CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Controversial Topic #3: Replies to "Newbs"

Old 06-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #51
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil
My overwhelming feeling is that this forum supports the hobby in an incredibly robust and supportive manner. No-one on here is obliged to help others, but they do, passing on experience from the basics of husbandry to the complications of genetics. Showing all aspects of the snakes they keep, from egg-laying to pipping and so on, in particular telling of mistakes they have made, the consequences and remedies is so helpful.
I have seen some (imo) unnecessarily harsh responses, but I'm aware that sometimes there is only so much rubbish you can take before you crack, the people who post the links (Duke of url springs to mind) are giving a real boost up the learning curve for anyone starting in the hobby.
From my first post, about my poor-feeding snake, I got excellent advice and felt so supported, so just a great big thanks to this forum in general
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to diamondlil again"

I agree completley with your response and would also say that this forum is EXTREMLY helpful, if not the best information site about corn snakes and to some extent other reptile species i have come across so far

Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #52
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodu
If you want to reply - reply pleasantly and then if the poor netiquette or stupidity continues walk away!
Best words yet spoken on this thread, imo - it's also a prelude for:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbyra
I don't agree with the "groups formed.. in older members" comment. I've noticed that most older members help newbies out a lot.
The former has nothing to do with the latter. There are groups formed among the older participants - if this were not the case, I doubt that dinner plans for Daytona and Tinley would take place.

Among those older members, practically all are willing to help out and answer questions, given the varying tolerance level each has to prior research taken, grammar, country of origin, fluency of English, and other factors. If you've been tracking this thread, this isn't news.
Quote:
And with "Thus causing other less experienced members to give ill advice", since when do you need an excuse to reply to a post Attention Girl Tula?
I'll be the first to admit that I hold the opinion that Elle's frequent posts are made as often to incite a response as they are to provide information; matter of fact, I may have been the first to post it in a thread.

Fan of irony that I am (I'll usually surround admonitions of "use proper spelling and grammer" from 'veterans' with pseudo-HTML tags of < irony >), I'm compelled to reply that, when the purpose of this thread (as I see it) is to bridge the frustration gap between noobs and the usual suspects, your apparent baiting and name calling has perhaps widened the gap.

'Tis a pity.

For emphasis, I'll close with my opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodu
If you want to reply - reply pleasantly and then if the poor netiquette or stupidity continues walk away!
< /irony >

regards,
jazz

Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #53
Serpwidgets
I don't think I have ever seen any major complaints aimed at posts where a word or two was spelled wrong. The complaints in that department are when the post is so illegible that ethay olewhay ostpay ightmay asay ellway ustjay ebay inay igpay atinlay.

As some of the non-native-English-speaking members have pointed out, it can be challenging enough for them to read posts that are written properly, but sometimes it is completely impossible for them to read posts that are written as if the person was typing while wearing boxing gloves.

And I also disagree with the idea that 13 year olds shouldn't be expected to be able to spell or know how to act in an appropriate manner.

Here are some 8th grade spelling words:
<table border=1><tr><td>abbreviate</td><td>discernible</td><td>malefactor</td><td>callus</td><td>gigantic</td><td>radioactive</td></tr><tr><td>absorbent</td><td>discrepancy</td><td>malicious</td><td>cancellation</td><td>gnawing</td><td>rapacious</td></tr><tr><td>accept</td><td>disinterested</td><td>markup</td><td>canvas</td><td>gorgeous</td><td>rayon</td></tr><tr><td>access</td><td>disoblige</td><td>mattress</td><td>canvass</td><td>grotesque</td><td>raze</td></tr><tr><td>accessible</td><td>dissociate</td><td>mesmerize</td><td>capricious</td><td>gymnasium</td><td>recently</td></tr><tr><td>accessory</td><td>distress</td><td>meteor</td><td>carburetor</td><td>handicapped</td><td>reconcile</td></tr><tr><td>accoustics</td><td>diurnal</td><td>metric</td><td>cashier</td><td>handling</td><td>relevant</td></tr><tr><td>accumulate</td><td>divine</td><td>mischievous</td><td>catastrophe</td><td>handsome</td><td>relief</td></tr><tr><td>acknowledgment</td><td>domestic</td><td>misgiving</td><td>centripetal</td><td>haphazard</td><td>repulse</td></tr></table>

