, I traded in one of the cars and purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee specifically with travel in mind. This Jeep has a 7200 lb towing capacity and would be perfect for pulling a smallish travel trailer.

But really not sure how good of an idea that is with obviously predatory illegal aliens pouring through our porous southern border into our southwestern most states.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
jujubeereimers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
But the entire reason I would want to take the Jeep out west is exactly because I WANT to get off of the beaten path and away from the public. Which is exactly the point I tried to make. That appears to no longer be an option without incurring some risk. So why bother going out there if I would have to worry about such things? Yeah, I know there is always, and always has been, risk in such things, but it just seems that things have recently gotten substantially worse.

Yeah, maybe I am being overly cautious about this, but personally, I think it would be stupid of me to be oblivious of, or just ignore the heightened potential of, the risk of conflict that seems to exist today in that area near our southern border. Desperate people do desperate things. Seems to me that there are very few people more desperate than those willing to violate another country's law in order to get into this country illegally. They literally have nothing to lose and everything to gain, apparently, by doing whatever it takes to succeed in their efforts. Just not the kind of perilous environment I want to subject Connie nor myself to.

IMHO.
Arizona is nice and has off roading

Sent from my LM-X220PM using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
Rich Z
Yeah, I would like to visit Arizona. Recently traded in one of the vettes and got a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk which would be perfect for a trip like that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google