CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
OkeeteeMom
Thank you Haley.

To those of you (in this and other threads, too) who said check hides and decorations, you know that my reply was "I did"...and boy did I! However, you were right, and here's what happened...

There was a log/hide on Cassandra's cool side which we checked with flashlights and water. Yesterday I thought, what if there's some kind of invisible crack or hole that I'm just unable to see or feel, and what if she's in there? I took the hide to the kitchen, filled the sink with water and then submersed the log hide. No air bubbles came out. I repeated this 3 or 4 times thinking that if somehow, someway there was an invisible opening maybe the water would flush Cassandra out, but nothing. So I went on searching for the rest of the day. Last night I took the hide log out of the water and put it in the dish drainer where it stayed all night (yes it was in the water filled sink, for hours!).

This morning the search and rescue continued and when the Mister went to the store to buy some plastic liter bottles for making traps I started to question that hide again. I got a hacksaw and carefully cut the top off...as advertised it was in fact silicone-filled. I decided to saw down further and started thinking how horrid would it be if she was in there and I had drowned her yesterday. I cut down another couple of inches and when the hide cracked, out poured a very wet and resin shavings covered Cassandra. I checked her out thoroughly and gave her a shower before putting her back in her Viv.

I want to thank you all for being here for me. I thank God (literally) for you all. I hope no one ever has to go through this, BUT...

NEVER, EVER, NEVER FREAKIN' EVER TRUST A SILICONE FILLED HIDE LOG...NEVER!

Attached are some photos. Some are Macro (the openings look bigger). I want to point out that without backlight you could not see any opening. And by touch, you could not feel any opening...yet it was there, BUYER BEWARE!

In the first image you can see the second section (in red) that Cassandra was in.
In the 2nd image you can see the silicone filled tip (part one) sawed off, and above it is the chamber where I found Cassandra.
The third image is a Macro of the curved slit Cassandra got in through, which could not be felt manually or seen with a flashlight.

Tags
escape, escaped, escapee