CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Tips on handling a baby snake?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
grandlinegirl
Tips on handling a baby snake?

This is my first snake and I'm still trying to get used to her. Reaching my hand into her little enclosure still freaks me out, though she's never struck at me. I guess I just expect her to. I've had to pick her up twice, just to fix something in her tank and once to move her, and when I do, she just tries to run! As soon as I take the lid off, she starts trying to get out...

I've read that it's very common in baby corns and I get that she sees me as a predator, but I'm afraid she's going to fly out of my hands and get away or launch out before I can even get her... And if either of those things happened, my cats would get her.

So! Does anyone have any tips for when I have to get her out or change her water or something?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
murder4me
Shelby be nervous for a while. Regular handling 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes at a time should get her use to the handling. My guy still tries to avoid being picked up, once he's out he's good. I've had him since September. He just hit 16 grams so he still sees everything as a threat. Don't worry your girl will calm with regular play sessions. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
murder4me
Just another suggestion, put your cats away when your snake is out. If it does happen to jump out of your hands It's safe from being a cat toy or even food!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
SnakesMcGee
Here's what I've learned from handling my baby snake:

- She probably doesn't want to be picked up. Too bad; pick her up anyway. She needs to learn that it's ok to be handled!
- On that note, if she bites, let her bite. It won't hurt you and she'll almost certainly grow out of the behavior very quickly. Mine only did it the first time I handled her.
- Once you pick her up she will probably calm down. It may take a minute though, especially the first couple times. Be patient.
- Even a calm corn is almost constantly in motion. Squirming through your hands and over your arms is normal for her. Follow her movement, keep her supported, and gently encourage her from going the wrong direction (i.e. out of your grasp) by guiding her with your hands.
- She will try to escape you at some point! It's just gonna happen. If you are paying close attention, she will almost certainly not succeed, although you may have to grip her firmly for a second until you get her under control (which will only make her struggle more). It's ok to handle her above a bed or similar surface until you're comfortable that you can avoid losing her.
- Cats are a personal preference. If it makes you nervous, handle her in a room with a closed door. I've heard tales of cats that get along with snakes; I've also seen my cat look at Princess like he's ready to pounce, so I mostly keep them apart. This is absolutely a case of better safe than sorry!
- The golden rule: DO NOT HANDLE WITHIN 48 HOURS AFTER FEEDING. Some snakes take more time, some take less... but for now that's a safe time frame to use. Trust me on this; I've experienced snake barf due to handling and I still feel terrible guilty just thinking about it.
- Avoid the head! It's ok to support her head from underneath, but do not approach it from the side, above, or in front. That is how a predator would approach the snake; they don't like it!
- All of the above probably applies to your snake... but it might not! The best advice I can give is to learn how she communicates and listen to her moods. Princess will tell me when she wants to explore and when she'd rather just be held. She'll tell me when she's afraid of the cat or when she doesn't mind him being around. She is a smart little girl - and yours is too.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Amanda47
A trick I've learned when trying to catch my squirmy one is have damp hands before trying to pick them up. I'll just dip a finger in the water bowl and rub the water on my fingers and hands.

When your hands are damp, they kind of tacky and it takes a little longer for the snake to wriggle away from you.

Also, once it's calmed down, just hold your arms against your chest and let the snake roam around the bridge that your hands/arms make. You don't have to move too much then, when helps the snake calm down even more. Just don't let it fall.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
grandlinegirl
Thanks for all the tips!

I'm still not very good at picking her up lol. She tries to bolt every time I do. But we'll get there.

But! I fed her for the first time last night. She gobbled up a pinky with no problem so that's a relief since I think he was feeding her live feeders, which I couldn't do.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Candy001
I have one cat who I can trust with our snake and the other not at all- he is an unpredictable cat in general. He is funny because he sits next to the cage looking in certain something must be in there but cant figure it out yet (we've only had our snake for a month).

We had our first blue period/shed recently and I realized it because our snake got an attitude about being handled- like she all of a sudden went hormonal. She didnt bite but was agitated. We know to avoid handling her during shedding time now.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
grandlinegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy001 View Post
I have one cat who I can trust with our snake and the other not at all- he is an unpredictable cat in general. He is funny because he sits next to the cage looking in certain something must be in there but cant figure it out yet (we've only had our snake for a month).

We had our first blue period/shed recently and I realized it because our snake got an attitude about being handled- like she all of a sudden went hormonal. She didnt bite but was agitated. We know to avoid handling her during shedding time now.
I have yet to experience a shed. I don't know when/if she ever has. I keep meaning to research a little more here about it so I know what to look for/expect but as of yet haven't had time haha.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Rigby & Marcy
Your snake is dark coloured and you will see her eyes and the checkers on her belly turn blue about a week before she sheds. Then it will clear up and she will look normal, and after that she will shed. I'm glad she took a thawed pinky.

I prefer to handle my baby corns regularly for a short period, just long enough for them to calm down and then a few minutes of exploring, and then they get to go back in their viv.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Rigby & Marcy
Oh yeah, and most corns won't bite you. My babies never have, even though Timmy is a scaredy little thing. My adults each have once because I wasn't thinking and reached back into their feeding tub after dropping a mouse in. Totally my fault.

Most corns will at least rattle their tail or draw back into a strike position (head facing you, neck zig-zagged back and forth) if they were going to bite you. Just assume if the corn is relaxed that it won't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google