CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Variation in Orchids

Old 08-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
flutterbyu
Variation in Orchids

I’ve been interested in an orchid corn snake, but based on pictures I’ve seen, there is a lot of variation on their adult colors. Some have more pink, some have beautiful peach and lavender colors, and some just kind of look grey or light brown. Is there any way to predict from the hatchlings colors what it may look like as an adult?

Old 08-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Seeing pictures of the parents is probably the best way to predict. And with lavender, males tend to be a bit brighter or more colorful.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Rich Z
Heck, I remember that for a while I was thinking that somehow "hypo lavender" was sex linked to the males only. The males in clutches just stood out dramatically from the females.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Frank Pinello
My opinion is that Bloodreds/diffused seems to be sex linked in that males seem to be more diffused looking (Lesser head pattern and more diffused sides) than females. Very noticeable as hatchlings. I have hatch hundreds of diffused corn snakes in my life time and I could almost always pick out Hatchling males from females just by looking at them if the hatchling sibling Bloodreds were group together.
However that may be because almost all of my main Bloodred line is also carrying the masque Gene which I find does a similar thing.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
My opinion is that Bloodreds/diffused seems to be sex linked in that males seem to be more diffused looking (Lesser head pattern and more diffused sides) than females. Very noticeable as hatchlings. I have hatch hundreds of diffused corn snakes in my life time and I could almost always pick out Hatchling males from females just by looking at them if the hatchling sibling Bloodreds were group together.
However that may be because almost all of my main Bloodred line is also carrying the masque Gene which I find does a similar thing.
That's really interesting. I hadn't heard that about bloodreds. I'm going to have to go back and look at pictures of bloodreds I hatched to see if I can notice a difference!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google