• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how and when to clean?

hediki

i luv them all.
how often do you clean the viv and change substate and how do you clean it and with wat? thanx

I have a proper clean-out every two weeks but I just own the one snake, so I have the time to. I've never read a guideline as such that advises you as to how often you should, other than 'regularly'. Will be interested to see others' input on this one :)

you only need to do spot checks whenever needed, just scooping out poop or picking out skin
a proper clean out, i normally do this once every 3 - 6 months, it just isnt needed anymore, unless you have had a case of mites, ticks, RI's or anything like that, then yes by all means fully and properly clean it out.
anything more than that can really stress them out, they love their surroundings once they get settled in, they know it, and if you clean them out way to often than needed its gonna be new surroundings to your little one all the time and that would continuously freak him/her out. snakes are very clean animals, it just isnt neccessary personally.
just my opinions.
:D

I clean Hades' tank every 2 weeks with a bleach and water solution. Sometimes I just use regular Dial Soap. I just plop the aquarium in the bathtub and go to town. I dry it off and then vaccum the small crevices and corners. I also either throw out his hide boxes or clean them.

The change in substrate depends. Since I use newspaper (and I get it for free) I change it more frequently. If he has a water spill for some reason, if he poops, and after a feed I change it. I'm a neat freak only when it comes to my snake

blckkat said:
I do a complete tear down of my racks once a month and spot clean all tubs daily.

This is about my schedule...

I spot clean EVERYTHING daily...I will let the glass tanks go longer...because they are such a pain to clean...but all fecal matter and urates are removed on a daily basis...

I use Chlorhexidine solution to clean EVERYTHING....spray it on...wipe it off...done.
A lot easier than bleach and rinsing and all that nonsense...LOL

thanx guys. i just may get a corn snake on april 24 @ the ny expo (im thinking of paying my moms landlord rent for the snake 20$ or a lil more a month). so now i have a very desent understanding of corns now so wish me goood luck.i even wrote a care sheet on my site (check it out) one of best. c ya :toiletgra :D

I have pretty much the same schedule is missy, I dont see how tearing apart and bleaching the whole viv every week is necessary, but hey, whatever.

I guess I've been doing a thorough clean on Sienna's tank every 3 to 4 weeks; throwing it in the tub, bleaching it and the non-substrate contents, then rinsing everything, and oven-drying all the wood. It sounds like a lot of work when I write it down here, but I only have Sienna right now, so its not too bad at all. After the issues with the mites at the beginning I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Other than that I just do a spot cleaning every day.

I spot clean every day and remove and replenish the substrate after disinfecting the viv (with novalsan, thanks Terri) every 2 weeks. Whether or not it makes a difference to the snakes, the smell of fresh aspen in my bedroom is always welcome!

Please don't be upset here...I'm really not trying to be rude...but you have quite a few spelling mistakes on your website. (It's a weird obsession...I can't help pointing them out). I wonder if people will take your care sheets seriously if they have mistakes like that. :rolleyes:
Anyhow...good start...and good luck with the new corn :)

Daisy, I was thinking the same thing! things like temps should read 80-85F, not 85-80F. Their is a lot of other things. Don't take offense, please. You've also got to understand that placing credits does not give you the OK to post photos that are not yours.

Blckkat makes a VERY good point...
Not only is it rude...but illegal.
You could honestly be sued, chances are since you are not SELLING anything at the moment...you won't be...but if you ever do it WILL be construed as misrepresentation.

And I wouldn't use Lysol to clean anything.

Go to www.mgreptiles.com and buy some Chlorhexidine...one of the 2oz. bottles will make a gallon of the stuff...it will last a VERY long time...depending on how many enclosures you have to clean...but it can be used to clean any and all enclosures, furniture, dishes....spray it on...wipe it off....done.

daisy said:
Please don't be upset here...I'm really not trying to be rude...but you have quite a few spelling mistakes on your website. (It's a weird obsession...I can't help pointing them out). I wonder if people will take your care sheets seriously if they have mistakes like that. :rolleyes:
Anyhow...good start...and good luck with the new corn :)

i dont take your comments as an insult ( i know im not the best speller) so some times i ask some people when they have the time to read over whene they can and so if you see any errors just email me the corrections. thanx.

7 snakes: spot clean every few days. replace substrate and disinfect viv with novalsan once a month.

hediki said:
i dont take your comments as an insult ( i know im not the best speller) so some times i ask some people when they have the time to read over whene they can and so if you see any errors just email me the corrections. thanx.

typo tricks - you can search for form based spellchecker software that will spellcheck items such as forum posts and webpage creation forms. You could even type the information into a word processor or email client, spellcheck it there, then paste back into your webpage editor.
:wavey:

sumguy said:
7 snakes: spot clean every few days. replace substrate and disinfect viv with novalsan once a month.

typo tricks - you can search for form based spellchecker software that will spellcheck items such as forum posts and webpage creation forms. You could even type the information into a word processor or email client, spellcheck it there, then paste back into your webpage editor.
:wavey:

thanx. ill do it over the week end

Back