CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

New corn snake won't eat

Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #21
Rigby & Marcy
How are the feedings going now? Any luck?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Nanci
So, to use dish soap scenting, I thaw in very hot water, with about 50% dish soap, and then rinse it somewhat, but not completely. In my last two feedings I got one non-feeder going with Ivory soap, and one that refused Ivory going with Dawn blue. They just all have different tastes, I guess...

Is the baby bitey or snippy at all? If you can get him to bite the pink, there's a very good chance he will swallow it. I hold the baby with about an inch of his head sticking out. Then I pole him in the neck with the pink. Most will instinctively bite. So you need to be holding the pink so when he strikes, his mouth will hit the pink's head. If you're really lucky, he will be so angry he will hold his mouth open for a second. Then, as soon as he bites the pink, freeze. Don't move your hands, don't move your head, don't do ANYTHING. He will either drop it, in which case, repeat until he won't strike any more, or he will start to swallow. If he starts to swallow, FREEZE and don't move a muscle until the pink is down past his neck, at least. Some babies like to gradually move to whatever surface you are feeding on. Some hold still. Some let you set them in a deli cup, or just put them down. Some let you walk around holding them. But for the first time, do nothing. Don't move.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #23
nebbers25
He didn't take it . I've tried tease feeding but he's a very reluctant biter it would appear. I'm pulling my hair out over this little guy.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #24
Rigby & Marcy
Maybe some of the experienced breeders will weigh in, but personally I'd be talking to the breeder about a replacement. We can see here that you've tried hard for the little fella.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
dave partington
Have you contacted the breeder of your pet asking what they recommend? / Are they aware of your situation? Whenever I have problems after making a purchase (of any kind) I try to keep dialogue open between myself and the seller.

When you transfer the pinkie from washed-or-boiled or whatever- to the deli, I assume you are using forceps, not touching the pinkie, in case there's any residues of any kind on your fingers. Personally I never touch the prey. I think sometimes baby snakes in particular can get confused by a pinkie which smells even slightly like the hand that holds them.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 AM   #26
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
When you transfer the pinkie from washed-or-boiled or whatever- to the deli, I assume you are using forceps, not touching the pinkie, in case there's any residues of any kind on your fingers. Personally I never touch the prey. I think sometimes baby snakes in particular can get confused by a pinkie which smells even slightly like the hand that holds them.
Very interesting, I never thought of that! I wash my hands with Neutrogena before handling or feeding, but never thought it might cause a refusal. Now I HAVE been on the other side of this conversation, I have handled mice then went to pick up one of my kiddos and they thought I WAS the mouse from the smell!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
nebbers25
UPDATE TIME

I tried tease feeding yesterday and was considering an attempt at force feeding but I didn't see a way to safely do it by myself given his small size. I decided to just cut the pinkie in two and put the two halves in the tank on the leaves of the fake vines I have in the tank and threw a big blanket over the tank. I had been in contact with the breeder as well and he suggest perhaps the temperature was affecting him. So I dialed down the temp to 80-81 (from ~84) and pulled up some of the substrate in the tank particularly in the warm hide so he would be closer to the heat source. When I got home this morning from the gym, I couldn't find either half of the pinkie where I had left them. I didn't notice any food lumps in him for the 10 seconds he was out of the hide but the pinkie was small so I'm hoping that's why. I guess I'll have to watch for poop to be sure but I have my fingers crossed he took them!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google