CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

My own little controversial topic... Just how "weird" are we?!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #71
Mrs InsaneOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
Why did I ask!

I'll be rocking in my little corner unable to sleep forever Trevor... Grrrrrr
You think the pictures are bad? You should try seeing one in person. The way they move, the way they seem to follow you once you've dug them up or uncovered them... The colors and just them... *shudders* I forgot them nasty things existed. I haven't seen one for years, but they used to terrify me when I was younger. Once found a huge group of them, must of been about 20 or 30 of the buggers, and they all seemed to come pouring out of the hole I'd been digging and at the time I swore they were coming to eat me!

Great... now I'm going to have nightmares!

Jenn

Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #72
LabrinthianPomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticknives
I forgot to add: it's even BETTER when they yell with a Newfie accent.
good thing most people who are good at curling seem to be from newfoundland.
wayyy more entertaining than golf.

hah, i like curling too.
and those bugs are terrifying. did you have to make the pictures so HUGE? it filled up my entire screen. ahh.

but on topic, I think people see snakes as out of the ordinary, so they see us as out of the ordinary too? I don't really understand why sometimes. expecially when I know that my snake is so much better behaved and much tamer than any rodents i had as a kid. i think dogs are the best pet, becuase you get so much out of them and they become more of a family member than a pet, but i think you get just as much out of a snake than you do a cat or a rabbit or whatever, and it requires less actual care. i mean it requires good quality care, but you only have to feed it and clean it once a week or so.... and most people aren't vegetarians, so why should they be weirded out that we feed mice to our snakes? they eat meat too.
weird.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #73
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty_mussolini
http://www.potatobugs.com/
You asked for it!!!
GAH!!! NOOOOO!!!! Why OH WHY did I click the link.. I knew what I would see... I knew I wouldnt like it... oh but I did it, and now Lore is to have nightmares!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #74
Tula_Montage
Maybe theres a trend with snake keepers... We are wussies when it comes to minuscule bugs but give us a 20ft retic to cuddle anyday!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #75
Sisuitl
Most people get really surprised when they find out we keep snakes, and their first question is always, "why!?!" At this point we only have corns so it's not too difficult showing them how wonderful they are with their mellow temperments and wide variety of beautiful colors. When all else fails I bring out Rosella, "The Pink Snake" She has converted many a preppy snake hating cheerleader over to the awesome side. My grandmother even held her. My grandmother used to kill garter snakes with a hoe if she saw them she was so afraid of snakes. Not anymore!

The biggest fear reactions we get are when they go visiting the kids at the hospital, and the staff from Africa and India are really terrified, especially of the big bloodred. Usually though they figure out that they are harmless, and while they think we are weird are appreciative of the kids having a good time.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #76
JasonGranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
Snakes as creatures IMO don't deserve to be symbolised as the epitome of evil - no matter how significant it is to religious culture.
As a Christian and snake owner, I disagree that snakes are significant in our "religious culture." Makes no sense. I don't believe they're bad at all. I think it's just snake haters trying to find a feasible reason to hate them.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #77
suecornish
I started keeping snakes the beginning of the year. If someone told me last year this time I would have two grown snakes and one baby in my house and that I would actively play with them and worry about them like they were actual children I would have told them they were crazy.

Peoples reactions fall in three groups - creeped out, grossed out or "better you than me". People don't like snakes either because they feel a snake is sneaky - they can't hear the snake; don't like them because they eat their food "raw"; or, because the Bible depicted Satin as a serpent (snake).

They don't understand that snakes and what snakes do are part of God's plans and they are one of God's creations. It takes us educating them as long as they are open minded.

I have always respected snakes and, at times, been in awe of them by their size, muscle power and abilities along with the different kinds of snakes; the hot ones are just as beautiful.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #78
tyflier
The biggest thing I run into is fear. People are afraid of snakes, because they think that all snakes are dangerouse.

It's funny, because if you show them pictures of JUST the TEETH of a dog or cat and your corn, and ask them which they would rather get bitten by, i guarantee you that everyone will choose the snake over the dog or cat.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #79
DaGiant
Well, in Jul '05 I wouldn't get within 6ft of a snake, lizard, spider, etc..
a friend of mine gave my son a 2mo old Bearded Dragon, I got to like the darn thing.
Then in Apr '06 I took a chance and bought my '05 Striped Motley,
Now I own 3 corns a beardie and a rose Hair Tarantula.. So it gets addicting, and I'm loving every minute of it!!
As for the "Religious ramifications".. Hog Wash!! I'm a Chaplain for the So Cal
chapter of "Racing with Jesus" ministries and still love my Herps too.. LOL

Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #80
Hypancistrus
My experience as a snake owner

First of all, I am with Jenn- I was insane and "abnormal" (if there is such a thing) way before I bought Hokie in September. I've been an intense fish keeper for 15 of my 25 years, and mad about other animals to boot- kept everything from anoles to pillbugs to gerbils to birds at one point or another. So perhaps the people close to me have come to see this madness as normal.

BUT...

The people I work with have not had such a chance, and to them I will always be an outsider, someone who is just weird enough that they've nothing to really say to me. They sit at lunch and talk about what color to paint their walls at home, and I sit at lunch and draft plans for a terrarium rack for my new house that will take up much of the dining room wall. They stand in the halls talking about their trip to Ocean City over the long weekend, and I went to a reptile show. So we don't generally talk, because I've nothing to talk about with them. And to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all. I'd much rather spend my time here (and on my fish and frog forums) with the rest of you "weirdos" than with those... normal people. Ugh.

My students on the other hand have a positive reaction to the snake almost every time. I had him out one morning last week and this girl who is (WAS!!) deathly afraid of snakes FINALLY reached out a finger and touched him. And then, she touched him again. "Ooooh, he's not slimy!! He's so smooth!!" Yeah, how 'bout that, mate?? Friggin awesome experience. Hokie at this point is so utterly adorable that you can't help but love him. He has won over more "scared people" than I can count, and he's only 6 months old or so!! He's just incredibly sweet, and I think he's going to turn out to be an excellent ambassador for his kind.

In essence, people probably think I am weird and talk about me behind my back, but I'd rather be weird than like them... normal to a fault.

In the words of Avril Lavigne, I'd rather be anything than ordinary, please.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google