• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Loosing litters

crazyd82

We are having a problem with our breeder mice eating their litters. I was told that it could be that they are lacking protein and that adding dry cat food to their diet might help. We tried that and still lost the litter. We have them in totes with 1 male and 3 females. Currently using aspen bedding. Have a water bottle, food dish, hide, and a wheel. This is our first attempt at breeding mice and got a few good litters before they started eating them. Any suggestions on how to take care of this problem?

I wish I knew - my colony has been going almost a year and occasionally a litter disappears but it seems to have slowed down to a rare occurrence. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes if they have a huge litter they will pare it down to a manageable size and nurse 5-10 that are left.

What are you feeding besides the cat food? I've been using canary & finch food with a bit of cheap dog food and mouse/young rat bricks added.

Another thing that could be a factor is that females love to build nests. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with aspen, but I bed mine entirely on newspaper and I tear more newspaper into strips, which they happily turn into nests. Best part is it's free.

I feed a pellet type rat/ mouse food. I believe its Kaytee brand. I'm planning on switching the bedding to a paper type like they use at petco in their cages.

I figure that a little variety of diet doesn't hurt. The rat & mouse pellets are good but I've had good results with mixing a few appropriate foods and letting the mice pick.

I do strongly recommend that whatever you decide to bed them on, also rip some newspapers into strips. They really like building with it.

Cleaning cages tonight so I'll switch to the other bedding. It's just getting frustrating putting so much time and money into it only to have to keep buying f/t feeders for our snakes.

Now that I think of it we were using a different food in the beginning that offered a variety. That might be part of the problem.

Cull the offending mouse if you can identify it. I find no matter the food, certain individuals are just going to do this. The hard part is catching them.

I'd say separate the females in the bin where they dissapear to three separate cage. Breed again see who eats her young and then snake food out of mommy snake. COULD also be breeding stress causing it, so once separated they may not eat them...

I do agree with what has been said above, if you can ID the female rather get her out, i have heard stories where other mice will actually learn to do this from an offending mouse as well so in the end you may find all of them actually do it.

I'll keep an eye on them and as find pregnant females I'll put them in separate bins. Any offenders turn into BP food. Hopefully we can get back to raising up babies again soon.

Ok so I don't know how to answer this from a snake owner perspective (I have never owned or bred mice), but I am a mammalogist and can answer it from a rodent behavior perspective. There could be several reasons.

Many animals will engage in this behavior if they feel that there are not enough resources to care for the young, such as not enough food or a high-stress environment.

Another reason: males have been known to kill/consume offspring in an attempt to bring females back into breeding availability faster. This varies by species, some rodents have fathers that will help with child rearing and others have males that are uninvolved and therefore might participate in this behavior.

A third reason: defective litter. If an offspring comes out with an abnormality mother's have been documented killing the young, and even the entire associated litter. This is something that can occur more readily with inbreeding due to inbreeding depression.

A fourth reason: young mother. Some mothers abandon/kill their first (or first few) litters if they feel that they are "not ready" to be mothers. This would be very unlikely in a small rodent though.

But, with little rodents it's most commonly stress related, and that's my best guess. So something is stressing out your mice. It could really be anything. Too bright/dark. Too hot/cold. Too loud, too small of cages, too little exercise, too many mice together, the male is too pushy/aggressive. Something stressful bordering the cage (like a watchful cat or something). Really could be tons of stuff.

Anyway, there's my two cents! :)

I'll keep an eye on them and as find pregnant females I'll put them in separate bins. Any offenders turn into BP food. Hopefully we can get back to raising up babies again soon.

My only concern with this is that adult mice can be really hard to reintroduce to each other once they've been separated. Most mouse keepers would agree that it's psychologically healthy for mice to live with at least one companion.

I'm not an expert, I only know what I've seen from a year's experience, but I'm not sold on one mouse being a habitual problem baby-eater. I would lean more towards stress, personally, from diet or environment or something else.

I just lost 2 of my female breeders to another female while they were in their "recovery period" after weaning/ removing the last litter. There are still 2 females in there so one/ both is the culprit. I have never had a problem like this with rats so find mice to be a tad more "evil" than i initially anticipated.

i had the same problem and i dont think anyone can really figure out why it happens it just does. Dont give up, keep trying. If you know anyone with an established colony try getting some of their stock. It took me three attempts to find good mice.

I think building a nest goes a long ways towards the mice feeling secure. I did breed mice for years a long time ago and never had this problem. I did add yarn in their terrarium which they spent a lot of time fussing with and hiding their babies in.

Back