CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Hooollooween Photo Contest?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #71
Mrs InsaneOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekers71 View Post
A question has just been asked by a prize donating member--

"Can they still be allowed in the contest if they donated and prize?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
I don't see why not. They aren't handling the rules or contest photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
I could come up with something however I still want to enter the competition...
See above quotes... =) Donating doesn't exempt you from the contest, just planning and helping coordinate it does. So, I won't be entering.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #72
Tula_Montage
Ahhh well I will have a think about something unusual/interesting for us internationals

Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #73
LindsayMarie
I like the idea of contests coming back. But I do sometimes wonder how fair it is!? I too found it in the past to be like a popularity contest. As long as the quirks can be fixed, I think it would be fun!

I read some of this thread, not all, so if I missed something I am sorry! I am really busy today! Baby snakes do not cooperate for pics, arghghgh! If I can be of any help, just pm me I may even be able to donate a pair of corns. I need to get through them all first. Thanks, LindsayMarie

Old 10-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #74
Blue Apple Herps
This sounds like a GREAT idea!! I know others have offered snakes to donate, I have some that I could donate as well if we need some more prizes, or wanted to have enough so that the top three (or two, or whatever) all go snake prizes.

I have 1.1 caramel het amel 66% het hypo, charcoal, and blood, 1.1 normals het butter 66% het hypo, charcoal, and blood, and 1.1 anery 66% het lav motley. I would love to donate these as prizes if they could be used! Just let me know.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #75
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayMarie View Post
I like the idea of contests coming back. But I do sometimes wonder how fair it is!? I too found it in the past to be like a popularity contest. As long as the quirks can be fixed, I think it would be fun!

Thanks, LindsayMarie
I think this has been a concern for a lot of people. To eliminate any doubts, all pics will be submitted to TripleMoonsExotic and she will post them for voting with out the names of the contestant attached. This way no one will no who they are voting for.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #76
KJUN
For the record, I've never entered on of these type "contests," and I doubt that I ever will. Not my thing. I'll probably enjoy watching other people's work get shown and admired, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodu View Post
I'd be happy to give a "gift certificate" towards a future MoJo Herps purchase for anyone that would not want to receive the snakes now.
I was thinking about donating a gift certificate towards a purchase - not a particular animal itself - so that a winner could pick something they wanted now or later. I'm not sure this would fit in the rules as they are being laid out (so I hadn't mentioned it until now). I'm waiting to see how the contest works itself out first, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekers71 View Post
I think this has been a concern for a lot of people. To eliminate any doubts, all pics will be submitted to TripleMoonsExotic and she will post them for voting with out the names of the contestant attached. This way no one will no who they are voting for.
Suggestion - what about making a rule saying an image is disqualified if the person taking an image does anything ("judges" discretion) to tell people it is their photo: no posting images from the same shoot, no posting the same set of images on another form, no using the image as their avatar, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
I didn't say I didn't "get" the reasoning...I explained my reasoning why that could still be considered "unfair" as well and provided a solution to make it "fair"...
What are you going to do, anyway, take people's word for their birthday? Make them show a birth certificate? Check the TIME on the birth certificate in case they are born on the same day? Obviously, I bring this up purely for the humor aspect, but the point is a serious one. Heck, if you don't like the NUMBERS of votes, go with the highest proportion of votes for each one based on the number that image got versus the number of people that cast a vote in that category....or something meaningful besides a birthday (which has nothing to do with talent or image quality). At least go with something that MEANS somethings relevant to how good the photo is. To me, that makes sense. The birthday idea may be OK for silly family get-togethers, but I don't think it is a good way to assign awards....if the categories aren't assigned snakes BEFORE people decide to enter a photo or not (which is how others suggested it).

Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #77
ghosthousecorns
LOL there is still a possibility that someone can recognize someone else's snake!
I am wondering since so many people are offering to donate prizes if it wouldn't make sense to have another contest later, like a Xmas or Thanksgiving one? I am happy to see so many people stepping up and offering hatchling prizes (or could it be we all need to clear out some rack space )
I was born Oct 30 so I wasn't going to say anything about using the date to assign prizes, heh heh. But I do think in the past the contests have clearly had the prize for each category already assigned and if a person did not want a snake they need not enter (or can 'give" away the prize too.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #78
bekers71
I have to agree with some and say it is probably best to just assign the prizes to the categories. I think it would lessen confusion and hostility between people who, by their thoughts, should get first pick. If they don't like the prize offered then they don't have to enter. Or we could offer an alternate prize such as a gift certificate from other members that have offered.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #79
torsten
another question i ask is that if i post a picture i assume it will have to be in the international section.... so does anyone have any ideas what those pictures will entail, what is the topic?

also, if someone in germany for instance offers a snakes as an international prize then i don't really want to have to pay shipping to get it here so i need to know what the prize is, also as space is an issue for me, if the prize is an animal depending on what it is i may not have space or it may not be worth me paying for delivery of it so those prizes would need to be known..

another point with the international part is if by some miracle i win a contributor membership (unlikely i expect) then would that start now or at the beginning of the calender year? also if it started from now do you get a year from the day you become a member?

other than those queries i think it is a great idea.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #80
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten View Post
another question i ask is that if i post a picture i assume it will have to be in the international section.... so does anyone have any ideas what those pictures will entail, what is the topic?
First, that topic would be further explained in that contest rules. Secondly, your being able to enter would entail some one talking to an adult to confirm you are indeed allowed to enter.

Quote:
also, if someone in germany for instance offers a snakes as an international prize then i don't really want to have to pay shipping to get it here so i need to know what the prize is, also as space is an issue for me, if the prize is an animal depending on what it is i may not have space or it may not be worth me paying for delivery of it so those prizes would need to be known..
I think this also goes back to the certificates. "If" you were too win and it is not feasible to ship then I'm sure an arrangement could be made for a certificate of some kind. But if you don't like the prize that's offered to begin with, then why even bother to enter?

Quote:
another point with the international part is if by some miracle i win a contributor membership (unlikely i expect) then would that start now or at the beginning of the calender year? also if it started from now do you get a year from the day you become a member?
other than those queries i think it is a great idea.
One year membership= ONE YEAR or 12 months from the day it is paid for. Meaning when your win is confirmed the member that offered to pay for it will be contacted to take of the payment for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google