• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Everytime I try to pickup my baby corn snake he just slithers away so fast

does he settle?

When I initially pick my boy up (~1 yr old) he is VERY active for the first 30 seconds or so. I just keep a controlled, entangled hold on on him, not a GRIP or anything, but just enough so he cant jump away and escape. He is even a little snappy at times but after that first >minute he settles and casually cruises through my hands.
Have you tried waiting out the energy or do you put him away right after he shows resistance?

Thats usually normal.. they call that stage the "hate-ling" stage.. eventually he will become calm and won't want to slither away... my corn snake used to be like that.. its been 6 months since i've had him and he is really mellow and calm. Don't worry handle him atleast once a day for 10 minutes or more and eventually he will be tame :)

Pick him up quickly and confidently, and then hold him confidently. Don't squeeze or grab him, but keep a solid hold on him, support all parts of his body, and at first only hold him until he calms down and then return him to his viv.

Also, try picking him up when he is under a hide. Mine will run like crazy and act like I am a hungry bird if I pick him up while he's out exploring, but if I grab him out from under an easy-to-lift hide, he behaves like a ball python. Just sits in my hands and is very laid back.

After a little while he will probably figure out that you are a nice warm, safe food source and so he will be more calm when you get him out. I promise that being calm and confident really does help. Our snakes can tell who is tense when holding them and they reflect that back bright and clear. ;)

Back