CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Identify?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
cardicorgi
Identify?

I am still new to wild snakes so I would love some confirmation about what kind of snake this is. It was sunning against my garage door this afternoon. Sorry about the picture quality. Blow up of a bad phone pic.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:35 AM   #2
HerpsOfNM
the head isn't clear enough to discernably tell with certainty, BUT....

That looks like it may be an eastern hognose snake. They come in a fairly wide range of colors/patterns, including melanistic individuals such as the one you've posted.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
cardicorgi
I can add that he is flared out defensively in this picture. I am still undecided. I thought when I was handling seeing it in person It was a black rat. Scales didn't seem right to me for a hog nose. But then again if I were sure I wouldn't be here asking!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Rich Z
Definitely a hognose snake. Many years ago Connie and I found a brilliantly colored baby that we brought home and raised up. Colors got duller and duller as it grew, and finally became jet black. You would have never known the two were the same snake looking at photos.

I was able to get him to take frozen/thawed mice after going through a scenting regimen using toads. After a couple of years, I gave him to a friend of mine because of the growing corn snake colony. A week or so later my friend called me and told me that he could not get the hognose to eat for him after many attempts. So I went over to his house to see what the problem was. My friend (Tim Hoen) had a frozen/thawed mouse all ready, and he dropped it into the cage with the hognose. Yeah, he completely ignored it. So I reached in, picked the mouse up by the tail, and dangled it over the head of the hognose. The snake looked up, lunged at the mouse, and ate it like he was starving to death. Apparently he became acclimated not only to the scent of the mouse, but also the PROCEDURE of how I was feeding him. He NEEDED to have the mouse dangled over his head like I got him used to feeding.

I guess I've always had a soft spot in my heard for hognose snakes. They are just so much fun to find in the wild. The put on a good show, but are really just puppy dogs in reality.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google