CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Shipping NIGHTMARE

Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
MissMaddieMoo
Exclamation Shipping NIGHTMARE

This is going to be long, but read it... It's worth it.

I ordered my male proven breeder reverse okatee this past Saturday from a small herp breeder known as Tierney Reptiles that is based out of California.
I told him that Tuesday would be the best day for me to receive him because I wasn't working and I'd be home all day. He sent out the package Monday afternoon via FedEx Overnight Priority, arrival of package before 10:30 am.
I was very anxious and excited about my new snake, so I tracked the package, to the point where I literally found which airliner it was on and it's departure time and current location and so fourth. I did this until around 4:30 am.
The next morning I woke up extremely excited at 7:30 am because I just couldn't sleep. I sat by the window falling in and out of consciousness until 9:33 when I saw a FedEx Express truck pull up and I jumped up and raced outside to get the package. To my surprise, the package was skinny... and addressed to my father. I then realized that there was NO way that my 4 year old snake would fit in this tiny flat rate shipping box, but I signed for my father's package and asked the lady to check if she had any other packages and could've missed one. She went back and checked and told me that she surely didn't have another package addressed to me and gave me a number to call.
After calling the FedEx 1-800 number about 50 times trying to get through to a real person, I researched what to say and the numbers to press to let me talk to a representative. I told her my tracking number and said that the truck just arrived with another package that was not labeled for overnight delivery, but my priority package was not on the truck. After a few minutes of her searching, she found my package... 300 miles away in the Indianapolis shipping hub. She explained that the plane from LAX was delayed due to chemical difficulties and did not arrive in Indianapolis until the connecting flight to Kentucky had already left.
She then told me that my package would be delayed for an additional day.
I panicked and quickly told her that there was a live reptile inside the box and the reason I paid for overnight shipping was for the safety of the reptile inside the box and that this was absolutely unacceptable that I paid 70$ for overnight shipping when it was not even shipped to me overnight.
She apologized and said that there was nothing she could do for me, and that I'd just have to wait until tomorrow for the package to arrive.
I told her that this was unacceptable and that I expected a refund on the shipping for endangering the contents of my package. She then told me that she could not give me a refund because I did not get the live reptile secured with FedEx customs prior to shipping. In a rage, I hung up and immediately emailed Tierney Reptiles who assured me that they would try their hardest to get the cost of shipping refunded to me.
I had no option except to hope that the warehouse that my new snake boy was sitting in had air conditioning.
The next morning I woke up at 8:00 am, excited but also fearful.
The FedEx Express came at 9:20 am with my package and I rushed it inside to let the snake out of the bag (hah, sorry I had to.)
I was relieved to find that he was alright, and I quickly put him into his new viv, where he rushed to the water bowl and drank the equivalent of the Pacific Ocean.
I was lucky that he made it here alive. He is now currently coiled around my arm chilling out, as he has been for the past few hours.

So tell me, has anyone experienced a complete shipping disaster? Whether it resulted in the fatality of your snake or not, please let me know your stories or just your thoughts on my own nightmare!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
MysticExotics
It's probably best to leave him alone for about a week, and give him time to adjust to being in a new home, especially since he had an especially stressful shipping experience.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
kathylove
I have been shipping with FedEx since about 2004, and with Airborne Express and then DHL before that. Those latter 2 companies did have delays somewhat often, but it has been VERY rare with FedEx. No company is perfect, but I have been very happy with FedEx, especially compared to the other 2.

The most important suggestions I can make: 1. Always pick up at the local FedEx office. It would not have helped in your case. But over the years, I have found that MOST of the delivery mistakes were actually made by the driver or whomever packs the trucks for delivery. And keeping them at the FedEx office means they will not be bouncing around in a truck and will usually stay in a temperature controlled office awaiting pick up.

2. The other suggestion is that if something is amiss, please call the shipper FIRST, before contacting FedEx. If the shipper is experienced with FedEx, they will be aware of how the process works and may be able to accomplish something that you can't - unless you are also an experienced FedEx shipper. Also, 10 years ago when FedEx was first persuaded to allow reptile shipments, it was a hard won battle. They could change their minds again if they decide we are not worth their trouble. An experienced shipper will probably be able to get the best service while causing the least "ruffled feathers". Of course we want to demand acceptable service. But a recipient may be distraught and emotional compared to a shipper who knows how to deal with them. This is not to put down customers in any way. The fact is that a shipper should be considered a professional and should expect to see the package safely through the process until it is in the new owner's hands. The customer may never have shipped before and can't be expected to know all of the quirks of shipping live reptiles. I personally have emails from FedEx automatically sent to me at each stop. If it doesn't arrive on time to each point, I am the one who will be contacting both the customer and FedEx. IMO, that is the way shipping should be done.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathylove View Post
I have been shipping with FedEx since about 2004, and with Airborne Express and then DHL before that. Those latter 2 companies did have delays somewhat often, but it has been VERY rare with FedEx. No company is perfect, but I have been very happy with FedEx, especially compared to the other 2.

The most important suggestions I can make: 1. Always pick up at the local FedEx office. It would not have helped in your case. But over the years, I have found that MOST of the delivery mistakes were actually made by the driver or whomever packs the trucks for delivery. And keeping them at the FedEx office means they will not be bouncing around in a truck and will usually stay in a temperature controlled office awaiting pick up.

