• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

i need some advice help :(

Yeaah no peeking till you see poo, wait another 5 or so days after poo, and feed another pinkie- slow and steady wins the race:)

Yes, there is nothing to be gained by bothering him. Wait another couple of days unless you smell a regurge. Even if he does regurge, the longer he has to digest, the better. There is nothing you can do to help him right now except to make sure temps are perfect - and patiently wait.

If you have a paypal you can easily buy Nutribac it will help your snake to establish the good bacteria to digest better. Unfortunately for the Europe is more expensive the post fee of the Nutribac (for all I paid something like 15€), but you can buy some book(s) of Kathylove too :)

well , a small update.
i just saw my snake on the heat side , i think he still has a small bumb tough im not sure cause it could be just part of his body a bit uphill on the substrate. I hope its not a bumb after 48 hours with a small pinky like that, its something that never happened.

Wow, that's good he's on the warm side! And don't worry if he still has a bump, even with a small meal. He's had many regurges, so he's probably low on stomach acids/good bacteria and it might take a little longer than usual, regardless of size. Plus, if he's been on the cooler side, it'll take a longer to digest, as well. Just be patient and try not to worry too much! :}

That's fantastic news! Now just keep his temps good and leave him be for a week, then feed him as other members have advised.

i agree with everyone about feeding schedules, techniques, etc..etc... basically everything. Except one thing: I would not advise you feed pinky rats right now, but altogether, rats are not bad. I feed rats to all my snakes (save the hatchlings) and they are not obese.

Nobody here advised pinkie rats...and I won't get into the benefits of mice over rats for corns (there are quite a few).

i didn't mean that i disagreed with anyone that advised her to feed pinkie rats. I meant about how supposedly "rats are bad mice are good". I haven't noticed any bad effects on my snakes.

snake is digesting its meal good, it will be 48 hrs tonight.
no regurgs so far.
my ball on the other hand is getting a good hunter xD
btw, it was a petshop that advised pinky rats

All right, I work in a pet shop and I will say without a doubt that taking their advice over the advice of folks on here is a bad idea. You don't have to know anything about animals to work in a pet shop. Just ask one of my co-workers, who sold a customer a horse halter as a harness for his pit bull. My co-worker honestly didn't see the difference....and he's been there TWO YEARS.

blaze apears to be doing good now, he's already switched on hunting mode yesterdays, and thats 3days only after feeding!

There is nothing wrong about feeding pinky rats, or any rat of an appropriate size for any corn snake as long as you are aware that too much can cause obesity. All of my corns get rats as special treats (except for the one or two that don't like them), and I prefer to use them on those that need the extra boost, such as females that just laid a clutch of eggs. Live pinky rats are my personal choice for the snake that has gone off food for one reason or another, but only if the snake is large enough to take them. For a corn snake the size of the one you are concerned about in this thread, even the smallest pinky rat would be too large and would most likely end up causing a regurge. But one it has gotten back on track and grown large enough to take prey that size, alternating feedings with mice and rats would help the snake gain weight a little quicker. You just have to make sure the exercise is there to ensure muscle growth. And I still wouldn't feed more frequently than once a week with the occasional 5-6 day period between feedings. Every time I try to increase frequency of feedings for a consecutive time frame, I get more frequent refusals and regurges.

There is nothing wrong about feeding pinky rats, or any rat of an appropriate size for any corn snake as long as you are aware that too much can cause obesity. All of my corns get rats as special treats (except for the one or two that don't like them), and I prefer to use them on those that need the extra boost, such as females that just laid a clutch of eggs. Live pinky rats are my personal choice for the snake that has gone off food for one reason or another, but only if the snake is large enough to take them. For a corn snake the size of the one you are concerned about in this thread, even the smallest pinky rat would be too large and would most likely end up causing a regurge. But one it has gotten back on track and grown large enough to take prey that size, alternating feedings with mice and rats would help the snake gain weight a little quicker. You just have to make sure the exercise is there to ensure muscle growth. And I still wouldn't feed more frequently than once a week with the occasional 5-6 day period between feedings. Every time I try to increase frequency of feedings for a consecutive time frame, I get more frequent refusals and regurges.
thanks very helpfull

Glad to hear your corn is doing better..Keep up the great work and with time and patience he will be back to full health in no time :)

Quick question for Susan..I currently feed my female corn rat fuzzies..It has become her staple diet..and I will say yes she has put on a few extra grams but I definitely don't see her as obese..Plus I did this under the choice of that I would like her to gain a little weight so she can be ready to breed in the summer. I'm thinking about after she has her first clutch I would put her back onto mice..Is this is a bad idea to have her on rat fuzzies? It really doesn't seem to be hurting her or causing her to gain weight obscenely quick...

When they are still growing rapidly, you don't notice it quite as much, especially if they're getting plenty of exercise. You can run into problems with a mature snake or one that you might be pushing a bit, for example, an '07 female currently weighing in at 260 grams that you want to breed in 2010 and are feeding over the winter. Her body is just about adult size, but you now she's not fully mature yet because her head still has that juvie look and seems just a bit too small for her body size. Feed her heavily on rats over the next couple of months and she'll get up to weight, but I'll lay odds on her being fatter than she should be and having problems laying her clutch if you breed her.

My hypo(?) bloodred female fits this category to a tee (although she is actually an '06 and was small when I got her as a yearling). Her current weight is 264 gms and as you can see, she's perhaps just a tad on the plump side. I plan on giving her more exercise over the next several months and keep her on her mouse diet. I don't think she'll ever be an overly large female, but I'll feel comfortable breeding her in 2010 if she gains another 70 grams of true size and muscle. But if I were to feed her rat pups to try to have her gain 100 or more grams in the next several months, she'll probably end up being too heavy for her frame and have trouble laying.

Last edited:
Susan can you show comparison pics of a juvenile looking head on a near adult and an adult looking head on an adult.

Back