• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Incubator sale

Buzzard

two corny
After filling our first hovabator incubator with 7 clutches(94 eggs), I had to go buy another incubator beause hoodini decided to drop 19 eggs this morning :). I went to tractor supply to get another hovabator. Lucky me they are ON SALE right now for $39.99. Also the aspen is on sale for $8.99 a 4 cubic ft bag(for our mice), which they are normally $9.99. Just thought I'd let everyone know....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/little-giant-reg-still-air-incubator-2167379

Those incubators rock. Question though: Do you place your snake eggs right on that wire, or do you take the wire out, put in vermiculite, and just lay the eggs in there? OR do you put the eggs in a little container inside the incubator. We used that incubator to hatch out the corns last year and we put the eggs in a separate container..

I put the eggs in seperate containers, and use the containers to control humidity. I leave the wire screen in the incubator. There is a center bump(so water can go under the screen but I do not add water), and the containers do not sit straight without it.

I grew up with that incubator, or one of its very close family members. We used them for our chickens... I will have to see if my father still has it.lol

Thanks Buzzard! That's what I did last year too. Outcast, we also used these for our chickens!

What size egg containers/how many clutches will it (comfortably) hold?

Depends on the size clutches. Here is my older one with 7 clutches inside, egg count of 20,22,17,16,12,8,6=101. If those 8,6 clutches would of been 12 or more, I would of probably had to use larger containers and they would have to go in a different incubator.

Here is the new one with two clutches....12,11

Oooopppsss.... maybe three by the end of the day :santa:

Thanks Buzzard! That's what I did last year too. Outcast, we also used these for our chickens!
Your more than welcome Ali

Depends on the size clutches. Here is my older one with 7 clutches inside, egg count of 20,22,17,16,12,8,6=101. If those 8,6 clutches would of been 12 or more, I would of probably had to use larger containers and they would have to go in a different incubator.

I have that snakes twin lol

Could the old one hold more clutches than this new one Buzzard?
Pretty corn, btw. :D

Thanks Nick...She laid 12 perfect eggs

Not sure yet, it would depends on the size containers.(because you got me curious). I was able to fit 6 of the 7 containers from the other incubator in the new one.

i thought the aspen would contain to many air particles (too fine)
???If you are refering to the lay box, then that is vermiculite and hatchrite or perlite mix???

Buzzard, thanks for the heads up. I got one yesterday. I was going to go the DIY rout but this is much easier.

Your welcome ZiggysMom. Yes it is much easier. I took 1 of the red air hole plugs out and was able to get it to settle at 83-84 within the first couple of hours after getting it. :dancer:

Last edited:

Buzzard,

That first Hova-bator you have Pictured! Thats The one I have!! I bypassed the wafer-style thermo and i'm using a Helix DBS-1000 Pulse-Proportional Thermo to control the heat! Does a beautiful job..if i might say!

Buzzard,

That first Hova-bator you have Pictured! Thats The one I have!! I bypassed the wafer-style thermo and i'm using a Helix DBS-1000 Pulse-Proportional Thermo to control the heat! Does a beautiful job..if i might say!

Very neat Rich... I have been using the older one(top one) for years.

I think I should mention to anyone just starting out, "NOT" to use the thermometer that comes with the unit. They tend not to be be accurate. Buy a thermometer from another source. I use a $10 walmart thermometer that gives a min/max temp. And it can take up to a day or two to get the temp to where you want it. I got lucky with the new one and hit the mark within a couple of hours.. I like mine at 82-84 degrees.

interesting and very insightful i may have to consider this if i can't find the exo incubator that heats and cools since my room doesn't have ac .... :D

Back