CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Animal Cruelty Local Boy Charged.(not for weak at heart)

Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #41
Preita
cowboyman13 - (just kidding )
I don't think of the SPCA as tree huggers. They deal with some serious animal abuse issues. And these are animals people bought as pets, then basically turtured in one way or another. I don't equate them on the same level as the paint throwing peta nazis.

I agree that this could have been delt with buy the parents and some much needed disapline & maybe from the sounds of it theropy. I don't know of any grounded teenager willing to start clipping parts off an animal. Just MHO.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #42
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
Roy, I think her issue was that she was called an idiot...not that others are just as opinionated.
Thanks for pointing out the need for me to clarify my statement. I was mostly responding to her last two lines, where she wrote that all are entitled to their opinions, but that this discussion should die. At no time do I think that name calling is appropriate in a mature discussion, and it is obvious that weaver is no idiot. But I also think that everyone is entitled to express their opinions, and I don't think that this argument is ridiculous as weaver stated. She stated her opinion, argued it, and then seemed to declare that after doing so, the discussion should be over. I have no problem with her opinions, or with her expressing them-- even about the ridiculousness of this discussion. I disagree with her, that's all.

And my de-legging joke should not be taken seriously. I do care, and I hope that her cats are not subjected to this procedure.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #43
Preita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
And my de-legging joke should not be taken seriously. I do care, and I hope that her cats are not subjected to this procedure.
lol aw come on, they have little carts now a days

Old 12-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #44
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preita
lol aw come on, they have little carts now a days

Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #45
mbdorfer
I tried to stay out of this one, but I have to say that Kliban is my favorite author.
Still not sure how this went from an amateur surgeon removing rodent teeth to a debate on saving personal belongings from feline furballs

Old 12-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #46
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdorfer
Still not sure how this went from an amateur surgeon removing rodent teeth to a debate on saving personal belongings from feline furballs
Yeah! We should find the thread de-railer responsible and string him up.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #47
Jimmy Johnson
yep I said it

I am the one that said IN MY OPINION you are an idiot.
I still feel that way.
Yes that is calling names.
Yes it is rude.
Yes it was probably uncalled for.
Yes there are plenty of people who disagree with de-clawing but would also disagree with what I said or the way I said it.
But like you said...You posted your opinion, so guess what? I posted mine.
It mainly goes back to the statement about de-clawing so you don't have to beat the cat.
Idiotic.
People seem to think de-clawing and spaying are the same. They are not.
We spay and neuter our pets so there are not thousands and thousands MORE cats and dogs that get sent to animal shelters, pounds and humane societies to eventually be euthenised, when they don't get adopted.
It is for the overall health and saftey of the animals.
How many vets recommend spay and neutering. How many vets recommend de-clawing. I know of at least three vets in this area that refuse to de-claw a cat. They also refuse to clip ears and tails. They will, however spay and neuter dogs and cats.
Big difference.
I have seen cats and dogs spayed and neutered and I have seen cats de-clawed. The recovery time for spay and neuter is much quicker.
By the way...I have 8 cats. Love each one to death but way too many to have at one time.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:50 PM   #48
Bobo's Mama
My cat came to me spayed and declawed. I had no choice in the matter. I found her "as is". I don't really agree with de-clawing, because it is a bit brutal IMHO, but on the other hand, its kind of cute to watch her try to scratch everything. I had a cat with claws for a few years and he did tear up my favorite chair, but you know what... SO!! It is just an old piece of crap chair anyway, (in a god awful shade of pink ). I also taught him to use a scratching post and he scratched the heck out of that thing everyday. I put tape on the chair so he wouldn't scratch it anymore and it worked. So you can have your cat declawed or not, either way its still going to act like a cat.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #49
MegF.
Actually, the reason to spay and neuter goes beyond simply keeping animals from reproducing. Spaying a female reduces the chance of mammary cancers, and removes all possibility of pyorrhea, a serious infection of the uterus. Neutering males eliminates the chance of testicular cancer and some other types of cancers. As far as declawing. I think it's a cruel surgery with little or no benefit except to the owner. My cats are all indoor cats, and they all have their claws. They've all learned where to sharpen them too. Usually sharply saying their name is enough to get them to quit sharpening. As far as the reason for this thread, there is no reason why a 14 yr. old should not know that cutting teeth and claws off a poor mouse is cruel. He needs serious help before he becomes the next Jeffrey Dommer. Almost all psychopaths started out torturing and killing animals before moving on to people.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #50
Rorryy
A cat named Max

I am not posting to get into the "debate" I just wanted to tell a little story. Two and a half years ago my boyfriends precious little boy Tyler was killed in a drunk driving accident that also took the life of his mother. I inherited Max, Tylers kitty cat. He was a huge tabby that had been declawed, I was told that the reason for the declawing was so that Tyler wouldn't be scratched by Max. Of course my "opinion" is to teach the child how to play with the cat nicely so that he doesn't get his face clawed off. When my son gets clawed by his cat he learns "hey, maybe I shouldn't touch my cat like that she doesn't like it". Anyway on with the story, I had a cat and dog of my own that go in and out all day long. It was sooo sad watching Max pout and then try attacking my cat when she came back inside. He wanted to go outside too! On two occasions Max escaped and as you can imagine it was sheer panic and long minutes (seemed like hours) trying to find him before a neighborhood dog did. So the story goes that our family left town for a month and had to find care for the animals. Max went to the home of a trusted family friend who knew the extra special importance of this pet to our family. Max got outside during his stay and we have never seen him again. The friend found parts of him and figured a coyote got a hold of him since he couldn't climb a tree for safety. I was not for declawing kitty cats before this and am even more stead fast against the practice now. You can do your best to keep your feline friend indoors but unfortunately your best isn't always good enough for your pets safety. People will continue to do what suits them and I'll do what suits me. Just wanted to share my Max story, thanks for reading.

Angela

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google