CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

'Final' tally on egg laying for 2003

Old 06-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #1
Rich Z
'Final' tally on egg laying for 2003

TOTALS = 5410 fertile eggs laid, 879 infertiles
COUNT = 388 clutches
AVERAGE = 13.94 fertile eggs per clutch
% fertile laid = 86.02

Of course, this is not 100 percent accurate. There were some 100 percent infertile clutches that I didn't bother writing a card on, and some with only a few fertile eggs that I just marked the container and also didn't write up a card on them.

I had projected 445 eligible females to breed this season, so I don't know about the missing females. I know there were some that I decided to not breed and others that wanted nothing at all to do with the males this year.

Not all of the 'good' eggs will hatch, either. Probably something on the order of 85 to 90 percent will make it. Some will be kinked, and some will refuse to feed. But all in all, it should be a good crop of babies this year.

Oh yeah, ALL are scheduled to hatch by September 2nd. So I will likely be pretty much incommunicado most of August.

Old 06-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Marcel Poots
Holy mother... I just can't get with head with those numbers.. I bet you be running around like a mad man when all have hatched and start to eat and stink up the place.. Wow, feeding and cleaning all those hatchlings is a fulltime job for several persons. Then you still have adult to think about too..

Respect...

Old 06-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
Rich Z
You will never hear me make a strenuous claim to sanity.

Matter of fact, I would probably argue that anyone doing this sort of thing probably is not sane.

Old 06-29-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
Susan
Just a reminder...

Last year I had mentioned to you that I would gladly help out with the problem feeders that overwhelmed your wife. You asked for me to remind you of this when hatching time came around again. The offer still holds. I remember that you had some unusually colored problem feeders that you really hated to lose. The number of hatchlings I'll be getting this year is much lower than I had expected, and most should be sold and out of my hair around mid-August. That will leave me with plenty of time to devote to "problem children".

By the way, what is your standard policy concerning the kinked hatchlings? I've kept all of mine or given them to friends, and for most of these, the kinks are barely noticable anymore, even on the 2002's. None have been bred yet, but I'm assuming that the kinks are more an incubation problem and not a genetic problem.
Since I'll only be keeping about 5 of my 2003 hatchlings (due to my bad luck with Murphy's Law this year) instead of the expected 15-20 hatchlings, I have room for more. I've already taken advantage of your 50% discount on 2003's and ordered what I could afford, but if you normally don't let kinked hatchlings survive, or sell them at a great discount, I would like to take some of those off your hands as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google