CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My 15 year supposedly male snake just laid an egg. Now what?

Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Cursed_Witch
I wish i knew when I first posted about the slugs that there should be more eggs or the possibility. I thought that was it and done. Had I known, I would've done more research and learned about taking the eggbound eggs out out within a couple of days of laying the first one is crucial or else they harden. After they harden it is too late and the snake will die without surgery. I have never had a snake lay eggs.
Here are the videos
https://youtu.be/jOocF2xEhbI
https://youtu.be/fmePNDqStyg

Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
hypnoctopus
Oh shoot, poor girl. She definitely looks like she has more eggs in her. Have you read through this thread? http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...light=Eggbound

You might try massaging the eggs down before you do anything more drastic. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you some more pointers.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #13
Cursed_Witch
I managed to gently massage and push three eggs out. The first one was the problem and causing blockage was an egg that was dried up. Part of her shed skin came out while she was in my hands (had a damp paper towel)
I can tell she felt better right away, she completed her shed when I put her back and she's moving around.
I really felt sick doing it, my blood pressure was up and I felt I am going to faint. I hope I didn't harm her.

Now does that mean she is done laying eggs or she still has more?

Old 06-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #14
SnakeCreations
I'm so sorry. Well done - removing the slugs. You can hold her and gently run your thumb over her abdomen and see if you can feel any more "lumps". The trick in feeling actual eggs is that they're evenly spaced. I have found that exercising the female, either by holding or putting her in a tepid bath, seems to help the female to pass additional eggs.

I hope this works.

-Tonya

Old 06-25-2020, 12:56 AM   #15
hypnoctopus
Great job! And I agree with the previous poster - you can feel her to see if she has more. Hopefully she's done!

Old 06-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #16
Cursed_Witch
Thank you!
I think there are 4 more lumps (the one around her abdomen fairly larger than the rest)
Last night I tried feeding her two small hoppers, she only ate one. I cleaned her tank while she ate and found 16 hard eggs (slugs that someliquid started to ooze out which was weird). I guess those 9 days she was burrowed under her aspen that I thought she was prepping for a shed, she was actually laying eggs.
She was trying yesterday to push the remaining eggs. She still refuses to use the lay box with the sphagnum moss.
Do I help her with the massage and pushing again tonight? How much do I wait? I'm worried about the egg hardening and calcifying like it was last time and I may not help her in time.
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #17
hypnoctopus
My opinion would be to massage her some more. Like I said, I haven't had to deal with this personally, but I'd be worried about the amount of time the eggs have been in her.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
Cursed_Witch
I gave her a bath last night again. She doesn't seem to like those. This morning I massaged her, she wouldn't hold still but managed to get the egg that was closest to the vent out. It was surprisingly small and not dried/calcified. Then she moved around alot (even in and out of the lay box), defecated, then buried herself again hiding, I can only see her head.
There are no reptile vets around. I would have to take her into ER, (I already checked) how qualified would they be?
Plus I would have to curb-side drop her off.
I am currently disabled and dealing with recovering from two consecutive hip surgeries. This has been really stressful on me and if I have to take her somewhere I need to know it's the right place.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
hypnoctopus
Honestly, if they are not an exotics/reptile vet, I would be very hesitant to take my snake there. I think you're doing a good job with her. I know it's so stressful, but just keep doing the best you can and hopefully she'll pull through. Whereabouts are you located?

Old 06-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #20
Cursed_Witch
I gave her another massage about two hours ago and put her back, she moved around after and went back into hiding. No visible eggs yet.
I live in Watertown, MA

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google