CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Thieves' Expanding Repetoire

Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Nanci
I loved the continuing documentation of these guys!!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
DollysMom
That's an amazing picture of the snake swallowing the egg. I know how it works but it still amazes me. Thanks. I wish I saw more wild snakes around here, but they stay well hidden.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
extreme_hypo
Black Rat

Zach, let him get his fill. Looks a little thin. Once it gets colder he will move on. Send me his tab for a dozen eggs. LOL

Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 AM   #14
Zach B
If he keeps the rodents away and he is doing a pretty good job of that I'm fine with him. He has startled several people around the house a few times always entertaining when you open a door or take something you have hanging on the wall in the shed off and he is right there

Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Aozora
So our egg production began dropping suddenly about 3 weeks ago. We went from getting 4 eggs a day to none. We knew black rat snakes were around, because we've seen them and we even saw trails in the straw--we just couldn't find them.

Then, in the past week, we caught and put into temporary indoor housing no fewer than 4 big black rat snakes. 2 a few days ago, and 2 today. All of them over 4 feet long. And all of them curled up *inside* the coop, under the nests. It looks like they were living there and holding shoving matches over who got first dibs. No wonder we haven't been getting any eggs!

All 4 got loaded into pillow cases and given free field trips. We released them about a mile and a half away, in the middle of a huge stand of lumber pines. I figure that should give us about a weeks' reprieve. I would have taken pictures, but a black rat snake looks like every other black rat snake. One of them copped an attitude at us--I think that one was our old friend #3 from the other thread.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #16
joann42
That is pretty cool catching it in the act.. Years ago I kept my mouse breeders out in the barn and one morning found a baby black rat in the main tub so packed with babies it couldnt move. Its amazing how much those black rats can stomach. If I fed my corns like that they would end up with a regurge.
BTW I kept the baby for a week until it digested then let it go out in the country.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #17
Aozora
Our crop of thieves is comin' in just fine in the summer heat.

(This is 4 days' worth. We find so many we have to pile them up in the same bin because we can only find enough free time to take them elsewhere about once a week. They got a free field trip today.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google