• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sand Color

Nanci - you know the answer to the question before you asked it.

Now I am not trying to argue with you because I use aspen so that my snakes can have the biggest hide of them all the hole tub under the aspen.

However, you got to remember he is just a kid.

Love the Fatman

When did people forget that we are keeping wild animals in cage for our pleasure.. I'm pretty sure my enclosure provides a lot more of a natural looking at feeling environment than a 4 inch tall rubber tub with wood shavings. I provide my snake with multiple hides, climbing ares and, bushy plants and ample room for bathing, yet I SUBJECT it to gravel? Your ridiculous. And wrong. There is more than one way to do everything.. God forbid I do something different that you do Nanci..

There are non toxic dyes, I used to use them when dying wood to make parrot toys. Another cheap and non toxic way to dye wood is by soaking it in kool aid. You wont get that vibrant coloring but still does the trick.

Hey Bammer,

You got to be older than my oldest nephew not to be called "kid" around me :shrugs: and Jimmy(who wishes I would call him James) the Air Force sergeant is only 33 years old. Sorry to me you are still a kid and I am still my mother's little boy.

Love the Fatman

When did people forget that we are keeping wild animals in cage for our pleasure.. I'm pretty sure my enclosure provides a lot more of a natural looking at feeling environment than a 4 inch tall rubber tub with wood shavings. I provide my snake with multiple hides, climbing ares and, bushy plants and ample room for bathing, yet I SUBJECT it to gravel? Your ridiculous. And wrong. There is more than one way to do everything.. God forbid I do something different that you do Nanci..

Sure there's more than one way. The best way for the animal, and the best way for the human. Guess which one I try to provide.

I don't see a problem with a harder, heavier bedding provided nothing is going to hurt the snake... If he has multiple hides, then having a bedding that he won't crawl under is just one less hide and he can stick to the others...

I see what you are getting at though Bammer, i only have one snake and i do like to see him "out and about" but i'll just have to see how he does with this stuff and i'll worry about another bedding when i buy a bigger tank in a month or so

Fatman, You have got to be one of my favorite people on this site :cheers:

Sure there's more than one way. The best way for the animal, and the best way for the human. Guess which one I try to provide.

That comment is wrong on so many different levels.. Following that line of thought you should have never bought an animal to keep in a cage for your enjoyment ALONE, let alone handling it.. Lots of people use newspaper and paper towels besides me. Its far more sanitary and easy to clean, so you tell me whats best for the snake. You my dear are by far one of the most argumentative people I have met thus far.

people let's not fight...everyone does their own thing and as long as the animal and muman are happy it's all good' everyone has their ways

people let's not fight...everyone does their own thing

I wholeheartedly agree. I just don't like to be made out like some ignorant fool. Before I do anything I research it to its extent, then make an informed decision.
I, like anyone, HATE being talked down to. I'm all for exchanging ideas, but I draw the line when people start spouting OPINION as fact..

I wholeheartedly agree. I just don't like to be made out like some ignorant fool. Before I do anything I research it to its extent, then make an informed decision.
I, like anyone, HATE being talked down to. I'm all for exchanging ideas, but I draw the line when people start spouting OPINION as fact..
And that's why your snake isn't dead.Before anyone says anything , keep OPINIONS OPINIONS and facts fact I don't want to have to find the definition or this:twohammeror this:flames::madeuce:eek:r this:eats02:eek:k!!!!!!!!!!!

Informed decision? You stated that you stopped using aspen because your snake liked it.

