CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

View Poll Results: What do you feed?
Frozen/Thawed 94 77.69%
Live 7 5.79%
Both 20 16.53%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Legitimate Reason Wanted

Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #81
SHAKSNAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
We all need to take a step back and think. The people who feed F/T, decide to feed that way because they do not want to see something horrible happen to their snake, like what happened to the one Tricksterpup has pictures of. The ones who feed live, do so for their own reasons, whether it is to save money or whatever their reasons. There are some people who will listen to reason and look at pictures and say, "OMG I didnt know that could happen" those tend to try to switch to F/T, I know I was one of them. Then you have the people that do not think it can happen to their animal until it does, they are then remorseful and ask for help, because their snakes bites just got infected. They learn the lesson the hard way.. But, then you have the people who feed live and never have a problem, they are the lucky ones.
I say, to each his own. We can try to educate people on the benefits of F/T, but if they are unwilling to listen, and look at the proof, then there is no point in harping on the subject every time it comes up. It is the same thing with co-habitation. I was guilty of it until I saw what can come of it. There are people who do it, and people who don't. Just try to educate people on the downfalls of it and if they want to listen they will, if they do not want to listen they won't. What happens to the snake is their problem, no matter how much you try to help, If they do not want it, they will not accept it.
glad to see you can at least accept it. i have a couple reasons why i feed live, and i don't feel like i have to explain myself to everyone. but mainly because its not in my area. very much out of the way. i have a petshop a walking distance away and they only have live.

i think an issue is that people automatically assume the worst of someone. like i said, im sure everyone who feeds live has their own reasons. and i dont think they need to come onto a forum to have to plead their case to some fake jury. who cares! jeez. a lot of us are adults and we have done our homework.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #82
Kali
The trollish has nothing to do with your feeding live, it has to do with the way you announce it on here. You might not be online much, but even you must know by now it's a sensitive topic.
Some feel much for it, some feel much against. But this is a nice site, and if everybody starts being antagonistic about things they feel strongly about, it ruins the atmosphere.
I don't know about other people, but I was raised to respect other people.
And even if you don't respect somebody because of their opinions or actions, respect the others on here who come here to follow an interesting thread and not to see people fight.

The usual response to something like this is "I didn't start it". And indeed I have used that phrase before too... when I was 10 or something.

It might not be completely fair to direct this only to you (so whoever the shoe fits...) but you do seem to have started it. And that was not nessecary imo.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #83
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKSNAKE View Post
glad to see you can at least accept it. i have a couple reasons why i feed live, and i don't feel like i have to explain myself to everyone. but mainly because its not in my area. very much out of the way. i have a petshop a walking distance away and they only have live.

i think an issue is that people automatically assume the worst of someone. like i said, im sure everyone who feeds live has their own reasons. and i dont think they need to come onto a forum to have to plead their case to some fake jury. who cares! jeez. a lot of us are adults and we have done our homework.
You would be surprised at just how many people do not do their homework and do come on the forums to ask about injuries to their snakes and how we as snake people would go about treating it, usually those are people who cannot afford a vet visit or the vet has no idea how to treat reptiles, and there are people here who would give vets a run for their money in the knowledge area on reptiles.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #84
SHAKSNAKE
Kali i get what your saying. i'm not out here to offend anyone. i'm just defending us responsible live feeders! all 4 of us! hahaha.
no but seriously, i wouldn't mind feeding f/t. i'll consider it if this petshop ever carries them. till then, its live.

too bad i won't be able to post any videos about it!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #85
wax32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
Pros of Live
  • Cheaper if you have a lot of snakes. WHAT??

Cons of Live
  • Can get expensive going to a local store to buy live if you are only buying for a few snakes. Even more expensive if you are buying for a lot of snakes, unless you know a mouse breeder and can get wholesale prices from him.
  • It only takes a MILLISECOND for a mouse to bite a snake eye.

Pros of F/T
  • If you only have one or two snakes or even more it can be cheaper. - Even cheaper if you have a LOT of snakes, you can buy in serious bulk so the shipping per mouse isn't bad.
  • NO risk of prey harming snake.