Old 06-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #54
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbyra
Just wondering, what does GBB stand for?
Um, search the FAQs. It's in every one posted.

regards,
jazz

Old 06-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #55
snake5007
sorry i'm a bit late. i'm still new here,but i've found that most people are polite and give sound advice. if i'm doing something wrong and a senior member points that out to me,i won't get offended because that's how we learn whats right and wrong. just my opinion.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #56
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
....to read posts that are written as if the person was typing while wearing boxing gloves.
How can you do that?

regards,
jazz

Old 06-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #57
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
I don't think I have ever seen any major complaints aimed at posts where a word or two was spelled wrong. The complaints in that department are when the post is so illegible that ethay olewhay ostpay ightmay asay ellway ustjay ebay inay igpay atinlay.

As some of the non-native-English-speaking members have pointed out, it can be challenging enough for them to read posts that are written properly, but sometimes it is completely impossible for them to read posts that are written as if the person was typing while wearing boxing gloves.

And I also disagree with the idea that 13 year olds shouldn't be expected to be able to spell or know how to act in an appropriate manner.

Here are some 8th grade spelling words:
<table border=1><tr><td>abbreviate</td><td>discernible</td><td>malefactor</td><td>callus</td><td>gigantic</td><td>radioactive</td></tr><tr><td>absorbent</td><td>discrepancy</td><td>malicious</td><td>cancellation</td><td>gnawing</td><td>rapacious</td></tr><tr><td>accept</td><td>disinterested</td><td>markup</td><td>canvas</td><td>gorgeous</td><td>rayon</td></tr><tr><td>access</td><td>disoblige</td><td>mattress</td><td>canvass</td><td>grotesque</td><td>raze</td></tr><tr><td>accessible</td><td>dissociate</td><td>mesmerize</td><td>capricious</td><td>gymnasium</td><td>recently</td></tr><tr><td>accessory</td><td>distress</td><td>meteor</td><td>carburetor</td><td>handicapped</td><td>reconcile</td></tr><tr><td>accoustics</td><td>diurnal</td><td>metric</td><td>cashier</td><td>handling</td><td>relevant</td></tr><tr><td>accumulate</td><td>divine</td><td>mischievous</td><td>catastrophe</td><td>handsome</td><td>relief</td></tr><tr><td>acknowledgment</td><td>domestic</td><td>misgiving</td><td>centripetal</td><td>haphazard</td><td>repulse</td></tr></table>
i have to agree with you there,serp.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #58
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
How can you do that?

regards,
jazz
Yeah, like that's a question nobody ever asks... bzzzt

BALEETED!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #59
zwyatt
Quote:
The former has nothing to do with the latter. There are groups formed among the older participants - if this were not the case, I doubt that dinner plans for Daytona and Tinley would take place.
I think the important difference here is to discern that there are 'groups' formed, but not cliques (at least by my estimation).

Of course, members form groups (AKA Friends). Many members have been around for years and go back to before the cs.com forum as we know it existed. How can they be expected to not have formed friendships? There are going to be topics that they discuss to which not everyone is privy. There are going to be inside jokes that not everyone is going to understand (and may even be the butt of).
If they appear to stick together, it's probably because they've been learning about this hobby together and from one another for the last several years.

No one forces anyone to give bad advice. If they don't know the answer they shouldn't give out the advice. If they feel no one is answering someone's question, then they should just advise that the person try a search on the topic. If a thread receives no responses it's probably because the answer is everywhere on this forum. If it's a new/difficult situation, then members with knowledge on the topic will surely speak up and help out.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #60
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Sure, there are groups formed. I think it would be crazy to try to say there aren't. But I also would have to say it's a good thing that members of a community like each other.

However, what makes this board different from every other forum I've been a member of (a lot of forums, on a lot of different topics) is that when there is a disagreement about any issue here, there is no "everyone must agree with the group" mentality. The "senior" members will post an entire spectrum of of opinions that contradict many of the other people who are supposedly of the "same group" as themselves.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google