CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Picking up a pair of rescues, advice?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
carnivorouszoo
Picking up a pair of rescues, advice?

On the 23rd I will be picking up a pair of corns that have been co-habbed their whole lives and fed pinks, fuzzies and hoppers their whole lives. These poor snakes appear to be fat. I need advice on how to handle them.

First I do not want to continue to cohab them. How bad will being seperate affect them?

Second, they are 4 years old and look bigger than my 3 year old who eats adults. They are used to being fed ALOT. Like 3-6 feed items 2-4 times a WEEK or so. How long should I NOT feed them and should I work up to adult or just go to that size? They ARE FT fed so that is a giant relief.

I have no interior stairs and the outside stairs on not safe 1. because of all the spaces they could get away through if I am not careful and 2. because it is so cold so exercise advice and when to start would be great. These are my first FAT rescues. My first ever snake, the 3 year old I have, was underfed. He was being fed once a month so he was easy to straighten out.

I will be taking their first defs in for a parasite screening so no worries there. Also they are used to being kept at about 70-74 degrees in a basement, I keep my house at 78-83 and have my snakes at room temp with no issues, will being warmer like this be a shock? Will it affect how long to wait to feed them?

I am attaching the pics I got of them. They are an 07 male Amel and an 07 female snow. I would love to be able to breed the female come spring but NOT at the risk of her health so anyone who has saved a fat female and later bred her please tone in with how you evaluated her to decide it was safe to breed her.

Last question, as they have been together and have bred in the past (but I have not been given details on how often eggs came or if they hatched) what are the chances she maybe gravid this late in the year? I have only bred once, so am unsure how to tell if she might be? And should I just go ahead and assume she is to be safe?

All advice is greatly appreciated.