CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Hooollooween Photo Contest?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #61
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
A name drawing could cause hard feelings because it wouldn't be anonymous, that is why I am looking for other solutions. No one would be "pushed back in line" because of their birth date...However it wouldn't really be "fair" to take all three categories and whomever has the highest votes gets first pick when each category would be voted on based on different criteria. The only way I could see that working and it being "fair" is having a 2nd poll to determine who gets first pick per prize level.

I really don't like the idea of picking prizes and putting them in order of 1st, 2nd, 3rd prize either. Different prizes hold different value to different people, you know?
Well, think of it this way (just using random numbers here)
Let's say that 250 people voted for my picture, and 150 people voted for your picture. We both made it into the final 3. Now, my birthday is June 4th, but let's just say that your birthday is October 20th. I would get "bumped back", even though my picture had more votes, just because of my birthday. So really, the highest votes really is the only way to be truly fair about any of it.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #62
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
Well, think of it this way (just using random numbers here)
Let's say that 250 people voted for my picture, and 150 people voted for your picture. We both made it into the final 3. Now, my birthday is June 4th, but let's just say that your birthday is October 20th. I would get "bumped back", even though my picture had more votes, just because of my birthday. So really, the highest votes really is the only way to be truly fair about any of it.
I didn't say I didn't "get" the reasoning...I explained my reasoning why that could still be considered "unfair" as well and provided a solution to make it "fair"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TME
However it wouldn't really be "fair" to take all three categories and whomever has the highest votes gets first pick when each category would be voted on based on different criteria. The only way I could see that working and it being "fair" is having a 2nd poll to determine who gets first pick per prize level.
When I get home from work tonight I'll run a search on other picking prize ideas. In the meantime, I would love to hear other suggestions.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #63
Mrs InsaneOne
In order to avoid any seemingly unfairness, we could just assign a prize to each category, for the respective winners. That way, there's no room for anyone to say that they should have had a chance to pick first, but were unfairly overlooked. That's the way it has been done in the past contests - for the most part, and people could enter their photos in the category that has the prizes they'd prefer or in the event they don't want those particular animals, substitute a gift cert for X amount towards the purchase for another hatchling or pair of hatchlings good for the 2009 season. The amount of the certs could be based upon an average of the prizes, so that it works out fairly for all involved.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #64
Calift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs InsaneOne View Post
In order to avoid any seemingly unfairness, we could just assign a prize to each category, for the respective winners. That way, there's no room for anyone to say that they should have had a chance to pick first, but were unfairly overlooked. That's the way it has been done in the past contests - for the most part, and people could enter their photos in the category that has the prizes they'd prefer or in the event they don't want those particular animals, substitute a gift cert for X amount towards the purchase for another hatchling or pair of hatchlings good for the 2009 season. The amount of the certs could be based upon an average of the prizes, so that it works out fairly for all involved.
I agree with it....just to make it simple, why not assign the prizes instead of everyone choosing their own? Gift certs as back-up are a good idea, but who's going to turn down any free prize?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #65
Mrs InsaneOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calift View Post
Gift certs as back-up are a good idea, but who's going to turn down any free prize?
People who don't really have the room, contestants that are under age, etc... you'd be surprised. =)

Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #66
Jynx
These sound like fantastic ideas! I'm on board with the idea of assigning prizes. In all honesty, if hopes are high, there will be hard feelings in just about any situation if someone wins a prize that someone else wanted. Picking by name, number, birthday or whatnot just will cause more conflict, as Robbie stated above.

I understand why you are trying to look for a way to choose though, but its almost impossible to make EVERYONE happy. If you want them to be able to choose, I think that assigning certain prizes per each category, and then having the winner for that category choose first (if they really want) would probably work better. If there is a particular prize someone wants, then they can enter that specific category assigned to that specific prize. I know I have enough issues getting one killer shot, let alone 4!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #67
JoannaD
I'd be happy to give a "gift certificate" towards a future MoJo Herps purchase for anyone that would not want to receive the snakes now.

I like the idea of assigned prizes as that way there is no arguing or bad feelings. I know in years past some prize winners exchanged prizes on their own.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #68
Tula_Montage
I think us internationals got the short end of the stick

I think prizes should be assigned to each particular section of the contest. If people want to commit to the prize they will enter the competition. Those who have no interest in the prize either will not enter or should be allowed to say who they want the prize to go to ie a runner up or their favorite entry.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #69
Mrs InsaneOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
I think us internationals got the short end of the stick

I think prizes should be assigned to each particular section of the contest. If people want to commit to the prize they will enter the competition. Those who have no interest in the prize either will not enter or should be allowed to say who they want the prize to go to ie a runner up or their favorite entry.
We'd be happy to accept other donations for prizes for those outside of the US. Or other suggestions for prizes, the whole reason we added an international category was to make it a little more fair for CS members who reside overseas. =) And the gift certs I was going to offer, would have been of equal value to a pair of snakes for the same prize in one of the other contests - one of the reason why the exact amount hasn't been posted yet.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #70
Tula_Montage
I could come up with something however I still want to enter the competition...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google