CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Feeder Mice look Wet and Sick...OK to Feed?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
zoiberg137
Feeder Mice look Wet and Sick...OK to Feed?

Bought two live feeder mice yesterday. They looked fine and healthy when I brought them home, then noticed one of them seemed to have a large red (bloody?) lump between the genitals and anus area. They still acted and looked healthy last night. Now one is looking completely soaked (even though there is no water bowl for it to have fallen into) and the other one is looking a little wet too. They both have no energy and their eyes are squinty.

Obviously they are sick, but I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of sickness causes these symptoms, and if they would still be OK to feed ( I'm thinking no to be safe!).

Old 03-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Dahliasmom2012
I would not feed them. The lump sounds like a tumor or possibly an abscess. Is there any wetness other than on the mice? Is it actual wetness or greasy looking fur?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Myca
My mice don't look wet...ever. I have no idea what would make your mice so ill. I am not sure I would be comfortable feeding them to my snakes.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
insomniac101
Do not feed any ill, or questionable feeder rodent to your snake. In the thread below, I posted a photo of a tumor that developed on one of my females. Better safe than sorry!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139567

Kathy

Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
smigon
Also, I would seriously consider feeding F/T. It is less cruel to the mouse and prevents the snake from getting injured from a fighting mouse. It is a lose-lose situation.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Zeramy
Just toss them. Not worth the risk.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google