CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #161
SnakeAround
Does 32 qrt means 8 gallon? 106 means 26.5 gallon?

Well, my regular sized adults corns are in 30 gallons (6 x 6 x 3 = 108 liter).My large male corn is in a 46 gallon on its own. I guess I'm doing something right...

Elroyo, what's the third dimension of your rack tubs sized?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #162
Floof
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
Does 32 qrt means 8 gallon? 106 means 26.5 gallon?

Well, my regular sized adults corns are in 30 gallons (6 x 6 x 3 = 108 liter).My large male corn is in a 46 gallon on its own. I guess I'm doing something right...

Elroyo, what's the third dimension of your rack tubs sized?
The main thing people tend to look at, at least over here, is floor space. Not so much volume. I have my adult corn snake in a 41 quart tub, which is around 34" by 16" if I remember correctly. It's almost the same amount of floorspace as a 40 gallon Breeder style tank, just not as tall.

What are the dimensions of your cohabbing vivs? Length, width, height. A 46 gallon whatever can be any shape. It can be tall with narrow floorspace, which would be inappropriate for most corns. Or it could be short and long, a perfect cube, or anything in between.

I still don't agree with cohabbing, at least not in less than the ultimate ideal conditions. To give you some perspective, Christen has mentioned in the past that she cohabbed two female corns in a 110 gallon, I believe it was... Well, a 100+ gallon tank usually measures at 6 feet long. The size enclosure that you cohab two boas in. This is what any of us here would consider minimum to even begin entertaining the idea of cohabbing a couple corn snakes. It doesn't save you any space over just giving them each their own 3 foot enclosure, which is the whole point... They each have a space large enough to live comfortably without necessarily having to venture into the other's territory, if they so desire.

Whoops, didn't mean to get into the actual debate. Oh well, there's my $.02, anyway. Carry on... *fetches more popcorn*

Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #163
SnakeAround
I know floor space is most important, that is why my co-habbing vivs are 90 x 60 x 30 cm. I just wanted to check if people actually realized the size of my vivs, because I was a little surprised to find out that apparently the USA minimum size is a 20L.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #164
AliCat37
OH yey, here we go again.
That is definitely not big enough to house two corns in. Talk with those that have cohabbed correctly, and they will tell you the snakes never come near each other, so why even bother trying to force the issue?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #165
starsevol
Meh, just another selfish keeper with a constantly harassed female doomed to die young. Sad.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #166
BloodyBaroness
Beat me to it.

That tank is far too small for even considering cohabbing.

They do not to it in nature, unless forced by weather or some other conditions, they do enjoy it. It is against the core behavior of corn snakes.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #167
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronfusion@gmail View Post
On the flip side, if all the above cautions are observed, I don't think it is detrimental to keep corn snakes together. I have a breeding pair in a 4'x1'x20" tank that they seem to enjoy.
What makes you think they enjoy being together?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #168
Christen
Hey where is that dead horse animation or video thingy?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #169
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
Hey where is that dead horse animation or video thingy?
Sadly I think some people just don't get. The unfortunate thing is some new person will come along and read "if all the above cautions are observed". They don't read the rest of the thread or really understand those cautions.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #170
Christen
Oh I am not talking about you all pointing out his completely flawed points. I was talking about him digging up an old thread that has been dead since Sept. Then repeated everything in the thread just to say it is ok to co-hab. I am not sure if it was an attempt to bring up a hot topic or what but since he has deleted his comment I can't re-read it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google