CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

2 year old refusing meals

Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
behavis
2 year old refusing meals

Hello all,

I'm a bit worried about my corn snake. It's always taken food without any problems. He/she is around 2 years old now. I've pretty much sticked to feeding schedules and never had any problems with feeding. On the contrary he always seemed to want more and took food straight from the tweezers. I've always given thawed mice. Never had a regurge or anything like that.

There are no signs of being sick and he's still very active. He's always been a very active snake (chose the most lively one from the nest ;-)

It's been two weeks now since he's fed and refused a meal three times now. Normally I feed every 7/8 days. For a few months he's been taking two bigger or three small weened/ medium mice. I now first tried an adult mouse, the weight around 29gr. more or less the same weight as I fed before with two medium mice. I figured he didn't like the adult mouse so I tried a few days later with two weaned but he didn't take those either.

Should I be worried or is this not abnormal? I was thinking maybe he/she is getting around sexual maturity and he's priorities have shifted ;-) Is there a period of the year where snakes are thinking about nothing else then reproducing?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
keagan8davis
Could be a male looking for a female my males not eating either

Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Ravenessa
He's feeling the spring I think as long as he's not losing weight and the poop is fine he should be fine!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
behavis
okay that's a relief. Should I just try to feed him again in a week or so?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Ravenessa
You can try.. he may refused food for another month or so...

Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
behavis
okay, thanks for the help! I'll let you guys know when he's eating again

Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
It helps if you have more than one snake. I have three adult males that are only eating sporadically this year, so I only heat up one mouse at a time and if the first male refuses, then it gets offered to the second, and so on. That way I can still offer them food once a week, but mice don't have to go to waste.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
behavis
yeah it a bit of a waste of food but nothing I can really do about it, I just have one corn so...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google