CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

OK everyone . . .

Old 11-12-2002, 02:03 AM   #11
Darin Chappell
Cas,

Snow has to be for January, and Blizzard for February!

I think that might actually be "do-able!"

Old 11-12-2002, 03:10 AM   #12
Cas
He he... I was just going by 1st letters... <b>S</b>eptember, <b>S</b>now... (besides, up here we do get some snow in sept. sometimes )

Too bad there aren't any green corns yet... would be great for the 1st month of spring!

Dawn

Old 11-12-2002, 03:37 AM   #13
Rich Z
This thread had me thinking back, wondering just how long ago it was when I started my first message board.

My first website was actually set up and hosted by Bryan Mohr of herp.com. I believe that may have been back in 1995 or 1996, but I can't find anything to reference back that far. That was several computers ago, so I can't even check dates on files. I didn't have a message board there anyway, but I'm just trying to establish some references as to when I actually got into this web based stuff.

I registered the domain name 'serpenco.com' back in 1997, I think, but I don't remember how long it took me to set up the first generation message board system on there. Couldn't have been very long after I had set up my own domain, and it was of course, the SerpenCo Forum. But in most cases, many people treated it like a cornsnake forum, since that was my primary focus and mostly all I was interested in talking about anyway.

I registered the domain name 'cornsnakes.com' in 1998, but I'm pretty sure it was much later when I set up the message board there. Matter of fact, I believe it was right when Jeff Barringer closed down all of the message boards on his site because of that threatened lawsuit by Joe Polanco. That's when I felt a cornsnake forum was needed, because there was no clue as to whether Jeff was going to reopen the forums again.

The original BOI on FaunaClassifieds.com (which was HerpWantAds.com back then) was 2 years old this past October 1. I still have all the original messages from that first BOI, but I just haven't gotten around to putting them up on the server and setting up links to it. There is also the issue of indexing all of those files for the search function that I need to address before I can do that anyway.

You all wouldn't believe what I had to go through in order to edit or delete offensive messages back then. What a nightmare! Good old days, my foot!

Darn, is it 3:40am already? No wonder I can't keep my eyes open...... I'm out of here.........

Old 11-12-2002, 10:58 AM   #14
carol
Thanks Darin, I was hoping you would take that the right way. I know you have been around forever, I was just trying to see if I was missing something (because that is the case very often). I think a calendar would be great. I have often though of creating one myself but I never got around to it. But who better than Rich to put one out, since he gets all the amazing shots!

Old 11-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #15
Rich Z
Exclamation OK, here's the scoop... (IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!)

The donations I have gotten from people for this site may be too little too late. My server has been running VERY slowly all day long, so I contacted the tech support people about it to see if they could figure out the problem. Well, it looks like maybe they have:

Quote:
The main reason you server is running soo slow is because you are running out of Memory. You currently have only 25Mb of free memory left and are using 366MB of swap space. I would highly recommend upgrading your server's memory to at least 512MB.
So it looks like I am going to have to see how much more memory is going to cost me. If it is more than I am willing to spend, I will likely have to choose between shutting down this forum (cornsnakes.com) or my faunaclassifieds site. Since FaunaClassifieds is bringing in advertisers and this one is not, this will be a no-brainer decision.

I do hate to do this, but I see no other rational choice available to me.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #16
whiffin
Is it not possible to purge any old files and forums?

Old pictures, for example, would really reduce the size!

If a loss of info was a problem, perhaps a FAQ - I'm sure someone would make one ...

Just a thought

Old 11-12-2002, 06:57 PM   #17
drizzt_19
yeah

i agree with wiffin. dont you thik you could delete some of the older threads that have been on here since the beginning. i wouldntmind answering the question that new users usally ask. i mean yeah we would be answering repetitive questions but dont we already do that when we get a new user. very rarely do new users know about the search option. most of them just wanna get an answer as quick as they can. with out doing any research(no offence intended just my opinion) i know i did when i first found this site. then i found the search option and started to utilize it.just adding my 0.02

gregg

Old 11-12-2002, 07:52 PM   #18
Rich Z
Actually, none of those suggestions would help. You have to know what the swap file space is used for. In a nutshell, this space contains actively running programs. When there are more programs running then will fit into RAM, segments are copied out to the hard drive and called back into RAM as needed. This swapping of memory segments back and forth to disk is what slows down the system. The larger the memory space, the less chance you will run out of memory and have to access the hard drive. The more users active on the server at any one time, the more RAM that is used, as each user will get their own chunk of RAM for the program they are running while viewing a web page from the server.

I checked into prices on more RAM and it looks like it will cost me an additional $30 or $79 more per month on top of my server lease costs. I'm not sure how they are pricing it, so I have to wait to hear back from them. This isn't TOO bad as long as I have some income coming in from advertisers on my FaunaClassifieds site. It would certainly help to have some on thsi site, but no one is exactly beating down the doors to help out that way.

Anyway, perhaps things will be OK if I add the additional RAM. I should know more tomorrow.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:08 PM   #19
drizzt_19
hey rich

how many members are on this forum and the fauna classifieds forum. maybe you could charge a fee. like 10-15 dollars a year or something like that. i would gladly pay up to 25-30 dollars a year to have access to these sites. they have been a big help to me.

gregg

Old 11-12-2002, 08:11 PM   #20
Cas
Rich, I'm just curious how many unique hits these message boards get per day or week... I would imagine you get some pretty heavy traffic on the site, and I'm kind of surprised that no advertisers would want to take advantage of that (even non-reptile related companies could be interested, assuming you don't have restrictions on the type of advertising). I'm wondering if you have (or have thought about) avertising your advertising space? I mean, there are a lot of users on this forum, but how many of them actually have a business, much less one that is big enough to advertise here? It may just be the kind of thing where you have to put more money in (yeah, oh joy, right? ) by buying some ads on some other sites, to get people aware of the traffic and opportunity availble to put ads up here... in theory, the ads, and then the board, should then pay for themselves.

There are also some companies (or at least, there used to be) who will give you a code for a rotating banner ad, and then pay based on the # of click throughs... no idea how well those things work, but it may be an idea.

(Of course, you've probably thought of all this, in which case you can just ignore me completely )

Just some thoughts,
Dawn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google