CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heat between viv

Old 12-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
Patmart
Heat between viv

Hi could anyone help I need to stop the heat from my bottom viv going into my top viv ?
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Twolunger
Why is the lower viv generating so much heat that it is affecting the top viv? Are you saying that the lower viv heat is affecting the cool side of the upper viv? Can you space the vivs further apart? Can you affix a Styrofoam insulation sheet to the bottom of the upper viv? Can you set the upper viv on a piece of plywood?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Patmart
Hi no it’s the warm side it’s just that I have thermostat on the heat lamp and the lamp was going out
And I was worried that zuzee was not getting sufficient day time light the temperatures are fine in both viv,s
Anyway I think we’ve got it right now we brought a 50watt bulb and the light has not gone out today keeping a eye on both temperature
Pat

Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Patmart
Hi am I wright the the warm side should be 30c and the could side 20c are they the wright temperature??
Pat

Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Twolunger
Most of us use heat tape or heat pads, usually under the viv, to provide our heat source. Corns don't require light, beyond normal daylight, but some people like to have a light to watch their corns. I don't know if that is even necessary, as most corns stay in their hides.
30c is okay for the warm side, but 20c is too cool. I wouldn't go below 23 or 24c.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Patmart
Ok thank you just thought that corns need light in the day and dark at night
I’ve got heat lamp for the day time and heat mat for night time just to keep the viv a bit warm all night
Is that wright ??
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Twolunger
If you can control the heat output of your heat mat with a thermostat, that's all that's necessary. A heat lamp is not necessary, and some may argue that using one may cause the scales to dry out. Having said that, I'm sure someone is using a heat lamp right now, but not me. I like to keep the corn's requirements as simple as possible.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Patmart
Thank you very much I have got thermostat on both my mat and my lamp
In the UK our days are mostly dull
As I said I thought corns need 12 hours of light that’s why I’ve got heat lamp
My vivairiums are 3 foot long and 18 inches wide and high would just a heat keep it warm enough?
Pat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google