CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Animal Cruelty Local Boy Charged.(not for weak at heart)

Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #141
MegF.
Actually cropping of ears and tails were not cosmetic before. Dobermans were traditionally cropped due to their job. Their ears and tails were thin and easily injured so they were routinely cropped to prevent this. Something like the shephards did to the ears of Kuvasz dogs so that the wolves that they defended the sheep from would not be able to grab the ears. It has become a cosmetic thing now and completely unnecessary. I love the look of a natural dobie or dane.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #142
snakemom1961
you and me too ......I think boxers and danes with natural ears are MUCH better then cropped. I saw a boxer with a really BAD crop job once and swore from that time forward if I ever got a breed of dog who's ears would normally be cropped there was no way I would do it!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #143
TandJ
Ryan uttered the following...

Quote:
WOW, i thot this thread has been dead for a loong time,
never the less, theres alot of good points in it

Now lets home someone doesnt bump my "biggest thread ever",
Bite your lip young man.. I hope you didn't open up that black hole..*lol* You just had to mention that thread didn't you?

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #144
RyanR
haha tim, i liked that thread, tho with the next UFC coming up, im sure someone will dig it up haha,

Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #145
v_various
nooooo! This thread is really a year old? I've been handing out rep points for the cool kids! gah. At least it was a good read.

Cropping? I think it looks awesome, but I'd never actually have it done to an animal. Just my opinion that it's wrong to change an animal to suit our whims. Fortunatly (or unfortunatly?) there are always tons of dogs at the SPCA, so if I ever did go crazy enough to want a dog/cat, I could get one someone already 'improved' and give it a good home (if declaw/croping was really that important. Never go for the cute one, folks! It's all about personality).

We had a dane come through with a botched crop job, it was really sad. The ears curled up over the head, and they couldn't stand up straight or hang down. It looked....rather ugly.

Fixing animals is very important, anyone who disagrees needs to watch some perfectly healthy animals get put down due to over population. For a few years.

And yeay to all the folks who let cats be cats, and leave their claws in. Soft paws and training and scratch posts for the win! You see, I would never want a cat that would destroy my stuff. So you know what? I just don't get a cat. I did have a bunny once, they're like cats but the destruction zone is limited to the floor level. That I could manage.
: D

Old 12-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #146
snakemom1961
My twin daughters volunteer at our local human society every saturday for about 9 hrs. If I am every fortunate to get my own place that will be THE first place I go to get another dog. I've had purebreds all my life that we have paid money for. My next dog will DEFINATELY be from the humane society!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #147
chibitamalove
I mostly like mutts better than purebreds anyway, so we always get our cats from the shelter.

Some purebreds I love, like Egyptian Maus or Korats, but honestly, I would NOT want to pay hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars for a cat who looks like it just got hit in the face with an airplane.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #148
MegF.
My sister has gotten several cats and one dog from the shelter. Unfortunately, they all ended up needing massive vet bills for all the diseases they picked up there. The dog got parvo and had a permanently damaged liver which required meds the rest of her life and the cats had respiratory infections. My friend got two cats from the humane society and spent thousands getting them well....I'm not sure it's the way to go. I have two stray cats now and most that I've ever had were abandoned kittens. However, I got them from private homes that rescued them, or they showed up at my house. In the case of Briscoe, my husband captured him at work and brought him home.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #149
Tyger9791
All four of my dogs and my cat are from the shelter. i also have fostered many...they've all been fairly healthy. the foster pups have had their bouts with worms and URIs thats why we pull them out of the shelter and into foster care, sort of preventative and also to treat their minor ailments before they do get severe. we've been very fortunate. i know of other animals that have been placed in foster care only to die of some illness, whether it's parvo or a terrible case of heartworms. shelter animals arent all sickly, but you do run the risk when you adopt from a shelter.

and as for ear cropping...here's my opinion of it...

this is Luchi, my "failed" foster. he's a black/white pit bull. i fostered him for a few months and finally adopted him in September. someone decided to go cheap and crop his ears themselves. after they botched the job, they dumped him at the shelter when he was 3 months old. we do wonder if they tried to do a battle crop. it's common here, people fight dogs. and they crop the ears down to the scalp on the bait and fight dogs. very sad.
Ear cropping isnt necessary. it's usually done for cosmetic reasons. and most people ask me about cropping the ears of the bulldogs i foster. i dont recommend it. too much of a risk of infection or the job getting botched. it takes a lot of skill to crop an ear correctly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google