CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Beginner Feeder Farm

Old 12-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Rosy009
I haven’t tried that yet. I’ll have to give it a try this week.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
insomniac101
I went to Tractor Supply, and bought a 120-gallon galvanized steel livestock trough for my mice. They seem to do well in the communal environment, with a lot of room to move around. The tank is 48" long, 24" wide, and 24" high. The steel is very slippery, so I don't even need a lid with the 2-foot height.

I have several exercise wheels, and hide boxes for them. I remove late-term pregnant females to a 30-gallon aquarium to nurse their babies in peace. Then everyone goes back into the community tank. I euthanize as often as I need to, to keep the crowding to a minimum. Surplus goes in the freezer. It's nice to have all sizes of feeders available, as I have snakes of all sizes.

Oh, I go to the grain-processing plant, and get a hamster/gerbil seed mix in 50-lb. bags, to which I add oatmeal, Cheerios, and Mazuri mouse breeder blocks. My animals do very well on that diet, and the females have large, healthy litters.

Seems like a lot of work, but with just the one big enclosure, it's not too time-consuming. And with 50+ snakes, I need a large, steady supply. I sell some surplus locally.

Kathy

Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #13
Twolunger
I had the same set up for quite a while, but I kept it in a shed during the warm months and moved it to the basement for the cold months. However, I didn't remove the pregnant females. Several of them kept the babies together in one hide. You can do it that way provided your colony doesn't have any cannibalistic mice. We got good lab mice from a guy in the Romulus area.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
nancyg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosy009 View Post
Thanks so much this helps a bunch! I’ll definitely think I’ll be holding off until my baby garters are big enough to eat pinkies. I’m having issues with them even eating worms right now, so we’ll just have to wait and see.
I was given a garter by someone when they heard I had snakes, I am not sure if he was a baby, but he WAS very small.. I bought some frozen tilapia fillets (because you can't buy just one at the grocery store) and just cut chunks off of it with scissors. I also cut tails or feet off the mice being fed to the other snakes and offered those- much smaller than a pinkie and good calcium..My garter is a little trash can, he eats EVERYTHING, You know about avoiding thiaminase, right?

Watching him eat when he was little was fascinating, It wasn't exactly 'chewing' but it looked a lot more like it than my corns, And offering the occasional earthworm as he grows bigger is very entertaining...

Nancy

Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 AM   #15
Kayota
I started breeding mice in April last year. I have a few dozen right now. I've had nearly 100 at once. I keep them out in my garage and they do fine through the winter, but I have stopped breeding for now because one of them got her babies wet and they froze to death... I figured it wasn't really worth the struggle and I have plenty to breed when it warms up again. I have some frozen to last us through the winter. I started breeding because my corn wouldn't take f/t for a bit and I got sick of buying live every month. I buy big 30# bags of Mazuri breeder diet and they do great on it, some of the older ones are huge! I feed scraps too when we have them, and stale cereal and the like. I keep them in homemade bins (sterilite tub + zip ties + hardware cloth), a couple tanks and 5 or so critter trail type cages. I separate all the males if I have the space to do so as they will fight to the death when they get older. So I feed males off first. I separate pregnant females after having cagemates eat their babies a couple times. I have had good luck with my mice aside from that and I enjoy breeding for different colors to make it more interesting. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #16
Kayota
Meant to say that selling them locally helps support my hobby, I nearly paid nothing for my snakes when I was actively breeding but I'm taking a break through the winter as mentioned.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
beginner, corn snake, feeder, garter snake