2. The other suggestion is that if something is amiss, please call the shipper FIRST, before contacting FedEx. If the shipper is experienced with FedEx, they will be aware of how the process works and may be able to accomplish something that you can't - unless you are also an experienced FedEx shipper. Also, 10 years ago when FedEx was first persuaded to allow reptile shipments, it was a hard won battle. They could change their minds again if they decide we are not worth their trouble. An experienced shipper will probably be able to get the best service while causing the least "ruffled feathers". Of course we want to demand acceptable service. But a recipient may be distraught and emotional compared to a shipper who knows how to deal with them. This is not to put down customers in any way. The fact is that a shipper should be considered a professional and should expect to see the package safely through the process until it is in the new owner's hands. The customer may never have shipped before and can't be expected to know all of the quirks of shipping live reptiles. I personally have emails from FedEx automatically sent to me at each stop. If it doesn't arrive on time to each point, I am the one who will be contacting both the customer and FedEx. IMO, that is the way shipping should be done.
Very good info!
I was going to add earlier, but I ran out of time:
At some point, people may encounter a problem or two.

The first snake I had shipped to me was delayed by a day. I was a nervous wreck, but she turned out ok. The package somehow got routed on the wrong hub transfer and went to Utah, instead of WA state.

A more recent incident was last year, and a letter got missed on the city of the FedEx Ship Center I pick up at, and even though the rest of the info was exact, the FedEx website changed the destination location zipcode. It got held up at the Seattle airport hub, and they called because the City and zip did not match. They were going to send it to a different hub, further south. I finally convinced them to drop it off at the next closest ship hub and I drove to pick it up.

I have had delays in delivery by a few hours, because of storms. One was an east coast storm, yet it still delayed a package going from CA straight up the west coast to WA. It's frustrating.

I agree with Kathy 150% about having packages shipped to a FedEx Ship Center, to be held for pickup. It is so much better for the animals being shipped.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Nanci
I always pack like there's going to be a delay. Really the main concern is temperature, so I use phase change material packs, so however long the snake is delayed, it's going to stay at 72F. Then, I know it irritates some buyers, but I always, only, send hold at location.

Glad your baby arrived safely!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
MissMaddieMoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathylove View Post

Upon emailing the shipper, he said that he's never had anything like that happen before. And I usually have them shipped to the FedEx store, but seeing that my parents are out of town and I cannot drive, that would've been an issue. And about the bumpy-ness on the roads in the truck, I'm not sure how many places have this, but our FedEx Express truck is actually a little Mini Van! Haha. It's all climate controlled and I thought the idea of a delivery van was somewhat adorable. Hahah!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
smigon
Maybe it wouldn't have helped much, but the person on the other end of the line had nothing to do with the mishap with the planes, you didn't need to berate her like that. Calmly explain the urgency and let her know it had nothing to do with her, it wasn't her fault, and you may have gotten not only your shipping refunded but they might have made an effort to get it on an earlier flight if available. SHE may not have been able to, but if you are calm and kind they could have involved a manager in the incident to further help you.

Unless the it is the person on the other end of the lines fault, being nice and kind to them goes a lot farther than raising your voice and hanging up in a rage.

I know you were excited about getting your snake, but things happen, and you have to roll with them sometimes, getting angry at someone who had nothing to do with your package besides work for the company's call center won't get you better treatment.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
HVani
These snakes are tough. 2 day shipping is not the end of the world, especially if the shipper packed them well. In extreme conditions(overly cold/hot) then it adds some risk. But corns snakes are very hardy, especially an adult.

I also agree with the above poster. You get further with a bit of kindness and understanding.

Luckily everything turned out fine

Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
MissMaddieMoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
Maybe it wouldn't have helped much, but the person on the other end of the line had nothing to do with the mishap with the planes, you didn't need to berate her like that. Calmly explain the urgency and let her know it had nothing to do with her, it wasn't her fault, and you may have gotten not only your shipping refunded but they might have made an effort to get it on an earlier flight if available. SHE may not have been able to, but if you are calm and kind they could have involved a manager in the incident to further help you.

Unless the it is the person on the other end of the lines fault, being nice and kind to them goes a lot farther than raising your voice and hanging up in a rage.

I know you were excited about getting your snake, but things happen, and you have to roll with them sometimes, getting angry at someone who had nothing to do with your package besides work for the company's call center won't get you better treatment.
I understand. The call went a little like this..
"Hello, I wanted to check where my package was that was supposed to be delivered via overnight priority."
"Can I have your tracking number and name?"
"12234595070294 (not really but you get it.)"
"It seems like your package arrived late at the hub after the connecting flight already departed. Your package will be delayed another day."
"Uhm. Well, I really need that package today... There's a live reptile inside and I'm concerned for it's well being."
"We will research the issue and give you a call back."
"alright... Thank you."

*3 hours later*
"Hello, Miss Smith. Unfortunately there is no way to get your package to you today."
"Oh lord. Are you serious?"
"Yes. I'm sorry m'mam. The case number is 1233445678 (again. Not really.)"
"Alright I guess. There's nothing you can do? Is there a way to get a refund on my overnight shipping because it wasn't actually shipped overnight?"
"Someone from customs could tell you that."
"K thanks." *hangs up flustered and worried*

Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Aurora314
I'm sorry to hear of your nightmare. My very hot climate here makes the thought of shipping errors that much more scary. I also agree with smigon. Most of the time, courtesy and patience, especially in the midst of a critical situation, gets better service. I'm glad to hear that your new arrival is safe and sound.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shipping snakes