As far as I can see, people are sharing their opinions and you have called 2-3 people argumentative because their opinions differed from yours. No one said that someone can't use gravel if that's what they desire. We simply stated reasons why someone might not want to. How is that argumentative?

yeah petco has the sale right now dollar a gallon for 10-55 gallon tanks i think. they said it should be going on till the 28th.. dont hold me to that, thats what i was told. they sell the screen tops for like 7 - 20 dollars depending on the size. i do like the other tanks better with the slide on latching top, in stead of having to use those clips. i think petco has zilla a 20l like that is about 70, and petsmart has some cheaper ones. something like. all living things, they are cheaper and made the same. its getting a little harder to find the ones with the slide on top though, they starting to just sell them with the screen tops with clips, but they still have them if you look around a little

yeah petco has the sale right now dollar a gallon for 10-55 gallon tanks i think. they said it should be going on till the 28th.. dont hold me to that, thats what i was told. they sell the screen tops for like 7 - 20 dollars depending on the size. i do like the other tanks better with the slide on latching top, in stead of having to use those clips. i think petco has zilla a 20l like that is about 70, and petsmart has some cheaper ones. something like. all living things, they are cheaper and made the same. its getting a little harder to find the ones with the slide on top though, they starting to just sell them with the screen tops with clips, but they still have them if you look around a little

Hmmmm, i have a screen, cover, lid (whatever you want to call it lol) that doesn't quite fit right and i don't wanna go through the hassle of trying to figure out a way of making it fit right on a different one cause it's just a pain, the thing i like about zilla is that the covers come with it, fit right, and it takes a lot for the snake to open it... That's the main thing that i like about it, but if Petco or Petsmart has a cover that fits tight on normal tanks and will not come open then i will be willing to go to a non-zilla cage...

Hmmmm, i have a screen, cover, lid (whatever you want to call it lol) that doesn't quite fit right and i don't wanna go through the hassle of trying to figure out a way of making it fit right on a different one cause it's just a pain, the thing i like about zilla is that the covers come with it, fit right, and it takes a lot for the snake to open it... That's the main thing that i like about it, but if Petco or Petsmart has a cover that fits tight on normal tanks and will not come open then i will be willing to go to a non-zilla cage...

yeah im pretty sure your talkin about the zilla tank that the top slides on for a tight fit. i like those. just saying those other ones are the same just a little cheaper, the name on them is All Living Things

what about a good sized blue gravel.. I have seen aquarium gravel that was colored and about the size of a "skittle" ...
When you say this, I picture those little decorative rocks, that are usually clear, in different colors, that are smooth & don't have jagged edges, like "rocks", am I correct? I use a couple in the bottem of the little condiment cups I use for water dishes for brand new hatchlings.

When you say this, I picture those little decorative rocks, that are usually clear, in different colors, that are smooth & don't have jagged edges, like "rocks", am I correct? I use a couple in the bottem of the little condiment cups I use for water dishes for brand new hatchlings.

I believe those "rocks" are actually made of glass (first picture) and they were talked about on a different page in this thread... but the aquarium rock are actually rocks that are used in aquariums (second picture), i would think either one would work though

gems-blue.jpg

Marine-Blue.jpg

This thread reminds me of a painting, hanging in the National Museum of Capodimonte, in Naples.
A parable painted by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, in 1568.
(This comes larger, at wikimedia,...and would look wonderful taped to the back of a ten or twenty gallon viv,
accenting pastel- or earth-tone gravel, of course.)

800px-Pieter_Bruegel_d._Ä._025.jpg

Check out these cage accessories. He has rock backgrounds, & hide rocks.
He's also someone that I would highly recommend for cages, as well.
http://www.constrictorsnw.com/cagessupply/accessories.html

dickdeul said: "One suggestion I have is to add background scenery to the back and ends of the aquarium so the snake is less distracted and improve your eye appeal."

I have been looking for a natural-looking background picture for my snake's 20L tank. I've been having a hard time finding one. Does anyone know where I could buy a terrarium background that's natural looking for corns (not desert landscapes, etc.)?

Thanks.
The link I provided earlier has textured backgrounds, that are 3-d-ish. They look like a rock wall, of sorts.

You can also check aquarium supply stores that have the rolls of various backgrounds, to put on the back of your aquarium. I've seen some pretty cool ones.

Another thing you can do is get some silk plant vines, & attatch them to the sides & back of the aquarium with suction cups.

Back