Cons of F/T
  • Can take up a lot of freezer space. That's what cheap chest freezers are made for!
  • If you do not have a local supplier than shipping costs can be high, unless you can find someone to split the cost with. Not really see above.
  • If ordering through the mail (rodent pro, mice direct etc) then you dont always know what you are getting and can get some bad surprises. This one is true, but reputable dealers fix problems.
  • Two words. Power Outage. One word: GENERATOR, good idea to have one if you don't have frozen mice.
  • If your snake decides it does not want to eat then you are stuck with a rodent you just wasted, unless you are lucky enough to have another you can feed it to. I'm lucky enough to have LOTS that will eat a second item.
BOLD text are my responses.

I did not read this big thread, so I'm sorry if my points were already made. Needless to say I voted F/T. I only feed live if the prey item doesn't have teeth yet and the snake hasn't started eating F/T yet.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #86
VickyChaiTea
I don't see how it's cheaper if you have a lot of snakes. You can raise/breed your own mice/whatever... then kill them and give them to the snake. No problem. It's like what, an extra ten seconds to do that? And it prevents your $600 snake from getting killed. Even if the store near you sells only live, kill the mouse yourself. It's not hard.

It all boils down to whether or not someone is willing to risk the life of their snake unnecessarily. You can't get around that fact.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #87
Lolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post
This is such a shame. Finally there was a thread about live vs F/T that remained quite civil, and (not sure this expression exists in english, but I think you get the meaning) Shaksnake you threw the stick in the henhouse. That badly thought out reply that can hardly count as a pro (even for live feeders) really sounds trollish to me.
Really? I didn't see it that way... his post made perfect sense to me, and didn't seem trollish at all. But what do I know?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #88
Lolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
We all need to take a step back and think. The people who feed F/T, decide to feed that way because they do not want to see something horrible happen to their snake, like what happened to the one Tricksterpup has pictures of.
I will bet money that snake was left ALONE with a rat for an EXTENDED period of time... am I right, Tricksterpup? I am perfectly aware of what can happen with an unsupervised live feeding, but responsible owners like myself don't do that - and the chances of a horrible injury during a carefully supervised feeding are pretty slim.

When I feed live the mouse/rat is dropped in, I watch and wait about 5 minutes, and then it's removed if the snake doesn't take it. I've been doing this for almost 2 years now, and nobody's been bitten or injured yet. Go to my ball python forum, where live feeding is more common (due to the picky nature of BPs), and most will say the same. We have large-scale breeders on that forum who only feed live, and nobody's lost a snake because of it - maybe a little nick here & there, but even those are rare!

So while I still wish all of my snakes would take f/t, I'm also not worried about my snakes dying from a rodent bite... as I don't put them in a situation where that could happen. I even choose to feed my BPs multiple mice instead of 1 rat (with the exception of Rosalind, who refuses mice), since I figure their teeth are less of a threat. I'll also remove & return any "crazy" rodents, if I think they might cause stress or injury to my snake. You can be responsible and feed live, or the breeders I know with collections of 100+ wouldn't still be doing it.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #89
Lolo
Btw, the only "legitimate reason" I need was proven earlier this week... I couldn't make it to the store for my usual Tuesday live feedings, so I decided to go ahead and try f/t with the ball pythons. I thawed a total of eight mice and one rat, and guess how many were eaten? TWO - and both were taken by the same snake. I ended up having to re-freeze a few, and passed off what I could to the corns (who'd just eaten 3 days earlier). Sorry, but that's a waste of my time & money, and I was left with a whole bunch of hungry snakes. You might call live feeding irresponsible, but I think starving a snake is even more irresponsible.

And yes, I've tried all the tricks to convert my BPs & live-only corn... braining, heating, paper bags, doing the zombie dance, etc. Some snakes are just not going to take f/t, and with BPs in particular their pickiness can be life-threatening. I had one who didn't eat for nine months, because apparently she only wanted an ASF - which are illegal here in California. I finally got my hands on a few, and luckily she went back to normal prey after that.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #90
Christen
Ok I know I have head problems but I don't understand the f/t con of power outage. Does this imply keeping the mice frozen or lack of way to warm mice? Do power outages happen that often in other places? I guess I mostly don't understand cause we have never had the power go out long enough that food in the fridge goes bad and I am sure that the snakes could wait till the the power comes back on to eat, if it is the warming issue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google