CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Sexing & Tail Length (Photos)

Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #21
Preita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley
I'd probe her.
lol

Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
CJBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
How old is the snake? How big?
I was told the female was four years old. And this animal is a decent length. (At least three feet long.) I didn't bother to weigh the animal yet, but I did notice that it would probably appreciate an extra meal or two.

Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #23
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco
I was told the female was four years old. And this animal is a decent length. (At least three feet long.) I didn't bother to weigh the animal yet, but I did notice that it would probably appreciate an extra meal or two.

Chris
It's definitely a tweener. It doesn't jump off the page as being male, but it's not what a typical female looks like, either.

Again, for comparison, here's a female.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #24
CJBianco
Here's the best shot of the vent/tail area. (I tried to mimic Joe's photos.)

(And now I think: male. Again. LOL)

Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #25
Joejr14
Still a tweener, but from that picture I say female. My 2003 amel has a tail that looks very similar to that.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #26
CJBianco
Thanks.

I have absolutely no clue what to REALLY look for. (I've just heard that females start tapering immediately after the vent. And apparently that's negotiable. LOL) So when I say "MALE" it's only a coin flip. =)

I sure do hope this is a female. I'd hate to go through all the trouble (and money) of a shipping exchange. =/

Keeping my fingers cross'd...

Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #27
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco
Thanks.

I have absolutely no clue what to REALLY look for. (I've just heard that females start tapering immediately after the vent. And apparently that's negotiable. LOL) So when I say "MALE" it's only a coin flip. =)

I sure do hope this is a female. I'd hate to go through all the trouble (and money) of a shipping exchange. =/

Keeping my fingers cross'd...

Chris
If it's a mixup, then you shouldn't have to pay anything. I'd expect the seller to pay for shipping both ways since it was his error. You certainly didn't do anything wrong---no reason for you to be out any extra money.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #28
carol
The more I look at it, the more it looks female. I agree with Hurley, have her probed.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #29
CJBianco
Oh! I thought to have the animal probed as soon as I noticed the problem. It may be a while, though.

(I own two sets of probes, have studied the procedure, and have even seen it done once or twice. I've just never found the courage to try it myself. I don't want to accidentally probe too far. I've heard it happens sometimes. And I don't want to hurt the animal. So I have to wait until I can find someone to do it for me. I'm such a coward!)

I was just searching for a little hope to tide me over. =)

Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #30
El Jefe
Okay....that's it! I'll probe it for you!!!
And then all will know....
By pics.....hmmmm.....could go either way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google