CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Okeetee

Old 02-28-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
tlhsherry
Okeetee

Rich,

Hi, I bought a male Okeetee from you a few weeks ago. I offered him a meal a couple of days after I got him, and he ate fine. I fed him 5 days later, and he ate it, but regurgitated it the next day.

I waited 8 days before offering him another meal, and he ate it and kept it down fine. So 5 days later, last night, I fed him again, and he ate it, but regurgitated it this morning.

I know I need to wait another 7-10 days, but was wondering what his diet was like before I got him.

Thanks!
Tiffany

Old 02-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
Rich Z
I was feeding him every 6 to 7 days, both frozen/thawed and live pinky mice. I have seen that sometimes the change in water at the destination apparently can cause regurgitation. Often, just feeding VERY small meals every 4 to 5 days for a month until they fully acclimated will take care of the problem.

If it continues, you may have to consider bottled water and/or a dose of Flagyl to try to combat any protozoans that may be causing havoc in it's gut.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
Marcel Poots
Tiffany,

What are the nighttemps you keep him at? Too cold can and will cause regurge on small corns. Too few airholes in a plastic sweaterbox can cause regurge. Regurge is a cause to regurge.....meaning when a snake has regurged it has lost more than half it's stomac fluids. Feeding too soon a normal size prey will cause another regurge. I have had quite a few regurges with small corns all for the reasons I mentioned. All cleared up after waiting 10 days and starting to feed mouse heads instead of whole pinkies..

Marcel

Old 03-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
tlhsherry
It's been 8 days and I am going to offer him a meal tonight. He is active at night like he is looking for food.

I am going to feed him the smallest pinky I have and HOPE he keeps it down. If he does not, I will be taking him to the vet.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
Rich Z
If the pinky you have still is not small enough, decapitate a pinky head and feed him that. If he holds it down, feed him a head every three or four days for about a month.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
tlhsherry
Just wanted to let you know

I was able to get 1 day old pinkies and fed Silk one last night. So far so good in that he has not regurged.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-07-2003, 01:30 PM   #7
CowBoyWay
Hope your snake feels better

Did you switch water source?
I see your feeding a smaller prey item and thats apparently working, I'm glad for you and your Corn

I anonymously bought a pair of Okeetees from Rich/Serpenco in late December, early January as part of 6 pack of Corn Snakes for Christmas presents for the family...just another random order...
I must say, all the Corns are absolutely gorgeous and are robustly healthy.

Superior, obvious quality specimens were shipped, my expectations were certainly exceeded and would not hesitate to order again. imho

~CowBoyWay~

Old 03-07-2003, 02:13 PM   #8
tlhsherry
I don't disagree

I love my critters, all of them.

I plan to order more from Rich, I just need to determine what I want next. Such a delima!

Yes, I am using bottled water. I drink it myself, although the water here in Eureka Springs tastes a lot better than some of the places I have lived. My cats and dogs don't seem to have any issues with it, but if Silk wants bottled water, then he will get it.

I am glad he seems to be keeping this meal down so far. I have been running upstairs to check about every hour or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google