CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

burrowing and not coming out

Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Mospidey
burrowing and not coming out

I've had my albino motley for a year now, we moved to texas from new mexico about 6 months ago, before coming here i switched him to eco earth as substrate and found that he liked it very much, in new mexico i had the cool side in the 70-75 range and the warm side 80-85, using a hologen overhead lamp, no uth, when in texas my terrarium is staying 78-82 through out the tank, if i turn on the lamp my warm side shoots to 90, i have noticed when changing out his substrate i leave it moist and he will burrow, he likes to burrow a lot, and will stay under there for days even weeks. i have to dig him out to handle him i do this every day if possible as i want him to be hand friendly, but trying to get him out is a bit nerve wrecking. i have never been bit by a snake before i have had him strike but i get out of they way, is this normal? when i feed and put him back in he burrows I'm worried that he is not getting enough heat to digest. i leave it moist because he likes it but am having finding trouble finding his poop, if i dry out his substrate he will stay under his hide all day and seems upset until i remoisten, although with dry substrate i do find his poops on the surface to clean out.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
plasticoamericano
You really need to ditch the light and get a uth and thermostat. It may not keep him from burrowing but it will be healthier for him and it is way easier to keep the temperature gradient right. Trust me. And as for the burrowing. If you want easy access just change to paper towels or newspaper. It may seem like he likes the eco earth but in all honestly he may just be trying to get away from the heat of the light.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
DuxorW
Does he have nice tight hides on both the warm and cool side? I like to use sanichips as a substrate because it is easy to find their "mess" and it has a nice clumping effect, like cat litter, that makes cleanup very easy.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Mospidey
yes two hides one on each side, when the substrate becomes really dry where he can't burrow he will take cover on the warm side,

Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
smigon
Since he likes to burrow, aspen is a very popular and safe substrate. And you can find his messes easier. I agree, I am not a proponent of lamps, they can become too hot and dry the viv out.

If you are having to dig and chase him everyday, he can't be a happy camper. Give the dry substrate a try with a damp hide (sphagnum moss wetted and wrung out and put in a hide is a good alternative to the eco-earth) if he is fond of the damp.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google